Air Locker: Worth it?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have an unlocked 80 series that I'm trying to sell at a price point that is probably slightly higher than what you guys would probably buy one for. Reason being, I put a good amount of money into it and I'm trying to make as much as I can back. Do y'all think adding an ARB air locker (or any other brand) is a worthy investment? How much do air lockers go for? Labor costs? Will it increase the value of my 80 by $5K? More? Less?

You're throwing good money after bad. Do you have air already?

If you drop the 3rds yourself and do the wiring and running of airhoses, my guess it is air locker cost + $300-500 in labor. If you dont have air, you'll need compressor, wiring for compressor, switches into cabin etc.

Why not do a harrop if you're going to do it? I still think it is a bad idea....

It is a good rule of thumb that you will never get your money back for aftermarket stuff on any used vehicle. You will lose money if you add ARB lockers and then sell the truck. The ARB lockers are arguably better than the oem lockers but they will not add value to the vehicle like OEM lockers would.

OEM lockers add value, not because they are amazing lockers or the best lockers. Rather they add value because they are OEM and rare. Plus the fact that there are people who would pay a couple extra thousand just to show off their factory lockers on this forum....

This isn't a kitchen remodel... Unless your repairing a problem that would discourage most people from buying your truck it's not worth spending money on it just to sell it. You're better off adjusting your price to what the market will bear. That will be less than the cost of having an ARB installed.

And not sure what you've put all the money into on your rig but if its mostly aftermarket upgrades you won't find many willing to pay extra money for that. Doesn't mean you won't get your price, but you may have to wait a while for the right buyer.

Unlocked vs locked 80Series aren’t very different in resale value. In fact I will ALWAYS buy a cherry non-locked over an ok locked 80 any day.

I’m no fan of ARB at all. Harrop 100% if you decide you must have lockers.

well you know i agree with you but man those idiots on that facebook group will drop 10K extra for factory lockers. i mean mint truck with open diffs??? 10K on a good day. rusted out s***box with a blown head gasket, 3 wrecks but FaCtOrY TrIpLe LoCkEd OmGz they will loose there mind and get in a bidding war.

well you know i agree with you but man those idiots on that facebook group will drop 10K extra for factory lockers. i mean mint truck with open diffs??? 10K on a good day. rusted out s***box with a blown head gasket, 3 wrecks but FaCtOrY TrIpLe LoCkEd OmGz they will loose there mind and get in a bidding war.

Dude I'm about done with that fb page.. so many clowns there its ridiculous.

On a serious note OP I'd cut my losses and list it at a reasonable price (and no not $25k obo). The lockers wouldn't get you an extra $5k especially on a basic rig with 260k+ miles and no rebuild. Not trying to be an ass just being realistic

Haha, what you put into a vehicle has nothing to do with what you get back in a sale. Otherwise my truck would be worth at least triple what I could sell it for today.

Don't waste your money. Better yet, sell it for what it's actually worth, swallow the loss, and proceed in life with more realistic expectations.

i have ARB air lockers....never had a problem and in fact, it is better than factory as it engages way faster with a flip of a switch.. All the jeeps run after market axles also run air lockers with 40s and 42s.....No idea about Harrop...i am sure it is fantastic..to each of its own.

Lockers sound nice but I never had them and never missed them. Buy the switch and keep your mouth shut.
I hope you're not suggesting he install the switch for the purpose of inviting buyers to falsely assume the rig is locked. That would be dishonest.

Lockers sound nice but I never had them and never missed them. Buy the switch and keep your mouth shut.
Congratulations, that's the douchiest thing I've seen on 'Mud, and that includes a few years watching Chat and sChat.

Hi, Best place to sell is auctions, people get carried away. Lockers...no...they won’t know what they are anyway. Shiny paint job and clean..that sells. Mike

Dango man! You’re here to share knowledge not play linebacker.

Unlocked vs locked 80Series aren’t very different in resale value. In fact I will ALWAYS buy a cherry non-locked over an ok locked 80 any day.

I’m no fan of ARB at all. Harrop 100% if you decide you must have lockers.

Why are you such a fan of the Harrop lockers? The Harrop lockers are about 300-400 more but the then you have the addition of the compressor as we. So it is almost a wash.

Could you get your factory locker switch to work with the Harrop locker wiring?

Why are you such a fan of the Harrop lockers? The Harrop lockers are about 300-400 more but the then you have the addition of the compressor as we. So it is almost a wash.

Could you get your factory locker switch to work with the Harrop locker wiring?

I like it because it’s simple. Not as simple as a lunchbox but less needed to work.

Yeah I could do the wiring for that one too.

The question wasn't directed at me, but I do have an opinion: Simpler design. Every issue I've seen with ARB lockers (which is quite a few, way more than any other locker) involves the air line, and the damn diff has to be taken out of the axle to fix it. If I ever bought a truck with an ARB I wouldn't pull it out right away, but the first time I had to get into the diff for any reason it would get replaced with an e-locker. I do not understand the love for those things. When it was the only option, sure, but there are much better options now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom