Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What size resistor? Ill put this on my winter to do list.

I ordered the following from Super Bright LED's:

(2) RL-650-K: 50W LED Load Resistor kit $4.95

I finally got around to changing out the silver hardware on the faux beadlock rings on my SCS wheels. I think these took a few months to arrive from China back when I ordered them. You've got to take it easy when installing them as they are polymer. I like the look, but only time will tell if they hold up. If they don't I'll have the factory hardware power coated and reinstall them.

yr8xjTt.jpg

f6MQA1C.jpg

fWZrgyd.jpg

I've been a bit disappointed with the finish durability of my SCS wheels. They have quite a bit of rock rash in a short amount of time, they've been installed for about six months. In a few years when I need new tires I'l have them blasted and powder coated.

I've been a bit disappointed with the finish durability of my SCS wheels. They have quite a bit of rock rash in a short amount of time, they've been installed for about six months. In a few years when I need new tires I'l have them blasted and powder coated.

I agree, mine aren't aging as well as I had hoped they would either. I'd put them in the same category as Fuel wheels in regards to finish durability, which isn't saying much lol. It seems every year there is a new flavor of the week wheel company and you can almost peg the year of the builds based off of the wheels that most choose, too funny. Fifteen52 and Alpha Equipt are the most recent hot girls in school, who knows who it'll be next year.

EDIT: I was quoting post - Builds - Tex's 2019 GX460 build

3rd party 2020+ headlight options now out for '14-'19 models... CL/IH8Mud member (hzhao) ordered a set.. not cheap but far less than OEM and supposedly plug and play.

I see a number wanting to retrofit 2020 headlights as well but at $2200/each new and now CANBUS driven that mod will be a few years out. Even used/damaged headlights won't be cheap and far from plug and play on the electrical side.

2616994850_w640_h640_2616994850_001878c362d2738573e5565a6662157b26c833c8.jpg

I fabbed these up earlier this evening. Not the prettiest brackets out there but they keep the lights flush and up and out of the way. Simply put, they get the job done and once mounted they are pretty robust. The jury is still out on whether or not I'll have trim them or possibly adjust the bend once the sliders go on, but I think just from eye balling it that they will be fine.

I used a piece of 1/8" by 1.5" flat aluminum stock.

Pjy8oLf.jpg

I then marked all of the necessary holes for the bolts and for the wire to run through the mounting bracket when mounted flush.

i4FZST3.jpg

I used a set of Amazon "Rigid" knock-off rock lights. The location of the wire at the back of the light tended to vary from one to the other. This required a little enlarging of the holes in order to get the wire to sit flush at times.

SSXOJbS.jpg

I reused the existing threaded holes from the factory step supports in order to mount the brackets. I pre-bent the brackets in the vice before mounting the lights and then the brackets to the truck. Once fully supported against the truck you can adjust the bend in the bracket by hand.

QGJKqMk.jpg

GDqIkRj.jpg

I still need to finish wiring them back into the factory puddle light harnesses, hopefully I can get that done this weekend along with the slider install. The aluminum was $11.99 for a 4ft stick and the puddle lights were $20 on Amazon. So for a little more than one pair of Rago Rock Light Brackets I have four LED puddle lights with brackets, I can't complain. I'll post up pics with the finished product once I get them wired in.

Quick Q, where can I get that aluminum? I’ve ordered my rock lights and I’m getting ready to remove my running boards.

Quick Q, where can I get that aluminum? I’ve ordered my rock lights and I’m getting ready to remove my running boards.
As an R&D engineer McMaster-Carr is my go-to bible for almost everything I ever prototype: McMaster-Carr
From where I'm at, if I order early enough, I can get my order same day. Albeit, not sure where you live and where the closest warehouse is to you.
I'll admit, they are not the cheapest (but fair), but they have everything and quite often much faster than trying to find it (whatever "it" is you're looking for) somewhere else.

As an R&D engineer McMaster-Carr is my go-to bible for almost everything I ever prototype: McMaster-Carr
From where I'm at, if I order early enough, I can get my order same day. Albeit, not sure where you live and where the closest warehouse is to you.
I'll admit, they are not the cheapest (but fair), but they have everything and quite often much faster than trying to find it (whatever "it" is you're looking for) somewhere else.

So something like this?

3F0F883D-BB29-4903-93B7-A742D4F5CDB7.jpeg

I bought a 4ft section at my local hardware store. $7-15 depending on length/width/thickness.

Yep, but what you have pictured here on McMaster-Carr, I've found just plain aluminum rod/bar like that in my local hardware store. Seems like your local Lowes/Home Depot should have that (or close to it) if that's all you need.

Last edited:
Yep, but what you have pictured here on McMaster-Carr, I've found just plain aluminum rod/bar like that in my local hardware store. Seems like you local Lowes/Home Depot should have that (or close to it) if that's all you need.

I’ll take a look and see what they have when I stop by tomorrow.

Finally got back out to the beach this weekend, it has been a while. The weather was amazing, low winds, clear skies and the water a nice blue-green. The GX continues to amaze me in the deep/soft sand, I grow more and more fond of this truck each time I have it out. Looking forward to adding a few more mods/accessories by years end.

m2JvGeK.jpg

FvUNneh.jpg

iLKsAnt.jpg

mnwh1dy.jpg

Finally got back out to the beach this weekend, it has been a while. The weather was amazing, low winds, clear skies and the water a nice blue-green. The GX continues to amaze me in the deep/soft sand, I grow more and more fond of this truck each time I have it out. Looking forward to adding a few more mods/accessories by years end.

m2JvGeK.jpg

FvUNneh.jpg

iLKsAnt.jpg

mnwh1dy.jpg

Nice!!

We traversed the Texas Hill Country Overland Route earlier this week with my parents following along in their 2nd Gen Tacoma. We split it up into two half days starting outside of Marble Falls and ending in Fredericksburg. We took our time and covered both days in under three hours for a total time of six or so hours for the entire 149 miles. I'd be willing to bet that over half of the route is paved, which I was pretty bummed about. I am not sure why I expected more of it to be dirt but that was how I was imagining it beforehand. I recommend the northern loops for the southern most portion of the route.

sIHRJPL.jpg

cKxuC6g.jpg

j5YsqSc.jpg

We must have crossed 50-75 cattle guards and a large portion of the route runs through and just outside of private property via ranch roads. The private property is clearly marked in most areas with signs warning you not to trespass so don't wander off of the the road in these areas. I found the stretch from Mason south to Cherry Spring to be the best section of the entire route. This contained the most rugged terrain and the James River Road Crossing near the bat caves. Parts of the route from outside of Marble Falls over to Mason were interesting most notably from Click over to Loyal Valley, this stretch also contained the dirt roads in the best condition as well. *See the red marks on the maps below

tE68pjg.jpg

Li0lkuq.jpg

BrsKrOd.jpg

oY6hGrC.jpg

We saw plenty of White Tail deer and some Axis and Mule deer as well as some wild pigs. Keep your eyes peeled for cattle, they are loose on almost every stretch of this route and they have a tendency step out in front of you at times lol. We only passed two others out specifically traveling the route and like ourselves they were covering it in short order. We never once needed 4WD and I see very few areas that would present an issue to even a stock Subaru Forester. Short of elevated water levels from upland lakes releasing or hill country rain showers that would bring up the multiple creek crossings there's really not much that would make this anything more than a docile drive in the dirt. Depending on the conditions I would safely recommend this route for even a 2WD SUV/crossover with decent tires. I wouldn't recommend they venture out alone but it could easily be done especially in drier conditions.

4xOyP4W.jpg

SaSA5rp.jpg

BAORMOm.jpg

i3oKHn8.jpg

We stayed the night at Dos Rios RV Park just south of Mason and I think it's the best option should you want to break the trip up like we did, but you can easily cover the entire route in an afternoon. We enjoyed seeing parts of Texas that we would likely never lay eyes on had we not taken this trip but I doubt that I'll ever return to run it again. I had planned to return in a few weeks with some buddies on our dual sport bikes but after seeing how much of the route was paved I think we will switch it up and avoid it. That said, it would be a great route for those on an adventure bike that don't mind slabbing large sections.

moLLaqW.jpg

x9FJlj1.jpg

E5JA3xe.jpg

txQb0QH.jpg

iV3DZUJ.jpg

wQOb2WA.jpg

Great to have parents that enjoy that kind of fun!

I finally pulled the trigger on a rack, I ended up ordering the Rhino Rack 84x49" Pioneer Platform with the Backbone base for the side rails. I personally like the look better than that of the Front Runner but it gives you pretty much the same platform/system and it sits about 1" lower to the roof line which is my biggest complaint about the FR. I hope to have it in my hands in the next few weeks and on the truck before our Big Bend trip in December.

I finally pulled the trigger on a rack, I ended up ordering the Rhino Rack 84x49" Pioneer Platform with the Backbone base for the side rails. I personally like the look better than that of the Front Runner but it gives you pretty much the same platform/system and it sits about 1" lower to the roof line which is my biggest complaint about the FR. I hope to have it in my hands in the next few weeks and on the truck before our Big Bend trip in December.

Will that rack support an RTT?

Will that rack support an RTT?

Of course. @TX GX460 has been running one on his GX460 for a few years now and I have spoken to four or more guys on instagram that have them as well and most of them have been using them with a hard shell RTT for years without issue. To be completely honest with you I have no real intentions to run a RTT on mine. I have been down that road before and I wasn't a fan. I plan to mount my MaxTrax, awning, Pelican cases, Rotopax and lights on it. For the time being it'll also hold my spare when off-road and overnighting in the GX until I can get a proper rear bumper/tire carrier. Unfortunately, I am at the mercy of these bigger fabricators on that one.

The only thing about the Pioneer Platform that throws me off are the crossbars that run from front to back instead of horizontally. Now that I am thinking about it, I need to order the wind fairing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom