Saginaw Steering Malfunction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a ‘71 FJ40. Since I drove it home the steering wheel has been ‘slipping.” This morning I was backing out of my driveway, and when I turned the steering wheel disconnected to where it spins freely.

Any advice on how to repair this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Rod ends are a good place to start, however.....

If it’s a Saginaw conversion, sounds like one of the universals came off on the steering shaft from the wheel to the box. Some guys just use a set screw, some go to trouble of broaching the shaft and installing a key. If the PO just used a set screw, I would drill through the shaft an use a roll pin.

Also check and see if there is a rag joint...like a rubber coupling....these deteriorate over time and can tear.

Send some pictures alonge if you get a chance.

this sounds like a near death experience.
This reminds me that after finding nuts missing off the bolts in the shackles (weight of the vehicle on the spring holding them in) and nuts on the bottom of the radiator missing (support rods still held it up)...

I really should do a very close inspection of the power steering conversion done by a previous owner...

It’s hard to see where the arrow is pointing, sorry about that. I think I’ve diagnosed the part of the steering system that is not working. When turning the steering wheel, this does not move/rotate.

31A167B2-A6E5-40EE-86EF-75DE9FE6B5CB.jpeg

Rod ends are a good place to start, however.....

If it’s a Saginaw conversion, sounds like one of the universals came off on the steering shaft from the wheel to the box. Some guys just use a set screw, some go to trouble of broaching the shaft and installing a key. If the PO just used a set screw, I would drill through the shaft an use a roll pin.

Also check and see if there is a rag joint...like a rubber coupling....these deteriorate over time and can tear.

Send some pictures alonge if you get a chance.
Referring to pictures, the red arrow is pointing to the part of the steering system that is operating correctly. Somewhere between the red arrow and blue arrow, the system is disconnected. I can’t get a good look to see whether it’s cracked or not because of where it’s located. The second picture is a birds eye view to give you a frame of reference.

5FA61EF5-6FD4-43F5-B433-07599F19DD42.jpeg

1C5B13FC-E7B4-433D-B3B5-AB8C422E45F4.jpeg

open the hood and look down.
There should be a shaft going straight through the frame cross member, coming out the back of it and then some kinda u joint or some other flexible joint allowing the column to bend, and go up through the firewall (and to the steering wheel).

And, is the steering box welded to that plate? Are there still bolts holding it together? Front and back of the steering box / plate? Doesn't look like what broke, this time, but you might want to give that all a good look once you get this problem solved.

There should be a shaft going straight through the frame cross member, coming out the back of it and then some kinda u joint or some other flexible joint allowing the column to bend, and go up through the firewall (and to the steering wheel).

And, is the steering box welded to that plate? Are there still bolts holding it together? Front and back of the steering box / plate? Doesn't look like what broke, this time, but you might want to give that all a good look once you get this problem solved.
Yes, the steering box is welded to the frame. We’re you able to see my pictures in the response above? Here is a pic of the steering box.

image.jpg

Update*** it appears the steering column shaft is running into the gear box and is operating correctly. However, here is a pic under the gear box. Does this look normal? Should I tighten it?

50137438-1650-4D1F-A41D-6C26D50B21A9.jpeg

D8C8F44B-7F7A-413C-BF89-A800A8FC4E2D.jpeg

Referring to pictures, the red arrow is pointing to the part of the steering system that is operating correctly. Somewhere between the red arrow and blue arrow, the system is disconnected. I can’t get a good look to see whether it’s cracked or not because of where it’s located. The second picture is a birds eye view to give you a frame of reference.

View attachment 2431744

View attachment 2431747
Are you recommending to put a pin in this part of the system?
Must be a stripped sector shaft in the box, time to remove and replace everything in that system, might as well do power steering while your in there.
i think you are right. The shaft going “in” to the steering box is operating, but it’s not rotating the gear to turn the rod out of the bottom of the box. Is there a way to drill a home and insert a pin to get it to a shop?
Or do you have access to a manual for the steering box?
Advice is appreciated!

8ED9B8F0-2051-4C95-B280-FE391F502542.jpeg

540BD01F-49B9-4850-93E3-6EDF4B0A93E1.jpeg

That looks to be a 60’s camaro MANUAL steering box. What a goofy choice for a 40.

regardless of the problem at hand; the welded on steering box is not safe. Don’t drive the truck until you have a box properly mounted to the frame.

How can I check my connection in this part of the gear box? I opened up the other side and everything is in tact.

9F278923-7C19-4B27-968D-EA01485CD7DB.jpeg

Must be a stripped sector shaft in the box, time to remove and replace everything in that system, might as well do power steering while your in there.
👆 What he said. Also if your steering box is welded to the mounting plate, might not want to even risk fixing this. Just replace it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom