2004 Land Cruiser Gauge Cluster FIXED! How-To (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've seen these guys around, anyone with experience with them? Would have to ship the whole gauge cluster to them.
have you tried these guys? I'm thinking of using them but don't have much feedback on them yet

I'm sure there shouldn't be an issue to fix LC, as I should have got it fixed if mine is LC instead of LX. I also know a local LC-er fixed his with the motors I gave. However, If you are looking for repairing on LX470's cluster, I doubt if they really know the difference between LC and LX, and would recommend you wait to confirm they know it.

Just share my experience for LX owners.
  1. Unless you have the source of LX style motors, no need to try this fix. LX uses different motors
  2. My motors swapping experience shows the issue might not be with the motors, but some thing with the logic board. The reason, once the LX has been parked for an extended period (days/weeks), all gauges will start working, and then most of them will stop working after a while.
Hopefully you can live with it on LX as I do... I also got a HUD as assistance when needed...

My oil pressure gauge is dead in my 2003 LX. I spent quite a lot of time searching for LX stepper motors about 6 months ago but didn't find any options. Still waiting for a source if anyone has found them as I'd prefer not to spend $450 for that company to fix one gauge. My gauges flicker when I turn the truck on and don't respond for ~30 seconds or so. After this period, all gauges spring to life except my oil pressure gauge.

I replaced the sending unit to rule that out and the gauge is still non-responsive...

FWIW: I just emailed the Tanin Auto Electronix and they don't even have the illuminated stepper motors for the LX trucks. They rebuild the existing motors.

Tells me that if they can't find them, they may not be available in the aftermarket...

04 LC with funky fuel gauge level. Behavior is its showing low or zero after startup and slowly coming up to some where close to accurate or lower. Question is where to start replacing parts? 1. Fuel level sender with the pump as its the original as far as I can tell, or 2. stepper motor. I'm leaning towards to start with sender unit as I can replace the pump as a preventive care. Looking for experts opinions, thanks.

04 LC with funky fuel gauge level. Behavior is its showing low or zero after startup and slowly coming up to some where close to accurate or lower. Question is where to start replacing parts? 1. Fuel level sender with the pump as its the original as far as I can tell, or 2. stepper motor. I'm leaning towards to start with sender unit as I can replace the pump as a preventive care. Looking for experts opinions, thanks.

Mine had been doing the same for a year or so. Just replaced Fuel Sender and Pump. Seemed to fix the issue!

Mine had been doing the same for a year or so. Just replaced Fuel Sender and Pump. Seemed to fix the issue!

That's what I was thinking too. Where did you buy the sender unit and pump?

Best price I could find was Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online

All in with sender, pump and gasket was $500ish...
Thanks, looks like faster and cheaper to get from half-away across the planet

1591867090929.png

My LX guages have been acting up intermittently whereas sometimes all the gauges start shuttering and sometimes only half of them do until eventually some If not all of them will quit working entirely. Currently for the time being if I shut the vehicle down for approximately 5 minutes it all seems to reset itself and start back working again until the next go around which seems to take an hour or so before it starts to act up again... does this sound like the the issues everyone else is having here

I could not find replacement stepper motors for the LX after an extensive recent search. I just bought a used eBay cluster and will perform piecemeal fixes to get a working tach again.

For wonky gauges ensure the two retaining bolts for the wire harness connectors are well seated. Use a socket and give it 20 full turns; it should never tighten but will ensure the bolt is properly seated in the captive nut

I could not find replacement stepper motors for the LX after an extensive recent search. I just bought a used eBay cluster and will perform piecemeal fixes to get a working tach again.

For wonky gauges ensure the two retaining bolts for the wire harness connectors are well seated. Use a socket and give it 20 full turns; it should never tighten but will ensure the bolt is properly seated in the captive nut
Thanks for the response, The way they have been acting would be inherent of a loose connection so I did just uninstalled and reinstalled to see if anything looked suspicious and was sure to tighten the two harness connecting screws all the way so cross my fingers we’ll see what happens.... Will give it some time and post here either way... Hopefully it remedies itself

Welp, tach started doing the stepper dance today. Looks like this is my new adventure. :bang:

Options seem to be a new cluster for $$$$$, a refurb for $$$$, or Tanin rebuild for $500 unless someone has a better idea.

Has anyone found new / used steppers for or successfully rebuilt the 03+ LX Steppers yet (besides Tanin)? It looks like the same steppers are used on 2003 (83800-6D660), 2004-5 (83800-6D661) and 2006-7 (83800-6D662) LX clusters. I love to find a better solution.

@Hokie LX @AFei or anyone else cracked this yet?

Welp, tach started doing the stepper dance today. Looks like this is my new adventure. :bang:

Options seem to be a new cluster for $$$$$, a refurb for $$$$, or Tanin rebuild for $500 unless someone has a better idea.

Has anyone found new / used steppers for or successfully rebuilt the 03+ LX Steppers yet (besides Tanin)? It looks like the same steppers are used on 2003 (83800-6D660), 2004-5 (83800-6D661) and 2006-7 (83800-6D662) LX clusters. I love to find a better solution.

I just gave up the idea to spend hundreds of dollars to fix or replace the cluster. And, it's almost impossible to find the replacement motor for LX. Even you could find one, I still doubt it may help. To my experience, the stepper motor may look like the culprit but I highly doubt it. I have proven that all "bad" motors were actually good working, by swapping good and bad one. It's more like a bad spot instead of bad motor. So I believe the issue should be on the logic board, maybe just an aged resistor or capacitor. I guess the company doing the refurbishment must know the trick.

My current work around is to use a HUD to show the essential info, speed and RPM. And I like the idea to replace the radio with an Android "Tesla" style radio unit on which you may run OBD scanner app to show most of the info. Doing my homework now...

I just gave up the idea to spend hundreds of dollars to fix or replace the cluster. And, it's almost impossible to find the replacement motor for LX. Even you could find one, I still doubt it may help. To my experience, the stepper motor may look like the culprit but I highly doubt it. I have proven that all "bad" motors were actually good working, by swapping good and bad one. It's more like a bad spot instead of bad motor. So I believe the issue should be on the logic board, maybe just an aged resistor or capacitor. I guess the company doing the refurbishment must know the trick.

My current work around is to use a HUD to show the essential info, speed and RPM. And I like the idea to replace the radio with an Android "Tesla" style radio unit on which you may run OBD scanner app to show most of the info. Doing my homework now...
Hi @AFei would you post the HUD unit you have or ones you looked at? Thank you

Luckily it's only my oil pressure gauge which is acting up which is not my most concerning gauge that could have gone out.

When the time comes, I'll likely sent it out to have it rebuilt.

I agree, I don’t think the stepper motors are the problem. Every time I have to unhook the battery to work on something when I hook it back up all the gauges work. Makes me think it is a resistor or something as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom