How do I remove these? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
These little black ends look like they’re just melted plastic. I was thinking of cutting it off, replacing my cloth on the grill speaker, then using a short screw with a wash to re-secure it.

Background, this is holding the cloth grill panel for the rear sub to the trim piece—all I had to do was unscrew it from the larger panel at the back to gain access.

Any ideas on how I could best tackle this or another method that might be easier?
(There are six black ends in total)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

that probably hold the whole speaker grill onto the trim as it is the same color

that probably hold the whole speaker grill onto the trim as it is the same color

what? I know where this comes from, I’m just trying to replace the cloth since it’s dirty and worn. I need to take the grill price off, but it’s being held by those black ends—I’m asking how I can do that without breaking it

what? I know where this comes from, I’m just trying to replace the cloth since it’s dirty and worn. I need to take the grill price off, but it’s being held by those black ends—I’m asking how I can do that without breaking it

Those are called "heat stakes" and they are straight posts that are melted after assembly. They are not removable.

My solution was to pull out the cover by carefully slipping it out/off. The black underneath is a pretty clean look.

A steam cleaner is another option if you want to keep the cloth.

End of the day, you cannot remove those and reinstall it, far as I can tell. *Edit: I stand corrected by @GTV and @MongooseGA . I guess you can heat it up, pry it apart and heat it up again.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTV
Actually you can remove and reinstall. Did it quite often when I was an automotive upholsterer.

You only need a heat gun. Carefully heat the melted plastic up until it softens enough to pry the speaker panel away from the main panel. Once recovered just put the panel back in place, heat them up again and mushroom the tops to secure.

Actually you can remove and reinstall. Did it quite often when I was an automotive upholsterer.

You only need a heat gun. Carefully heat the melted plastic up until it softens enough to pry the speaker panel away from the main panel. Once recovered just put the panel back in place, heat them up again and mushroom the tops to secure.

This.

Or, if you're impatient, cut them and re-secure with some JB stick.

Tey folex on the clothes it works miracles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom