New block, replace camshaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I'm in the slow process of getting ready to put my block etc. back together. I've got the new block and lots of new parts. Now I am second guessing myself so I thought I'd get some opinions here.

New block, new timing cover, chain, tensioners, crank gear, etc. Reworked cylinder head. So the existing camshafts have the 1 gear attached like this:
1599864916925.png

I purchased the subgear for the passenger side camshaft. But, I am wondering do I use that gear (nothing wrong with existing camshaft or gears) and subgear? Or do I replace just the subgear? ORRRRRR, do I just replace both camshafts with new? I know it sounds simple, but I am overthinking it. To avoid the cost of the new camshafts would be good. What do others think?

I recently had mine out at 316K miles. Cleaned them up and checked tolerances. Really couldn't see any wear on the sub-gears and all of my cam lobes and journals were excellent.

I'd reuse what you have.

exh cam install2.jpg
exh cam install3.jpg
INT Cam Clean2.jpg

What mileage was on the original camshafts?

I recently had mine out at 316K miles. Cleaned them up and checked tolerances. Really couldn't see any wear on the sub-gears and all of my cam lobes and journals were excellent.

I'd reuse what you have.
I just put the old chain on upper sprocket. Not good. Engine seized and I think there was massive chain stretch. But did it damage gears. Hmmm

A75AABB4-1FED-4CAA-BE53-EC6F8BE2CEAF.jpeg

220EBF64-659E-4121-959F-8CDCCF224B0B.jpeg

Check per fsm and run them unless they’re visibly worn. If you’re replacing the block I’d be focusing on getting the bearings right as they are individually selected based on actual tolerances. Head service is a pretty straightforward affair and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

#1 ask yourself, can I afford it.

#2 ask yourself how long do I plan to own it.

Finally, consider how much longer will you be able to buy this part.

This is how I decided everything on my truck besides mods and upgrades and even then I follow these basic rules.

Cheers

I’ll echo what others have said. If it’s in your budget, replace it. I’ve reused parts on LS builds and regretted it. These motors are far better suited for longevity but if you had a catastrophic failure it’s hard to not replace anything and everything that’s available.

#1 ask yourself, can I afford it.
#2 ask yourself how long do I plan to own it.
Finally, consider how much longer will you be able to buy this part.
This is how I decided everything on my truck besides mods and upgrades and even then I follow these basic rules.
Cheers

Well said. I can afford it, though just because I can doesn't mean I should. Else I'd be broke. As for ownership, I plan to take my last breath while in this cruiser, hopefully 20+ years from now. Mine for life. As for the parts availability, that's an excellent point.

I’ll echo what others have said. If it’s in your budget, replace it. I’ve reused parts on LS builds and regretted it. These motors are far better suited for longevity but if you had a catastrophic failure it’s hard to not replace anything and everything that’s available.

Regrets suck the life out of us.

After a lot of thinking I believe I have a good course of action. I will run the rebuilt head along with the camshafts that were tested good. I will replace the camshaft timing gear. New timing chain, and all new gears on the crankshaft. I won't use the new subgear.

I'm doing 2 new engines at the same time, so I'll get a look at the new camshafts for the other one and if I reconsider I'll buy another set.

And to address the last point, It's probably smart to buy a head and the camshafts to go with the spare new block that I have. One day they won't be available. That discontinued thread has me feeling weary every time there is an addition to it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

If this was mine I would buy, rent, barrow 1-2 or 2-3 inch/mm Micrometer measure cam lobes and journals compare to FSM specs, if all is with in spec use it, if not junk. There is something to be said about old steel if it ain't broke don't fix it. If it's lasted this long and is still with in spec it will probably last for quite awhile with proper maintenance. Just my $.02 carry on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom