SOLD 1978 Mustard Yellow FJ40/Northern Virginia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
It’s with a bit of regret I am listing my 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Life dictates that I need to pass this awesome truck along to someone who will finish the work that I started on it. I am intending to try to sell this as a complete package, so I am not interested for now in selling any of the piece-parts independent of the truck.

Full Album is here: FJ40

I have no idea what the market looks like anymore, so I’m putting it out there, complete, at $9,500. The truck is located on a Navy base in the middle of God’s nowhere (Dahlgren, VA), so I’m willing to video chat or Zoom or whatever with interested folks. If we work it out, and you give me some good-faith money or something, I’d be willing to trailer it within a reasonable radius of the DC Area.

The truck is an honest example of one of the better model years of US Market FJ40s – 1978 means it has disc front brakes from the factory, and drums on the rears. She’s far from a perfect truck, and a full concours-restoration is out of the question, but she’s a fun wheeler and a great candidate for the resto-mod that I never finished.

I purchased from the son of the original owner (no documentation though) in Wenatchee, WA in late 2013. My first kid was born 2 months later, and thus began the frantic-work/long periods of disregard cycle. The best illustration – I started a knuckle rebuild 18 months ago, and right as I had buttoned up the first side and was moving my tools to the other side, my wife went into labor. I still haven’t finished the knuckle rebuild, though the parts are included.

The Good: Solid frame, good body that is starting to get some rust in the typical LC spots – corners, door bottoms, etc. The front passenger fender has one spot of delamination, though I am not sure whether it would need repair or replacement. The first thing I did when I bought it was take the interior of the tub down to metal, weld in patches where it needed it (not many), and then POR-15 and paint it. I also replaced the fuel tank with a good refurbished steel one.

The engine was professionally swapped by the guy I bought it from, and is a solid Gen 1 Small Block Chevy from the late 1970s. It’s running an Edelbrock carb that I had rebuilt 2 years ago, and I replaced the distributor, ignition coil, plugs, and wires at the same time. It’s maybe got 100 miles on it since that work was completed. The throttle cable, bracket, and everything between the pedal and the carb were replaced last year with Lokar stuff, since I was sick of the stretched, home-brewed version that was on there before. I’ve only ever run Castrol ZR-1 High-Zinc in it.

Iron Pig Offroad replaced the brake master cylinder and flushed and bled the system for me about 18 months ago. The tires (33x12.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/As) are a year old, and have about 50 miles on them, none off-road.

The hardtop is complete and in decent shape, but isn't original to the truck - it's definitely a Sky Blue on the inside where the slightly-different-yellow paint is wearing.

I recovered the seats, also cleaning and repainting the seat frames, in 2015. The new covers are marine grade vinyl and are super-nice. I think they came from Cruiser Corps, but don’t quote me on that. Squirrel-cage fan/blower and front heaters have been rebuilt as well.

The Bad: Body rust has increased in the last year, and it’s one of the main reasons I’m selling. Prior to 2017, it was garage kept and I could dawdle over it as much as I wanted without much degradation. Since our move to Virginia, it’s been outdoors and I am faced with the choice between making it my job for a period of time (impractical) or letting it rot in my driveway (undesirable), so it’s time to sell. Most of the external stuff is superficial, but the rear wheel wells most likely need replaced (a skilled and patient amateur welder could fix it though). One of the barn doors is starting to go from rust to rot on the bottom as well, but the other is solid.

The parking brake doesn’t work at all, as is often the case with the driveshaft brake. I have the parts to rebuild, but haven’t done anything with it.

There is an intermittent electrical gremlin there too, but I haven’t been able to figure it out yet. The net result is that if the headlights are on, the blinkers don’t consistently blink, and from time to time (again, not all the time), the fuel gauge stops reading the level and indicates an empty tank.

The last major issue is that it doesn’t turn over with every key turn. It’s minor, and I think just needs a new starter (~$40-60 from Rock Auto or Auto Zone), but I haven’t done much with it. The solenoid clicks every key turn, but the starter only cranks every couple. It does eventually start though, and like I said, I’m pretty sure it’s an easy fix.

The weather stripping is about 50 years old, and doesn’t really do much.

20200516_134050.jpg

Also included:

Full brake rebuild kit (drum shoes, wheel cylinders, disc pads, springs, etc)

Soft half-doors, a drop-in tailgate, and a bikini top

Knuckle rebuild kit with Koyo wheel bearings, and a rebuild kit for the Warn manual locking hub (driver’s side is complete, but passenger’s side is undone). Also included is the giant socket you need to pull the hub nuts off.

2 cases of ZR-1 High-Zinc motor oil

Energy Suspension Body Mount kit

Mostly-complete M8 and M10 bolt kits (hundreds of bolts, nuts, washers, etc) in those two VERY common sizes on this truck

Fully weatherstripping kit (non-OEM, so without the molded corners)

Tuffy speaker/storage boxes that fit under the roll cage hoop on the rear wheel wells.

Used but solid rear heater core

Gravity-feed media blaster – I was planning to use it to work on the accessible parts of the frame

Other stuff I am sure I am forgetting

A relatively pristine Warn 8274 Winch, which comes with the Warn Accessory kit as well. I rebuilt the internals, brake drum, etc. The issue is that I bought it cheap from someone who turned the head off the pawl bolt, and then made a real meal out of trying to drill it out. I’d intended to have a shop drill and retap, but never did. I did open it up, clean it all up, and put new oil + Lucas stabilizer in it. I haven’t optested it all, but I bench-tested the motor and it worked well.

Last edited:
Sorry, was there a price in there somewhere?
Opening argument is $9,500 USD for the truck, parts, a gear as a package. No idea what fair is anymore, since the last time I looked at pricing them was ~2013 and it was a different landscape then.

Last edited:
So my two cents since I live right next to you. Not that you asked. Virginia as a whole is super tight with their money on project cars. At 14k it will die in your driveway. Out of state seller is your only shot. $9500 will probably get it sold locally. Although I’ve seen a few pre-smogs which usually fetch more at $8500 in better shape than yours and they are still for sale. So you never know. I sincerely mean GLWS.

So my two cents since I live right next to you. Not that you asked. Virginia as a whole is super tight with their money on project cars. At 14k it will die in your driveway. Out of state seller is your only shot. $9500 will probably get it sold locally. Although I’ve seen a few pre-smogs which usually fetch more at $8500 in better shape than yours and they are still for sale. So you never know. I sincerely mean GLWS.
No worries, I appreciate it. It is ultimately worth what someone will pay for it, and my attachments to it are worth $0.00, so...fair.

I think you need to post up detailed pics of the rust areas. You need to have chassis pics, rear tub, floor pans, rear sill from back of truck, top of fiberglass roof, detailed engine pics, under dash wiring. SBCs can be good if it was put in well. Hard to tell from the pics. Doing this may get your asking price.

I think you need to post up detailed pics of the rust areas. You need to have chassis pics, rear tub, floor pans, rear sill from back of truck, top of fiberglass roof, detailed engine pics, under dash wiring. SBCs can be good if it was put in well. Hard to tell from the pics. Doing this may get your asking price.
I'll post up more to the album tomorrow when the sun is up. Thanks!

The Google Album is updated with some under-body pics. I will be able to grab interior pics later today and will post them up tonight.

Updated price, $9,500 for it all.

If someone has a rig they love with no hardtop, I can see them buying that and selling it without a hard top to someone else for $5000. Hard tops are impossible to find

If someone has a rig they love with no hardtop, I can see them buying that and selling it without a hard top to someone else for $5000. Hard tops are impossible to find
I'll go ahead an point out that if they do that, they're also getting ~$700 worth of virtually new Tuffy boxes and an 8274 for free.

Someone get it out of my driveway before I convince my wife I need to keep it.

Where in Virginia are you located?
In Dahlgren. If you start in Fredericksburg, and then go east to the Potomac, that's where it is. Just on the VA side of the Rt 301 bridge.

Oh ok, I am near Bristol VA which is a long way away from you. Good luck with the sale!!!
Thanks. Its about as "across the state" as you can get, but if you're in for full price and can toss in $100 extra for the u-haul trailer and gas, I'm not adverse to a road trip. I am on Retirement Leave from the Navy and don't start the new job until the 23rd...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom