What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (92 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally finished the seat swap/carpet clean/new carpet insulation/sub relocation.
Dang that was a lot of work. But cruiser smells better, and my back thanks me!
PS. The right armrest is worth the whole thing.
View attachment 2434685View attachment 2434686View attachment 2434687View attachment 2434689
View attachment 2434691

Are these the XXL version by chance? Ever in the Greater LA area?? I need to sit in these things. Really want them, but hard to invest the cash without at least getting a few minutes in the seat!

Yeah, mine is so bad I have to be SO gentle accelerating from a stop or I throw my passengers back in their seats. Was that how yours was?

That’s what mine is like! Push push vroom! No smooth transition from idle to starting moving.

Good to hear the cable is the issue, time to order one up as mine has 283,000 on it and is peeling like crazy!

Are these the XXL version by chance? Ever in the Greater LA area?? I need to sit in these things. Really want them, but hard to invest the cash without at least getting a few minutes in the seat!
Yes. It is 3” taller than regular version, and probably 3.5” taller than stock seat.
Because it is all manual, the seat pan is 1” lower than stock. And goes back an additional 6”. (You can see this in the photo.)
This size seat is safer in a collision, and better ergonomically. With the stock head rest all the way up, it hit me in the neck. And I’m only 6’ tall. If I were to get rear ended it would break my neck. New scheel man head rest (top) is now level with top of my head. And top of backrest is at top of my shoulders. Perfect.
The price point is a tough one to swallow, especially since it is not even electric. But I am a chiropractor, this is my specialty, and I am completely anal about this stuff! 😝 I was not brand specific, or wanting to justify the Scheel Mann, but it met all my criteria. YMMV.

Yes. It is 3” taller than regular version, and probably 3.5” taller than stock seat.
Because it is all manual, the seat pan is 1” lower than stock. And goes back an additional 6”. (You can see this in the photo.)
This size seat is safer in a collision, and better ergonomically. With the stock head rest all the way up, it hit me in the neck. And I’m only 6’ tall. If I were to get rear ended it would break my neck. New scheel man head rest (top) is now level with top of my head. And top of backrest is at top of my shoulders. Perfect.
The price point is a tough one to swallow, especially since it is not even electric. But I am a chiropractor, this is my specialty, and I am completely anal about this stuff! 😝 I was not brand specific, or wanting to justify the Scheel Mann, but it met all my criteria. YMMV.

Are you ever in LA? I need to sit in this thing!! I am way over 6'0 and probably have no choice but to purchase these. Just such a large investment!

cleaned axles and knuckles [in between spending all weekend trying to figure out there is a ****ing secret “lock pin” that looks like a pinch bolt in the dobinson mrr steering damper that has to be totally removed before you can install the thing. someone over there needs 30 lashes for the state of their install instructions.]

BECB227C-CB97-458A-A262-8A34081CF6CE.jpeg

19E8C7F6-0D22-4A35-BB20-FFB2D67E9085.jpeg

F8401E96-B7E9-47C9-BC19-656903B09B2A.jpeg

C6670C09-8DAD-4259-8A6F-2CF122D1D734.jpeg

A64A3665-8F9B-47D5-BD4B-14B65B3265C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Took my spare engine apart for machining. Will be calling some machine shops. Any recommendations at San Francisco Bay Area?
AD8371FF-922F-4FD3-944D-18F96096967E.jpeg
10ADA07A-D9E8-4EB0-8202-8A90F37C3302.jpeg
C57F74DF-44A5-4E3F-986E-3C6D897E0C08.jpeg

The washer fluid diverter valve has to be one of the easiest repairs/maintenance items I’ve done to “Tallulah.”

A3AD91F5-F484-46FB-B110-38DBE0849A3E.jpeg

47275695-EEDE-4593-A916-E9376FA1ABA2.jpeg

016F211C-7F1E-499F-A109-78007075AD90.jpeg

You mentioned in your intro that you have two small kiddos… assuming you are camping with them, I might suggest lowering the platform for better vertical space, and you can relocate the cooler as needed… could go at their feet while sleeping, which still allows you full leg room, or just put it on the roof at night. Personally, I like the idea of resting the platform on the wheel wells, and it can be secured with bolts from 3rd row seating

Another easy thing with the current platform would be changing the mattress. There are plenty of comfortable sleeping pads these days, and you can enhance them by laying a yoga-mat-like material below. That would save you probably half a foot of vertical. Even cheap department store foam pads are decent.

How temporary is the setup? Would make sense to keep 2nd row seating for the kids, but it’s easy to remove, and would clear up a good amount of space for this purpose

If I were in that position, I’d be planning a platform that slides out of the way in order to use 2nd row seats while traveling. You could also take out only one side of the seat... better storage + keep 2 legal seatbelts for the kids. Hinge that portion of wood, perhaps? Like a “seat lid”

Rest assured, they will surely appreciate how cool it was to grow up camping in an 80 series with their mom 👍
Awesome advice, thanks! I didn’t take them this time, but they’ll definitely be coming with me some. I have a couple of nice sleeping pads and some yoga mats, so that’s good to consider. The set up here was honestly just me goofing off with some scrap lumber I had laying around...nothing permanent at all. Just playing with ideas and getting a feel for some possibilities.

Did you look at the recaro at all? Been trying to decide between those and Scheel Mann

Did you look at the recaro at all? Been trying to decide between those and Scheel Mann
I did. I felt the side and bottom bolsters were too aggressive and I prefer an adjustable headrest to a one piece backrest.

Last edited:
I could tell you most every little thing about the jeep XJ like factory colors, but still cataloging all those details about the 80, as a new owner. Want to eventually repaint my OE wheels in a black or anthracite, so gave them a scrub today. Legitimately thought they were a nice mellow champagne color that looked good with the black rig… nope, bright silver like the rest of them. Superclean is neat.

Last edited:
Thought I had a rock in the caliper after my mud hole fun ... turns out it was a sticky piston.
20200827_140439[1].jpg

Ate the rotor as well
20200827_140447[1].jpg

Did both sides to match. I need to work on my power washing skills, this was after I took it to the self wash place to rinse off.
20200830_110941[1].jpg

Back to new on both sides with fresh pads as well.
20200830_135817[1].jpg

Took the truck to the Jeep dealership near my house to get the brakes bled properly. They failed hard, told me they couldn't get the bleeders open because they were rusted and dirty and said I needed 3 new calipers. I told them to park it outside and leave it alone. They called back 5 mins later and had miraculously gotten the bleeders open. Then they tried to tell me the LSPV needed an electrical connection and different fluid ... what a bunch of scammers. Will never go there again. Sadly, the local Yota dealership doesn't seem much better.

Thought I had a rock in the caliper after my mud hole fun ... turns out it was a sticky piston.
View attachment 2435449

Ate the rotor as well
View attachment 2435450

Did both sides to match. I need to work on my power washing skills, this was after I took it to the self wash place to rinse off.
View attachment 2435451

Back to new on both sides with fresh pads as well.
View attachment 2435452

Took the truck to the Jeep dealership near my house to get the brakes bled properly. They failed hard, told me they couldn't get the bleeders open because they were rusted and dirty and said I needed 3 new calipers. I told them to park it outside and leave it alone. They called back 5 mins later and had miraculously gotten the bleeders open. Then they tried to tell me the LSPV needed an electrical connection and different fluid ... what a bunch of scammers. Will never go there again. Sadly, the local Yota dealership doesn't seem much better.

Pretty sure if you took your Land Cruiser to a Jeep dealer for repairs, your truck would come back in worse condition!! Haha ;)

Pretty sure if you took your Land Cruiser to a Jeep dealer for repairs, your truck would come back in worse condition!! Haha ;)

I figured it was just bleeding brakes, how hard could it be? After another hour they called me back to say they bled the brakes, but the pedal still felt a little squishy. They asked if I wanted to test drive it and I told them they are either done right or not. Then they asked if I wanted them vacuum bled ... WTF?!?!? Um, yeah, please use the piece of equipment the shop has for bleeding brakes to bleed the brakes. Sheesh.

It's still not 100%, maybe 80% right. Will make an appointment at my regular shop to have it done correctly. Still enjoying the Jeep place complaining that the brakes were dirty. I guess the Jeeps they sell never go off road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom