200 Series Head Unit Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I’ve recently acquired a 2009 200 series and like many find the head unit a let down. I read as much as I can about the Tesla style replacement and I’m still not convinced it’s the way to go. I’m leaning towards the 10inch unit only but I’m curious whether it’s a matter of ‘get what you pay for’ since these vary from around $600AU to about $1400AU. They all seem to be similar if not the same specs and I assume come out of China so why so much difference? Is it service back up, the quality of the adapters provided, warranty...
Anyway I would love someone to convince me which way to go and why so I can move on.
Thanks.

Hi all, I’ve recently acquired a 2009 200 series and like many find the head unit a let down. I read as much as I can about the Tesla style replacement and I’m still not convinced it’s the way to go. I’m leaning towards the 10inch unit only but I’m curious whether it’s a matter of ‘get what you pay for’ since these vary from around $600AU to about $1400AU. They all seem to be similar if not the same specs and I assume come out of China so why so much difference? Is it service back up, the quality of the adapters provided, warranty...
Anyway I would love someone to convince me which way to go and why so I can move on.
Thanks.

I have the big tesla screen in my 08, love it!
After market rear cam and good to go!

Really...cause that’s what I think I want but wonder if it’s too much....did you do it yourself? Where did you purchase it from?
Did the install myself. Paid about 1300 euro for it on alibaba or aliexpress, i don't recall. Pay attention you buy the 4gb ram an check the build in amplifier, some have them some dont.

There is a guy on YouTube guiding you through the camera connection and some other mods.

I just installed an aftermarket cam wich has a round view to get used to because its part of a 360 set, but has 10 times the better night vision because of its build in IR light.

I would say, go for it!

Internet, google maps, tpms, etc it all works perfectly wel and fast.
27eae0f0-b21e-45e9-873a-62bb6d7b19b4.jpg

Does it make sense to wait a little? My LX is a weekend toy/project so it’s not extremely important to do it right now. I’m curious if they’re still working out some kinks or will upgrade to more RAM or better LED screen, etc.

Does it make sense to wait a little? My LX is a weekend toy/project so it’s not extremely important to do it right now. I’m curious if they’re still working out some kinks or will upgrade to more RAM or better LED screen, etc.

Everything gets better when time goes by, development on electric devices always go fast.

Reactions: HGB
Did the install myself. Paid about 1300 euro for it on alibaba or aliexpress, i don't recall. Pay attention you buy the 4gb ram an check the build in amplifier, some have them some dont.

There is a guy on YouTube guiding you through the camera connection and some other mods.

I just installed an aftermarket cam wich has a round view to get used to because its part of a 360 set, but has 10 times the better night vision because of its build in IR light.

I would say, go for it!

Internet, google maps, tpms, etc it all works perfectly wel and fast.View attachment 2433139

I've been looking at this for some time. You answered some specific questions than I could not find. Thanks! Does everything work as usual after the install? You mentioned replacing the rear cam. Did you have to run a new cable for the new cam to work with the system? I want to do this but I don't want to tear everything apart and find out mid install I need a random cable or new amp. Seen plenty of videos. Do you have any links?

I would say, go for it!

Internet, google maps, tpms, etc it all works perfectly wel and fast.View attachment 2433139
Thanks for the feedback, I think I’ll give it a try. With your camera, are you thinking of installing the other ones(rear view mirror) to give the 360 view?

If you want Apple CarPlay or android auto you should check out Grom Audio’s VLine VL2. Retains all factory controls including steering wheels controls, climate control, etc. Also, you can use Apple CarPlay wireless(Dont need to tether). ProfessionaL install scheduled for next week, I’ll let you know how it goes.

If you want Apple CarPlay or android auto you should check out Grom Audio’s VLine VL2. Retains all factory controls including steering wheels controls, climate control, etc. Also, you can use Apple CarPlay wireless(Dont need to tether). ProfessionaL install scheduled for next week, I’ll let you know how it goes.
That would be great. Do you mind if I ask how much for the unit and install? As my first post said, in Australia I have seen it vary almost $800-$900 just for the unit and I'm trying to work out what I am missing given all the specs on varying websites seem similar?
Good luck, I look forward to seeing it.

Unfortunately the trim levels are different us to aus so except for fully loaded models in aus the hu are not the same.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I’ll give it a try. With your camera, are you thinking of installing the other ones(rear view mirror) to give the 360 view?
I will, but i have no hurry in it.
I jumped into fooling around with the AHC senors now, cant level left to right. :(

I wonder if this OEM screen would work. Dealer here in Abu Dhabi, says it fits their GXR and EXR models. Believe the VXR is their rop of the line model here, so it may be compatabile with a US spec version.

Second photo is a 2020 VXR center console.

E628EB93-6799-436A-A792-58A564802334.jpeg

9838671F-33CA-4B9B-95E7-43904C51045E.jpeg

That would be great. Do you mind if I ask how much for the unit and install? As my first post said, in Australia I have seen it vary almost $800-$900 just for the unit and I'm trying to work out what I am missing given all the specs on varying websites seem similar?
Good luck, I look forward to seeing it.
$599 plus labor for install. I am in the US and not sure if it would be compatible for yours. I’m glad I waited tho because I almost just went ahead with a Bluetooth module to stream music. Glad I waited since the CarPlay just became available!

$599 plus labor for install. I am in the US and not sure if it would be compatible for yours. I’m glad I waited tho because I almost just went ahead with a Bluetooth module to stream music. Glad I waited since the CarPlay just became available!
Thanks.
I think I’m going with the newest model here which will be about $1300US. It has 4gb ram, HD rear camera supplied, CarPlay PX6 cpu and seems to be adapted for my model....cross fingers I can install it without too much drama.

With most of these units if you have a rear DVD player and climate controls built into the existing Nav you'll lose some functionality. Rear DVD seems to be an issue (might still work with the remote and headphones in the rear but you may lose control from the front unit). HVAC controls seems to mostly work - some folks have had issues getting the physical temp buttons to work depending on the Android model. I've not seen a unit which supports the front windshield de-icer function which is a "soft" button in the climate menu and actually controls that function with a CANbus command.

+1 on the updates and pics. I have an 08 and am looking for a solution that retains just about all factory function and gains CarPlay. I can do without the rear DVD player. I believe there is a local shop that install the Grom components as well. The compatible unit Phoenix recommended was 799 and I think I still had to add something for CarPlay.

With most of these units if you have a rear DVD player and climate controls built into the existing Nav you'll lose some functionality. Rear DVD seems to be an issue (might still work with the remote and headphones in the rear but you may lose control from the front unit). HVAC controls seems to mostly work - some folks have had issues getting the physical temp buttons to work depending on the Android model. I've not seen a unit which supports the front windshield de-icer function which is a "soft" button in the climate menu and actually controls that function with a CANbus command.

My Temp buttons all work

I have the soft button for the de-icer, but don't know if it works. I could never tell the difference with the stock setup if it did anything,

There are unused connectors that could add a Rear screen or possibly if someone looked into it could make it work. I never used it. I can watch videos with the VLC app on my main unit. Watched Airplane while we were stuck in a traffic jam a couple of weeks ago. I didnt like the Video app that came with it so being an android I installed a better APP

I have the soft button for the de-icer, but don't know if it works. I could never tell the difference with the stock setup if it did anything,

In fairness I've never noticed the de-icer doing anything either, so it wouldn't be a total loss to me, though I've read other people's posts who say theirs gets the windshield hot. YMMV I suppose. I was just point this (and the temp controls) out because compatibility with US models seems to be all over the map. Good to hear yours seems to work - I'd read your post a while back of the installation and one day down the road once I've sunk $ into other modes I probably will replace mine as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom