Got 3B evaluation for rebuild by Shop, need little advise. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As above Bill from Mtn High performance called with initial report. He did give thumbs up on it being a good rebuild engine.

However Bill wanted me to ask if anyone who has had 3B rebuilt kept old sleeves (which look good) and simply rebore them if they had good thickness then went with slightly larger piston? He said he feels very comfortable doing this and would only require boring like 20,000th ( chinese to me). Outside of this I would be replacing sleeves and pistons.

Crankshaft looked great per Bill. However the camshaft was junk and he recommended new one with new lifters. anyone have good source for these?

He asked that I also get standard main bearing, so gonna need one of those.

The head looks good and he noted the replacement head I provided has smaller valve ports. Since the head looks good is there anything wrong with just using it? He didn't think so at all and since we are adding Turbo I am guessing the larger ports are better. Bill's expertise BTW is building high performance Diesels and he felt very comfortable staying with what I have.

Outside of also needing an oil pan with pick up screen I got a favorable report for the blue troopy's transplant this winter.

Use the large valve head, use the existing liners if you can. Lifters are thin and can’t be machined much at all. Also getting hard to find new. Cam shaft can be reground and lobes fixed. Geoff at colt cams did mine.

Sleeve liners are $30-$40 each new, hardly worth trying to work with old ones unless they were like new. I would have a preference to buy all the hardware at one place rather than getting bits and pieces here and there.

Well Engines Australia not an option for the cam or lifters. Say they no longer carry or source them for this engine.

was gonna try and find a new cam prior to reconditioning. I figured there would be shop in Canada who sells these but guess I’m wrong.

I ordered some genuine liners for a non-toyota engine once, it was a real hassle putting them in.

LA Sleeves is one of the better machine shop suppliers, if I were to do it again, I would just let the machine shop source the new liners.

ideally, if you don't have liners in the block already, and its just iron, its stronger to just buy O/S pistons and rebore to the next size.

If you are replacing liners or adding for the first time, it makes more sense to go back to STD and allow for future rebores.

Agreed with what others have said, and just as an FYI for future reference, when a machinist says “20,000th” he means 0.020 inches, i.e. twenty thousandths (of an inch).
Thanks, Bill says the Liners are in great shape. He only recommends boring them out a small amount to make them perfect. IF they have plenty of thickness and have done well for quite awhile then it seems perfectly fine to follow what he is suggesting. However I am naive to what benefit replacing the sleeves has above keeping old ones in good shape. To be clear the machinist is not pushing to keep them he only offered it as a suggestion.

Use the large valve head, use the existing liners if you can. Lifters are thin and can’t be machined much at all. Also getting hard to find new. Cam shaft can be reground and lobes fixed. Geoff at colt cams did mine.

Called Steve at EBI but everyone took day off to go wheeling in the new snow in BC. Gonna try a few other sources then consider fixing what I have. Thanks for source for repairing it.

So they're lined cylinders already, and they may be factory original liners without any other fault than wear. None are slipped or cracked. Your first oversize is 20thou over, which will be new rings and new pistons in that size. It seems reasonable.

Rosco it’s not the Price of the liner but the trouble that follows when their pressed in and tolerances are not precise.

Obviously. Im just saying if the old ones are worn, get new. If the machinist knows what he is doing I dont see a problem. I thought new liners needed a light hone anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom