DS window control mcgyver (and other sparky stuff) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i’m interested in this DS window control unit. also i try to teach myself something about low voltage electrical once in awhile.
1. DS window is the only one without a backup. meaning you can’t control the window at the door with another switch. can i use a paper clip and bypass the switch by jumpering the connector?
2. anyone know what is in the DS switch here? it looks like there is some kind of winding in there?
3. are the regular switches are pretty easy to understand? one contact makes the window go up somehow and the other stitch makes the window go down somehow? or how do these work?

2450656E-17C1-429A-8539-0A980E0AD36E.jpeg

D13566E8-D6C2-4F08-AE3B-B0EAE4B0BE4C.jpeg

The winding you see is the solenoid that controls the auto down function.
1599704836109.png

The switches are sprung-to-center two pole rockers with a constant hot in the center.
The red C shows you the constant hot. Technically its only hot when the key is "on" or within 60 seconds of turning the key "off" as long as a door hasn't been opened.

Last edited:
View attachment 2432088
The switches are sprung-to-center two pole rockers with a constant hot in the center.
The red C shows you the constant hot. Technically its only hot when the key is "on" or within 60 seconds of turning the key "off" as long as a door hasn't been opened.
thanks man. i get a little confused when i read electrical diagrams (like in this one i am not sure if they are showing the actual connector?).
but either way i think it says it is the 5 connector.
so - well can you explain this always hot spring to center pole aspect please? center pole is hot with key On? so - well what happens when i pull the switch up? it allows current to run from 6 to 7 somehow? and down allows current to run 8 to 13? or, wait, you said center pole is hot? so “switch to center pole” - well i guess i am not understanding the physical behavior of the switch compared to the diagram.
upper arrow here is DOWN and lower arrow here is UP. how does that relate to the diagram i guess is what i should ask?

81B44726-CAA7-4D1D-A861-55A58E734EAD.jpeg

EAB485B2-BE19-4413-8051-3658D42551AA.png

DEBB204B-8D54-4A93-BCEF-47C4E0F25FB6.jpeg

View attachment 2432088

RM, i am hearing “+12V battery power is fed from the top of the momentary switches (master sw 1,3 or 7,8). Not the center C. Center sinks +12V to the electronic timers, motor and switches to ground. The individual up down switches also have +12V going to them.”

not that i totally understand it.

also “momentary switches” means they physically behave in a momentary manner? or does the diagram also indicate these are momentary switches?

SNIP

also “momentary switches” means they physically behave in a momentary manner? or does the diagram also indicate these are momentary switches?

A momentary switch is the same as a sprung switch. It's activated as long as you hold down, but returns to its normal position when you let go.

Are yiou trying to understand the master switch due to an issue with it? Might as well buy new, given the Switch Doctor will get you a new one for about $25.

A momentary switch is the same as a sprung switch. It's activated as long as you hold down, but returns to its normal position when you let go.

Are yiou trying to understand the master switch due to an issue with it? Might as well buy new, given the Switch Doctor will get you a new one for about $25.
i’m trying to learn a little more electrical and also fix it if i can.
but also i think you must be able to jumper the window up if the switch goes bad on the trail. seems like you would need two paper clips though.
anyone know which terminals i need to close up to get this to work?
and no reason the clip on a bull clip would not work if you are short of paper clips - or is there?

5E52323D-D168-4C80-A700-EC44DB12B27B.png

FCD9A7EC-4497-4606-865D-8F3B2D0A6003.jpeg

A5B648E0-344F-4670-A658-F7A0F68687C5.jpeg

F052BA19-BDBA-4149-ACF0-9EBD9E2DF69C.jpeg

thanks a LOT. it’s three yards and a cloud of dust over here with this stuff.
can i tell if it is a momentary switch from the diagram? and in terms of knowing it is physically a momentary switch i guess i can feel that i need to hold it down i suppose...?

87216D28-9312-4387-90A8-4BA6B5D5F556.png

i’m trying to learn a little more electrical and also fix it if i can.
but also i think you must be able to jumper the window up if the switch goes bad on the trail. seems like you would need two paper clips though.
anyone know which terminals i need to close up to get this to work?
and no reason the clip on a bull clip would not work if you are short of paper clips - or is there?

View attachment 2432443

View attachment 2432444

View attachment 2432445

View attachment 2432446
going to test it tomorrow morning. but i guess i needed a second paper clip to test this:

pins 6 and 13 are the power wires to the motor.
1 and 2 are ground.
7 and 8 are power.

pin from 1 (ground) to 13 (motor) and 7 (power) to 13 = DOWN
pin from 1 (ground) to 6 (motor) and 7 (power) to 13 (motor) = UP

9715B23F-3BD4-4639-8252-88599E1C954A.jpeg

BE655BF2-8307-49FB-971D-36E50602C12C.jpeg

so that works. you can get two paper clips and get the window up using just the connector. it’s a little tricky because 1 and 2 are ground and 7 and 8 are power and you are reaching across the connector with them and - especially in the UP configuration - they sort of cross. so if say you are trying to film with the left hand and hold the second clip with the right it is easy to send 12V though the paper clip in your hand.

anyway, here is is. corrections always welcome.

-

lx 450 DS window jumper

pins 6 and 13 are the power wires to the motor (6 is ground and 13 is power but a DC motor will reverse direction when you reverse polarity so this is how the motor moves the window alternately up or down. you reverse polarity in the circuit which is how it is designed. i guess there is a name for this kind of circuit i suppose).

1 and 2 are ground.

7 and 8 are power.

so using pin 1 for ground and pin 7 for power as the example:

pin from 1 (ground) to 13 (motor) and 7 (power) to 6 = UP
pin from 1 (ground) to 6 (motor) and 7 (power) to 13 (motor) = DOWN

QED

259C6DAE-82C4-44A8-84EA-6D972E28CCE2.jpeg

68705FB0-42C1-4716-984E-163D54492073.jpeg

C34B5672-2F5C-4ED9-8C6D-E121693C259C.jpeg

Last edited:
thanks a LOT. it’s three yards and a cloud of dust over here with this stuff.
can i tell if it is a momentary switch from the diagram? and in terms of knowing it is physically a momentary switch i guess i can feel that i need to hold it down i suppose...?

View attachment 2432447

OK, I can understand a trail fix, I kind of thought it was more about fixing the switch, but that's my misunderstanding wheere this was going.

On that diagram, the default position of the spring switch is shown. There's likely something more subtle than I'm picking up on right now, but I've forgotten a lot of what I knew at one time about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom