4x4 labs rear bumper removal of swing outs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could not find anything on this but if some knows of a thread containing this information please link for me.

I am looking to purchase a 4x4 labs rear bumper with double swing outs (spare tire & jerry cans) and am curious how easy it is to remove the swing outs. Other than big trips I use my 80 as a weekend car to drive around town. I feel no need to carry the swing outs when I’m just around town. So would it be simple to have them removed and only have them on for my big trips? Any personal experiences or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

You could leave the arms and remove the mounts that bolt to the arms. That’s what I would do. I’ve run around like that. Looks good. Just make sure to open them before dropping the tailgate.

It’s not too difficult. Pull the gas strut from the bumper side, Pop the dust cap off the spindle assembly, remove cotter pin, loosen and remove the castle nut then remove swingarm assembly with top bearing still in it. I think there a dust cap on the bottom that will hold the lower bearing in place too. The biggest issue will be to protect the bearings from dust and protect the exposed spindle.

Check out these pics.

Something like this to protect the spindle. (I don’t know if this particular will fit a labs bumper.)

Last edited:
Could not find anything on this but if some knows of a thread containing this information please link for me.

I am looking to purchase a 4x4 labs rear bumper with double swing outs (spare tire & jerry cans) and am curious how easy it is to remove the swing outs. Other than big trips I use my 80 as a weekend car to drive around town. I feel no need to carry the swing outs when I’m just around town. So would it be simple to have them removed and only have them on for my big trips? Any personal experiences or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Bear in mind that your street cred’ goes out the door if you run your truck like this around town. :)

It’s not too difficult. Pull the gas strut from the bumper side, Pop the dust cap off the spindle assembly, remove cotter pin, loosen and remove the castle nut then remove swingarm assembly with top bearing still in it. I think there a dust cap on the bottom that will hold the lower bearing in place too. The biggest issue will be to protect the bearings from dust and protect the exposed spindle.

Check out these pics.

Something like this to protect the spindle. (I don’t know if this particular will fit a labs bumper.)

this is super helpful. Thank you!

Honestly it's a lot of work whether you pull the arms at the spindles or remove the accessories from the arms. Removing the accessories from the arms is significantly easier since you don't have to deal with grease and popping the top on the spindle each time. Popping off the spindle cap will wear down the interface fit and allow for water intrusion. In addition the naked spindles will have a greater chance of rusting unless you put a waterproof sock over them.

BTW, I recommend putting RTV between the spindle housing and cap to prevent water getting to the bearings. There have been numerous folks that have had their spindle bearing rust away.

It's quite easy to pull the attachments, the arms are a bit more work but not insurmountable as @ERG80 said.

The attachments are just held in with these two 1/2" bolts.
1599757293806.png

Deleted: reread and saw it was covered in the second post.

You could leave the arms and remove the mounts that bolt to the arms. That’s what I would do. I’ve run around like that. Looks good. Just make sure to open them before dropping the tailgate.
Bear in mind that your street cred’ goes out the door if you run your truck like this around town. :)
I just pull the attachments and put them on when I need them.

My street cred is shot anyway.

:lol:

Anyone have any trouble opening their dual swing out latch? Mine has always been a struggle to open, but now it's practically frozen. I'm about to get some 2" pipe to get some extra leverage on the handle. Yes, I released the security latch when trying to open it.

Can you lube anything on the latch to make it easier to open? @4x4labs

Anyone have any trouble opening their dual swing out latch? Mine has always been a struggle to open, but now it's practically frozen. I'm about to get some 2" pipe to get some extra leverage on the handle. Yes, I released the security latch when trying to open it.

Can you lube anything on the latch to make it easier to open? @4x4labs
I had that issue with my hinge. I lubed everything that moves with wd40 and now it’s smooth and easy to open and close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom