Why no diesel swaps in 100 series LC’s?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They don't, ones a H150, the V8s use a H151/152
The early V8 had H150 before the H152. they have the shorter first than H151.

H151 was behind HD/FZ in 80/100/105 and I believe manual UZJ100

They don't, ones a H150, the V8s use a H151/152
um, no incorrect. This is a common misconception. Vdj79 has h150 up until 2016 where it got a ratio change as the h152. H151 was in 100/105 wagons and fzj79, and a few others. The only difference between all h152/151/150 is ratios. Hzj80 got the h150, I think hdj80 got 151. The difference between these is 1st and 2nd ratio. There were internal updates along the way along with changes in shifter location and input shaft length but these can’t be deduced from the model number. As I said there’s a document laying all this out for different models but you can check on individual part diagrams if you don’t believe me.

I dont know where this internet myth about h15* came from - it’s like someone assumed 80 series and 79s being so far apart in age must have a different box model number and somewhere along the line it became “fact”

V8 uses H150 until H152 became available within the last few years and HZ uses H150 (in 80 series at minimum). FZ and HDT/HDFT/HDFTE as well as 2UZ use H151.

Last edited:
V8 uses H150 until H152 became available within the last few years and HZ uses H150 (in 80 series at minimum). FZ and HDT/HDFT/HDFTE as well as 2UZ use H151.
HZ in 105 used R151

I feel like the point is getting lost in minutia...

There's 582 pages of diesel tech, all these points have been lost in minutia many times over.
Not that that's a bad thing, but more a way of saying everything you want to know is here in diesel tech. The more you dig, the more you learn

There's 582 pages of diesel tech, all these points have been lost in minutia many times over.
Not that that's a bad thing, but more a way of saying everything you want to know is here in diesel tech. The more you dig, the more you learn
Well, yeah, but I'm not sure that people discussing freeze plug locations and block lettering is really pertinent to the question of swapping a diesel into my Hundy, that's all. Granted, if said freeze plug location is an important matter to consider, by all means, let's discuss that🙂.
I had a talk with Jeremiah @ Proffitts yesterday that was enlightening, he kinda warmed up to the idea of shoving a (I think this is correct, still learning part ID's!) 1HDFTE in the truck.

Great info! A lot of it (factory labels and the non-USA spec stuff) is still new to me.
So, if, hypothetically speaking, I were to get a motor/trans swap going into the IFS 100 I have, using factory parts, what would be the best in terms of power, reliability, and longevity? I understand this is somewhat subjective, but just looking for info to consider.

To bring this back on topic...

HDFTE and H15* 5 speed manual gets my vote. The autos aren't a bad option either but may require more wiring attention. In a 100 series, go HDFTE All. Day. Long. There is actually an HDFTE swap facebook page if you're a social media type. Tons of great info there.

To bring this back on topic...

HDFTE and H15* 5 speed manual gets my vote. The autos aren't a bad option either but may require more wiring attention. In a 100 series, go HDFTE All. Day. Long. There is actually an HDFTE swap facebook page if you're a social media type. Tons of great info there.
So, since I can't leave well enough alone, what kind of aftermarket parts are available IF one were to do this kind of endeavor? I have EFILive on the Duramax, does EFILive support the Toyota ECM's and other systems? What about upgraded exhaust systems, other tuning, injectors, etc.? Obviously if a person has limited access to factory parts, and then decides to fiddle with things, that's an even bigger gamble, but hey, you only get shot at this whole life thingy, right??

So, since I can't leave well enough alone, what kind of aftermarket parts are available IF one were to do this kind of endeavor? I have EFILive on the Duramax, does EFILive support the Toyota ECM's and other systems? What about upgraded exhaust systems, other tuning, injectors, etc.? Obviously if a person has limited access to factory parts, and then decides to fiddle with things, that's an even bigger gamble, but hey, you only get shot at this whole life thingy, right??

In amongst all those useless threads about freeze plugs, there's loads of discussion on these engines that will turn up with a basic search

Toyota ECU cannot be tuned, Unichip and DTE chip are popular for tuning, fair few vehicles getting up around the 400rwhp number.
PDI's truck makes about 330 rwkw IIRC, I imagine that would be 'exciting' to drive

There is a lot of support - but about 99% of it is in Australia... I highly doubt you’ll find anything FTE specific that doesn’t cross to 1HD-T or FT in the US.
Having said that we have a heap of different exhaust manufacturers, along with people making IC kits, tuning modules (unichip are I think US so no issues there), filter boxes etc. and of course turbos. I would have thought any injection shop that knows Toyotas should be able to do injectors. If you want to upgrade them (if chasin big power) you might be better off getting them from Australia though - again lots of options.

As workhorse says the Facebook FTE conversions group is good- pretty active and a lot of knowledge

PDI's truck makes about 330 rwkw IIRC, I imagine that would be 'exciting' to drive
Yeah Brian’s a top bloke and knows how to squeeze the most out of an FTE

I believe that Techstream (or equivalent) is available from the European Markets for the FTE but it might be in French versus English. Not sure but I do know of someone who has used it in Canada with his FTE converted 100. Eleblanc on the forum as seen below.

From the abyss of useless freeze plug drain archives...

Techstream is in English as well, I guess it has a language select when you start it up. It’s a good program and allows you to read all ecus (don’t thing anything AM will let you do much more than read/clear engine ecu). It can be fiddly to install - mine needed someone familiar with windows registries (which is not me) to get it running, I couldn’t find anything in all the many install guides to help me. However haven’t really used it much - the $12 ELM327 dongle and the “car scanner” app on my phone does 99% of what I want which isn’t much apart from displaying boost, coolant and Intake temp.

that’s a score on the old conversion thread- should cover a lot of your questions!

Various phone apps work well and codes/data can be read from a Snapon scan tool.
Hmm, does AUS use the OBD2 plug like Snap-on scam tools do here?? I used to sell them, but never looked at overseas diag platforms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom