Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yea been there done that, I'm not into the trailers. I tried an actual off-road adventure trailer and a M1101 I converted, it just wasn't for me. This trailer will only carry motorcycles for day trips and short weekend getaways. The out of state stuff will see the enclosed trailer and the side by side and old project vehicles will ride on the car hauler.

2020 GX460 grille on a 2019 GX460. I've gotta say that I like it more than I thought I would. The aftermarket emblem took some tinkering to fit but you can't tell the difference between it and an OEM emblem. I might go back to the 2014-19 emblem and black it out later on but I'm going to run with this look for now. Now to find some 2020 headlights lol.

4My0AaD.jpg

M8xj7j1.jpg

Sunset cruise to look at property and wrecked Lambo's for sale.

j5wMcFR.jpg

Nah, the line is clean and the paint cut is clean, no need for it. Unless I start to have the paint crack or separate then I won't bother.

Those cuts are clean! Wanna do mine? It’ll be a while before I get new bumpers so trimming is definitely the route I wanna go but I don’t have enough hand dexterity or steadiness to try that.

This was a great thread to read. Gave me some ideas!

Those cuts are clean! Wanna do mine? It’ll be a while before I get new bumpers so trimming is definitely the route I wanna go but I don’t have enough hand dexterity or steadiness to try that.

This was a great thread to read. Gave me some ideas!

I am happy to help depending on what part of Texas you're in lol. I have a bit of a personal hatred towards the rear since I slipped and stuck the box cutters damn near clear to the Ulna bone lol. It just takes time and a really sharp blade with a steady hand and constant, consistent pressure. Oh and don't slip lol.

a7rRNlD.jpg

LJHbAP8.jpg

hRDT0P7.jpg

Last edited:
I am happy to help depending on what part of Texas you're in lol. I have a bit of a personal hatred towards the rear since I slipped and stuck the box cutters damn near clear to the Ulna bone lol. It just takes time and a really sharp blade with a steady hand and constant, consistent pressure. Oh and don't slip lol.

a7rRNlD.jpg

LJHbAP8.jpg

hRDT0P7.jpg

Ouch! Yea I am NOT steady so I’d likely take my whole arm off. Hah. I’m about to move to Greenville, I suspect you live near the coast? Got family in cypress and kingwood. May be down there in early Oct.

Ouch! Yea I am NOT steady so I’d likely take my whole arm off. Hah. I’m about to move to Greenville, I suspect you live near the coast? Got family in cypress and kingwood. May be down there in early Oct.

Yea, I am down in Bay City south of Houston. We are looking to relocate with work sometime next year but it'll likely be within the region. Just give me a shout when you're ready and we will see if we can work something out.

I did the same thing doing the same thing. :) Cut myself deep with a box cutter while trimming those dang skirts. Mine was in the leg just above the knee - blade went in deep but fortunately didn't hit anything critical. Should have gotten stitches but I didn't.

I did the same thing doing the same thing. :) Cut myself deep with a box cutter while trimming those dang skirts. Mine was in the leg just above the knee - blade went in deep but fortunately didn't hit anything critical. Should have gotten stitches but I didn't.

These GX's bite back lol. Yea I was lucky, I am pretty sure that I hit the Ulnar artery based upon the amount and color of the blood and the fact that it sprayed out like a blown hydraulic hose all over my face and the truck. Luckily the misses was working from home and drove me to the ER where I had the bleeding stoped by the time we got there. Putting my own staples in was kinda fun, the misses didn't agree lol.

Yea, I am down in Bay City south of Houston. We are looking to relocate with work sometime next year but it'll likely be within the region. Just give me a shout when you're ready and we will see if we can work something out.

Cool beans appreciated!

Think an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel would work? Maybe a dremel would be better? I’m going to throw myself on the list of people who need your guidance on this. I’d totally jack it all up doing it on my own.

Think an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel would work? Maybe a dremel would be better? I’m going to throw myself on the list of people who need your guidance on this. I’d totally jack it all up doing it on my own.

Dremel works well, just have to peel off the melted curled areas and possibly clean it up with a sanding wheel bit.

Problem with an angle grinder, Dremel or any abrasive cutting wheel is that they spin too fast and melt more than they cut. It would be best to use a slower spinning saw with a fine toothed blade. If you could keep a steady hand, a reciprocating saw (sawzall) with a fine blade would work great without all the melting.

Problem with an angle grinder, Dremel or any abrasive cutting wheel is that they spin too fast and melt more than they cut. It would be best to use a slower spinning saw with a fine toothed blade. If you could keep a steady hand, a reciprocating saw (sawzall) with a fine blade would work great without all the melting.

The adjustable speed dremels work well.

Reactions: r2m
Sounds fun! I was hoping for some photos of your rig all loaded up to see how it all fit.

Finally found some photos of the tent on the car FWIW. Had to blur my son out of one of them. I would sell the tent if anyone near LA wants one; very lightly used. It made for a pretty nice setup all in all.

Lexus Campsite.jpg

Lexus roof rack.jpg

Lexus tent up.jpg

Lexus with tent 2.jpg

Lexus with tent.jpg

Last edited:
How are you enjoying that iKamper!
As mentioned before, we really love ours. The ease of setup and tear down is hard to beat!
The only issues I have are:
  1. I miss my sunroof. When we bought ours, the smaller iKamper wasn't available yet. We may have gone with that if it was offered back then.
  2. Can't really keep a double sleeping bag and pillows in it closed. Wished it was maybe a couple of inches higher to keep bedding in when closed.
  3. A little lighter to be able take on and off my rig when not in use. But, there is absolutely nothing that about that while maintaining quality and comfort.
But these are VERY minor gripes. It's still an awesome RTT!

How are you enjoying that iKamper!
As mentioned before, we really love ours. The ease of setup and tear down is hard to beat!
The only issues I have are:
  1. I miss my sunroof. When we bought ours, the smaller iKamper wasn't available yet. We may have gone with that if it was offered back then.
  2. Can't really keep a double sleeping bag and pillows in it closed. Wished it was maybe a couple of inches higher to keep bedding in when closed.
  3. A little lighter to be able take on and off my rig when not in use. But, there is absolutely nothing that about that while maintaining quality and comfort.
But these are VERY minor gripes. It's still an awesome RTT!
The tent is excellent. We also found that if you plan to keep any bedding in there, better think again. That isn't happening without going to a deflatable mattress or something. Slept four of us without much trouble except the night it never got below 91 degrees in the valley of fire. There is really no substitute for an ac or swamp cooler in those conditions. It was silly. We didnt even eat breakfast. Just took some showers and hit the road at about 6am.

Reactions: r2m
I finally got around to wiring in the signal load resistors for the front LED signals in the bumper. I don't know why I waited so long to do this, but I am glad that I no longer have the hyper flash when using my signals.

I finally got around to wiring in the signal load resistors for the front LED signals in the bumper. I don't know why I waited so long to do this, but I am glad that I no longer have the hyper flash when using my signals.

What size resistor? Ill put this on my winter to do list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom