Help Needed: What would you use $3K to do to your 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys are making me feel good about this old beast.

So next stage, windows are slow or do not work at all. Where do I start?

Buy all new OEM window runs. The 20+ years causes these things to shrink, harden, and move. The motors also age and are probably lagging. Wouldn't be a bad project to R&R your rig to make it more comfortable to drive and use. It sounds like mechanically you keep up on things, and I would save as much money as possible but make the thing more pleasurable to drive.

You can get OEM motors I still believe for your windows, but pricey. Dorman makes decent motors for a good price, see Amazon or RockAuto. Lots of threads on rehabbing the windows.

MUD folklore will tell you to spend every penny going through things you have already gone through. If you maintain the rig, be confident but prepared.

Also, who painted your truck?

If the radiator has plastic tanks I would replace it if it's old along with a new radiator cap. Fuel pump and fuel filter is a good idea and clean the fuel tank, it probably has debris in the bottom. Have you replaced the water pump? I would install a secondary Coolant temp gauge that is very accurate. Check tie rod ends, suspension bushings, motor mounts. Check for any cracks in the frame near the steering box. If the transmission has 400k that's a lot. A high mileage automatic can go at any time or last a while.

Wait, how did you make it better?
Okay. This was the first thing that put me on the side of the road. The wires had pulled loose because they were being stretched. I had electrical tools and wire with me so I fixed it with new wire and new terminals. Should i just get a new one and rip out the one I fashioned? It's been going strong for two years.

Buy all new OEM window runs. The 20+ years causes these things to shrink, harden, and move. The motors also age and are probably lagging. Wouldn't be a bad project to R&R your rig to make it more comfortable to drive and use. It sounds like mechanically you keep up on things, and I would save as much money as possible but make the thing more pleasurable to drive.

You can get OEM motors I still believe for your windows, but pricey. Dorman makes decent motors for a good price, see Amazon or RockAuto. Lots of threads on rehabbing the windows.

MUD folklore will tell you to spend every penny going through things you have already gone through. If you maintain the rig, be confident but prepared.

Also, who painted your truck?
Thanks.

Maaco. When I tell people that they're shocked, because it looks so good. The guys at the place really liked the Cruiser and I think they did me a solid even though all I could afford was the bottom of the line paint job.

If the radiator has plastic tanks I would replace it if it's old along with a new radiator cap. Fuel pump and fuel filter is a good idea and clean the fuel tank, it probably has debris in the bottom. Have you replaced the water pump? I would install a secondary Coolant temp gauge that is very accurate. Check tie rod ends, suspension bushings, motor mounts. Check for any cracks in the frame near the steering box. If the transmission has 400k that's a lot. A high mileage automatic can go at any time or last a while.
Thanks. Good advice. No I have not replaced the water pump.

Okay. This was the first thing that put me on the side of the road. The wires had pulled loose because they were being stretched. I had electrical tools and wire with me so I fixed it with new wire and new terminals. Should i just get a new one and rip out the one I fashioned? It's been going strong for two years.

I would put it back to stock. From what I understand, those wires are specifically engineered for that application.

Radiator, any cooling hoses that haven't been replaced, Wits End blue fan clutch and water pump. Then, add the balance to a turbo fund for the future

Our 80 water pumps and fuel pumps are very robust; strange to hear those recommendations.

OBD2 reader ScanGauge to monitor coolant temps. A stock blue fan clutch is doing me wonders in Fla. heat. No need to modify (yet).

Water pump isn't expensive and is imho cheap insurance, especially with the 1FZ cooling system being critical to keeping the head gasket happy

dont forget a matching spare tire, you can fit 33'' under the back.

New window runs would be a good project! Personally I'd invest some of that cash into a spray gun and compressor and do some rust prevention.. pneumatic wire wheel all around the frame and axles to get any surface rust down to a minimum. Then coat with some Corroseal and a top coat. You love the beach as much as I do so you could also use your spray gun to apply a fluid film or wool wax.

Yes, you need to install new Fusible Links. Buy two sets, keep one set in the glove box in back. These are specifically designed to keep from burning your truck to the ground. This is a high priority thing.

^What he said. That isn’t regular wire. It’s more like a slow blow fuse. By replacing with regular wire you are essentially running a circuit with a shunt installed in place of a fuse.

^What he said. That isn’t regular wire. It’s more like a slow blow fuse. By replacing with regular wire you are essentially running a circuit with a shunt installed in place of a fuse.
BTDT before I knew better and almost burnt down the 80.

LS swap it

Fan clutch fluid ? No. Thinking of getting there blue upgrade. What do you think?
Seat gears? Seats are good.
New windshield? Yes. When I had it painted.
O2 sensors? No. But I will.
Grease driveshafts? All the time.
Check oil filter and make sure it’s not Napa/wix? Only use K n N
Fusible link replaced? Yes. I made it better.

What about aux fan to cool then engine bay down?

Awesome! Not much you need to do :) Personally if the eaton clutch is in good condition I'd swap oil and call it good before I'd spend money on a blue hub. (Good thread here) I don't think aux fan is necessary unless if the rest of the cooling system is in decent shape or you are traveling in very hot areas/heat soaking engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom