5th gen 4runner sliders on '19 GX460 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
long time listener and first time caller but I finally traded in my '16 4 runner for a used '19 GX460 base. There are more options for bolt-on sliders (bolt to frame, not glorified side steps that bolt to the body) for the 4runner that are less expensive than those for the GX460. Has anyone experimented with bolting up a set of 5th gen 4runner sliders to their GX460?

TIA!!

IMG_2951.jpg

From what I’ve read some will work and some won’t. They’ll also probably require a little bit of modification to make them work

I thought many of the KDSS compatible ones would fit.
That is what I was thinking as well. I saw that Main Line Overland's sliders fit both the 4runner and GX460. If its simply notching a mounting plate to clear the KDSS maybe its worth it if I can save $100 or so

I took the Hefty Fab sliders off of my 5th Gen before trading it for the GX460 and they wouldn't fit even though they were KDSS compatible. From what I understand, the front drivers side support arm needs to be about 1.5" further forward to clear the pump on the GX. I don't know how much truth there is to this because when mine didn't fit I sold them off asap and ordered new ones specific to the GX without investigating further.

You probably already saw this but the "official" 460 slider list here

One thing that does work on both 150 series vehicles will be under carriage panels!

You probably already saw this but the "official" 460 slider list here

Yeah, I started there and noticed there were few options under $600.00 where there are some bargains to be had on 4Runner sliders. Trying to do a very budget minded build (build thread coming soon) and every $1 I save is a dollar that can be allocated to another part of the build

My Caliraised ditch light brackets swapped over from the 4Runner to the GX without any modifications :meh:

Yeah, I started there and noticed there were few options under $600.00 where there are some bargains to be had on 4Runner sliders. Trying to do a very budget minded build (build thread coming soon) and every $1 I save is a dollar that can be allocated to another part of the build
The Rocky Road sliders don't look good to you?

The Rocky Road sliders don't look good to you?
They are on par with everyone else. But this is a good example of what I was talking about. AllPro sliders with cover plates for the 4runner can be had for $500-600. RockyRoads full cover slider is $800+. RockyRoad's website is terrible.

They are on par with everyone else. But this is a good example of what I was talking about. AllPro sliders with cover plates for the 4runner can be had for $500-600. RockyRoads full cover slider is $800+. RockyRoad's website is terrible.
Agreed. Website is terrible.

With all due respect, admission costs to play in the Lexus sandbox will usually be more.
It was the same when I had my Porsche's, Bimmer, and other European vehicles. Simple things like brake pads or a hose would be priced way higher than for domestic or even some Japanese manufacturers equal products.
I'm sure Infinity and Acura parts are considerably more expensive than their counterpart Nissan and Honda parts.

With all due respect, admission costs to play in the Lexus sandbox will usually be more.
It was the same when I had my Porsche's, Bimmer, and other European vehicles. Simple things like brake pads or a hose would be priced way higher than for domestic or even some Japanese manufacturers equal products.
I'm sure Infinity and Acura parts are considerably more expensive than their counterpart Nissan and Honda parts.
Yes, and people commonly explore part interchangeability in both an ascending and descending manner. If we don't ask the question and do some exploration then the world may never know

Reactions: r2m
FWIW- Toyota is now offering actual rock sliders - for the 5th gen 4Runner.
LH # PT228-89191
RH # PT228-89190

I do not know if they fit a GX - but they're priced right for lots of folks who may not intend to really abuse them a lot. And they're OEM Toyota so the fit and finish should be pretty good. I think list price is around $190 per side. So under $400 for the set.

367597d1597442300-oem-toyota-rock-rails-5th-gen-2-jpg

Fit is high and tight. So GX rocker trim removal or cutting is probably a given.
367602d1597442394-oem-toyota-rock-rails-5th-gen-7-jpg

Too bad Lexus doesn't sell the Prado rocker panels domestically for even quicker parts swaps for slider additions... color matched a bonus.

FWIW- Toyota is now offering actual rock sliders - for the 5th gen 4Runner.
LH # PT228-89191
RH # PT228-89190

I do not know if they fit a GX - but they're priced right for lots of folks who may not intend to really abuse them a lot. And they're OEM Toyota so the fit and finish should be pretty good. I think list price is around $190 per side. So under $400 for the set.

367597d1597442300-oem-toyota-rock-rails-5th-gen-2-jpg

Fit is high and tight. So GX rocker trim removal or cutting is probably a given.
367602d1597442394-oem-toyota-rock-rails-5th-gen-7-jpg
This are made by N-Fab.
0.92 thick tube and 3/16 mounting plates.

This actually would fare better in side collision. It would absorb more impact although on the rocks it would not be as tough.

Most slider are 0.120 Dom tube and 1/4" mounting plate.

N-Fab is making the new factory 5th Gen rock sliders? If that's true then they are barely one notch above junk lol.

Yes, and people commonly explore part interchangeability in both an ascending and descending manner. If we don't ask the question and do some exploration then the world may never know
Agreed! It never hurts to try and source from a similar model! Hence all the Prado accessories from down under that make their way up here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom