Consensus on OEM Split Rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
If you were to score a truck with them already on it would you keep them or swap them out?

1. 👎 Too much danger to bother with.
2. 👎 Too much trouble to bother with.
3. 👍 For expedition travel you can carry tubes to deal with flats with less weight than a second full "spare"
4. 👍 Cool factor
5. 👎 Limited tire selection available to fit rims

What else?

Toyota splits aren't that dangerous... I've taken them down myself with no issues/concerns. They aren't like a giant CAT loader split rim. Tyre pliers and a tire spoon and takedown/reassembly is pretty straightforward and dangerous. @JohnnyC will back me up on this I think.

I run them on my imported FJ40... and my only concern is eventually finding a tire shop to do them for me if I don't want to bother. That said, I can just buy my own tires, mount them myself, and have them balanced somewhere.

I was a truck stop tire repairman in the 70s and worked on 20" and 22" truck tires with what are called multi-piece wheels. There are flat based wheels with a lock ring.

Toyota wheels share the same design - they are not split rims. True split rims have a completely different design.

True split rims were inherently dangerous and were banned by the feds. Tire shops correctly refuse to service true split rims.

So long as the wheels and lock rings are in good condition I did not consider multi-piece wheels inherently dangerous. Worthy of a lot of respect, but safe if you were careful.

The only time I got hurt was a tubeless semi-truck tire on a drop center wheel that blew off the rim while I was airing it up. It was a brand new but defective tire.

If I still had an FJ40 I'd run the multi-piece wheels. Reasons being having a tube makes them easy to repair and I have to admit, the cool factor plays in. The 7.50-16 is a good enough choice for tire size that the Camel Trophy Land Rovers used it for some of the worst driving ever.

They are pretty common in the middle east. My 1994 FZJ75 pickup has brand new ones and I plan on keeping them when I ship it back to the US. They definitely look "right" for that vehicle.

require tubes!
Available from Summit... and other places. A spare tube is a much smaller "spare" footprint than another mounted tire. ;)

So I’m new to this. My imported HJ45 has them. I’m assuming they require a different type of tire? You don’t put a tube in a tubeless tire do you?

So I’m new to this. My imported HJ45 has them. I’m assuming they require a different type of tire? You don’t put a tube in a tubeless tire do you?
You can. I’ve put tubes in tubeless tires several times over in the Middle East... never had an issue.

You have to make sure your tubes are sized appropriately for the size of tire you get.

Also, you're gonna need a liner that goes between the tube and the rim, FYI...

@JohnnyC can give you pointers on where to find this stuff domestically here... so far I've not had to work on my split rims or tires/tubes stateside. But I've been running them on my 40 without issue. I think the internet and truck-stop style tire shops are best suited to provide tubes and liners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom