The life and times of my 1987 Toyota Pickup - KLF Special (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This Saturday I went to my buddy's house to start working on swapping the bed with my rust free one. Here's the before pics I took (to compare to the new paint job)

i90fpX.jpg

Fp53E2.jpg

nKRDOz.jpg

yuZAm5.jpg

This isn't my first rodeo swapping body parts - last year my buddy and I did an entire body swap on an old Ford and have bed pulling down to a science. In an hour, the bed was off the frame and ready for liftoff.

sFheHG.jpg

oMhQ5u.jpg

mFjAiA.jpg

Kinda diggin' that @Manhattan look!

I know that the old bed did look pretty nice, but there was a ton of rust hiding under that shiny paint - more so than I even thought. Here's a few of the problem areas.

OZMQRV.jpg

AQb66K.jpg

4sgnNZ.jpg
wW8oN5.jpg

5Hx9w9.jpg

Now it's time to throw on my dirty rust free bed! Got it off of the trailer and into the air:

NpW82j.jpg
SgFB7Z.jpg

And then onto the truck! Here it is all done at my garage:

ma9x12.jpg

V4uI92.jpg

32lbmK.jpg

You wouldn't believe it either - once I got the new bed on I SWEAR the truck is so much faster...and they say decals don't add any HP! :flipoff2:

Anyways - that's it for now. I've tracked down a new hood, cowl & fender for the truck too - so I'm getting somewhere on this thing! I hope to have it to the body shop in the next couple days.

Last edited:
I was really liking this post 'til I saw the "new" bed in place. For a brief moment... ;)

The truck got picked up this morning to go to the body shop! They're going to start working on it on Monday and I should have it back in 4-6 weeks.

a19WV5.jpg

CcbiHv.jpg

yKw7G2.jpg
LN88JY.jpg

Definitely going to miss having her around and I'll post any progress pics I get from the shop. Just need to tell myself to be patient!!

The truck got picked up this morning to go to the body shop! They're going to start working on it on Monday and I should have it back in 4-6 weeks.

While they are filling in those trim holes in the bed, I would have them delete that plastic piece in front of the rear wheels. Slightly larger square holes to fill.

That's pretty safe. This is how it traveled from NH all the way to Denver, cantilevered behind the trailer axles like that. Seemed really sketchy, but the driver was insisting it was fine, and at that point it was no longer my truck. Sooo... 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20171003_085416.jpg

Any news?

Any news?

So far it is still at the paint shop! I did see it last Thursday as I was dropping off the windshield trim. They've got it disassembled right now and are going to be starting the body work soon!

Got a few pictures of the truck today from the body shop - things are looking good!

hJNg7K.jpg

v7nJxQ.jpg
nHgHJ8.jpg

4r2vNc.jpg

Interesting that they are fixing that extremely minor ripple in the driver's door. I remember John and I looking at it and we decided to ignore it. Or maybe that was some hail damage they had to repair?

I bet those guys are pretty unhappy about my sliders about now.

Geez I can't wait to see that thing when it's all done and pretty. Oh wait... I already did!

Interesting that they are fixing that extremely minor ripple in the driver's door. I remember John and I looking at it and we decided to ignore it. Or maybe that was some hail damage they had to repair?

I bet those guys are pretty unhappy about my sliders about now.

Geez I can't wait to see that thing when it's all done and pretty. Oh wait... I already did!

Yeah there was some hail damage on the driver's side door! The sliders aren't too big of a deal - yet. They're going to have to come off and then get re-welded on.

I'm excited to see how it comes out this time around - hopefully with the new bed it'll stay looking this good for years and years to come. :)

Smart move swapping to a new bed. That's a lot cheaper than trying to have the rust repaired. Looks like it's coming along nicely.

Time for a little update!

All of the body work is done and the bed has been sprayed. The truck should be done within the next couple weeks! Really pleased with how the bed has come out and definitely don't regret getting a new one over the old rusty one.

qfIU6U.jpg

Zm4AmD.jpg

ge9xHR.jpg

NzGVHr.jpg

Looking forward to seeing it all done!

Got some more pictures from the body shop - now all that's left is the inside of the bed and the cab!

6uEnnO.jpg

8klUlb.jpg

aLiYOE.jpg

KZuktM.jpg

What red did you go with? original Toyota red or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom