calling saginaw gurus (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Josh, welcome aboard. I read your comments above, they kinda sound close to what the original AGR guru's told me (Matt and Larry), they are the ones who recommended we use a stock pump with the AGR 1500 psi gear boxes- - -but know that I wouldn't argue with your expertise.

Also, they are the ones who gave me the following info, is it still valid ???
3 1/2 turn variable ratio box: 16 to 1 1st stage, 13 to 1 2nd stage .
4 1/4 turn variable ratio box; 20 to 1 1st stage, 17 to 1 2nd stage.
A 4 turn box never came up in any discussions ???

Last edited:
i also have 80 series tie rod ends and ruff stuff steering rods that are way over built compared to stock so i’m not really worried about bending my steering stuff. and i don’t rock crawl too much being on the prairies it’s more logging roads and stumps etc. i bought a 30 spline 3/4 inch borgeson and it’s too small!! what the heck. josh ( @AGR Steering ) maybe you could tell me what size shaft i have going into my steering box?
image.jpg
image.jpg

I can also tell you that this steering gear was built February 20, 2015 by Nathan. This was a year before I purchased the company. Nathan has worked at the same bench on the same patch of concrete for 19 years now and assembles about 30-40 steering gears a day!
Josh

I have 6 part numbers I use often for the FJ40's. There are 3 major differences since I build them all with the same ratios (number of turns lock to lock), and valving (steering effort/road feel)

The steering gear options are
Input Shaft is either 3/4-30 spline, or 13/16-36 spline
Fittings are either 1979 and earlier SAE Flare fittings (5/8 and 11/16), 1980 and newer Metric O-rings (16mm and 18mm), and I also weld in -06AN fittings so you can easily make your own hoses using either JIC or AN style PTFE hoses.

I prefer to build them with 3/4-30 splines because the shaft size is slightly smaller and the couplers are slightly cheaper and more common, with the Metric O-ring fittings or AN style fittings welded in. @franklin40 thats how I would have recommended yours if you purchased it from me. You wont have any issues with yours but if you do you can call and ask for me direct.

I have some pictures of a FJ40 that Velocity Restorations built using my steering gear not long ago that I will post on my Instagram Page tomorrow morning.

JOSH

i will have a borgeson tomorrow of the correct size so all good. based on the picture i showed you can you tell me what size hose fittings i will need?

franklin40, I have the 1979-older SAE hose kits on ebay #264557485834, and I have the 1980-newer metric hose kits at ebay #254444267562

Last edited:
i have a mercedes engine though that i’ll likely need a custom hose. ill have to figure that out. it’ll need a mercedes pump end and a saginaw end unless both used a common size.

@franklin40 I can tell from the part number. The part numbers are intelligent. This steering ports on this steering gear are the Metric O-ring, 16mm and 18mm. I can also likely help you with the pump depending on which engine you are running.

@Downey, so you are still in the parts business? Is it Downey Off Road? Also are you interested in the 16 "Downey" Private Labeled steering gears we've had in stock for years?

I'm still in business, running an ebay store on the very internet that put Downey out of business. We went from 5 competitors to 65 dot.com competitors almost over night. I'm not financial able to buy the 16 Downey private labeled gear boxes, but there may be guys on Mud who would like a Downey box. As I recall, they were not the 1500 psi units, but they did have the stainless steel internals, and the dual stages. I can't remember if they were the 3.5 turn boxes or the 4.250 boxes, but I've always preferred the 3.5 turn boxes.

@franklin40 I can tell from the part number. The part numbers are intelligent. This steering ports on this steering gear are the Metric O-ring, 16mm and 18mm. I can also likely help you with the pump depending on which engine you are running.

@Downey, so you are still in the parts business? Is it Downey Off Road? Also are you interested in the 16 "Downey" Private Labeled steering gears we've had in stock for years?

im pretty sure i have the mercedes fittings. just need to get hoses made to connect them to the saginaw ends. it’s the OM617 from a 1981 TD300

My Saginaw Steering Gear Hose Kit 910815 (metric) and Kit 910816 (SAE Flare) uses Parker Hydraulics Industrial Fittings and Hose. I highly recommend these because they are sweeping flow style fittings rather than the square corner type of fittings. This is most important especially when using a high performance pump because the square style fittings interrupt flow, reducing volume delivery and creating heat. I'm looking for one of my old hydraulic manuals that show a great diagram on how cavitation and aeration is often created by the hot spots in the corners of the square corner type fittings.

These style fittings and hoses are DOT certified and are also used on industrial equipment and excavation equipment like backhoes and dozers.

JOSH

FJ40 Hose Kit.jpg

I have to admit that's funny. I just blew sprite out my nose a little!

As far as tech goes I don't mind sharing anything I know. I do have to give some credit though, even though steering is my career, I credit Jewell Bohannan for making me a cruiser head early! He hired me at his Cruiser specialty off road shop at the age of 17! The guy was/is still my go to for tech knowledge on vintage cruisers!

I have to admit that's funny. I just blew sprite out my nose a little!

As far as tech goes I don't mind sharing anything I know. I do have to give some credit though, even though steering is my career, I credit Jewell Bohannan for making me a cruiser head early! He hired me at his Cruiser specialty off road shop at the age of 17! The guy was/is still my go to for tech knowledge on vintage cruisers!

Is he still in the business?

the shop ordered me the right u joint but the distributor sent the wrong one. just got the correct one yesterday and it fits great on the input shaft. now i have to mount it. on the frame to check for clearance. ill post up some pictures in the next couple days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom