PHH clamp tightness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just did the PHH, curious how tight I should make these clamps. I'm not used to this style, looking for the sweet spot with them. Anyone use them before have any advice with them? It seems like you can toghten to a point with resistance then it loses resistance on the bolt and I'm not sure if I should keep tightening after that point.

Screenshot_20200904-011440.png

O those clamps are just free hanging at the moment will get them I the right positions when I figure out the clamp tightness. This was the phh before with the old clamps, what a tight job I won't be forgetting.

Screenshot_20200904-010351.png

You'll know when they're tight enough. I would assume you're using a smaller wrench, not generating torque like it's a 3/4" breaker bar. If it leaks, tighten more.

Check Um after a few heat cycles
I'm lucky enough to have the engine from a donor vehicle going in and realize that I've got spring clamps from both vehicles (that are on one side of the FHH and PHH) Would it hurt anything to use exclusivley those? Unless someone can bring a good arguement against them... I'm going to go for it 👍

* OP, I added instructions below. I would aim for equal expansion/contraction.

They have torque specs for constant tension clamps.
Check with the manufacturer of the clamps but impossible to get a torque wrench on those.

They have a visual tension check - You will see the end opposite the bolt head is a 'nub' that sticks out.
(depending on maker, the nub should stick out a certain amount)

washer stack (belleville springs) should be compressed, but not flat.

It all has to be eyeballed, but enough room for the belleville springs to work.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 10.30.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Toyota, the car company that everyone raves about for reliability, chose spring clamps. They have worked for 20+ years. Seems like a simple choice to me.

I'm lucky enough to have the engine from a donor vehicle going in and realize that I've got spring clamps from both vehicles (that are on one side of the FHH and PHH) Would it hurt anything to use exclusivley those? Unless someone can bring a good arguement against them... I'm going to go for it 👍
I like to use the Toyota spring clamps I don’t see point in the fancy clamps . I have never had issue with reg hose clamps and def haven’t had issues with the Toyota spring clamps.

I like toyota spring clamps too but unfortunately they don't fit over the gates green stripe tubing I used for the PHH and had to resort to a different clamp. It still works but just isn't consistent with the rest of the vehicle :(

I had no problems using spring clamps and gates green stripe hose. That was twenty years ago but I would guess dimensions of the hose has not changed over time. The secret is to completely open the clamp and lock it open with a pair of needle nose vice grips or other cable type clamping tool, get everything positioned properly then releasing the tool.

Only reason they use spring clamps instead of the wire clamps they used for years is because they work very well, better than any type of worm drive clamps, and to make the assembly process faster and not have workers dik around with tightening clamps.
FIFY

Except that automotive industry is using quick connects now because they found a quicker way than spring clamps.
Perhaps, but in the 1990's quick connects weren't a thing. And they aren't a thing for easy DIY retrofits now. So the options for the OP are wire clamps or spring clamps, if he wants to retain OEM standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom