1992 HZJ-75 Troopy: Going to need a bunch of advice on this build..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m in the process of tearing out the dash and replacing it. Which allows all the fun of being able to look at all the craziness that has happened over the trucks life.

How does the a/c work? Wiring aside as I know that isn’t proper what is meant to be In that spot as the plastic climate control has a spot for something legit.

Appreciate all the help I get on here.

Mine doesn't have that switch (LHD FZJ75 but same dash; more or less). The fan speed control knob on mine has a rheostat built in to control the A/C compressor (duty cycle or whatever you want to call it). You can just see the blue pointer on "HI". Does yours have that rheostat? I can't tell from the photos.

9B3B5913-97E2-432F-811C-61DF3E498B56.jpeg

Update: Followed the wiring and the switch is hardwired to the compressor. Why would that be? What should I be looking for outside of someone who takes money and is much more intelligent than I am on this stuff?

I’m in the process of tearing out the dash and replacing it. Which allows all the fun of being able to look at all the craziness that has happened over the trucks life.

How does the a/c work? Wiring aside as I know that isn’t proper what is meant to be In that spot as the plastic climate control has a spot for something legit.

Appreciate all the help I get on here.

View attachment 2423773

View attachment 2423774

IMG_0432.jpg

Update: Followed the wiring and the switch is hardwired to the compressor. Why would that be? What should I be looking for outside of someone who takes money and is much more intelligent than I am on this stuff?

You didn't answer my question above but I assume your fan speed switch does not have the secondary knob that controls the on and off cycle of the AC compressor. Assuming again that you don't have the second knob, that switch simply turns the AC compressor on and off. Not complicated. Turn it on when you want AC and turn it off when you just want to run the fan.

You didn't answer my question above but I assume your fan speed switch does not have the secondary knob that controls the on and off cycle of the AC compressor. Assuming again that you don't have the second knob, that switch simply turns the AC compressor on and off. Not complicated.

The switch has the secondary knob. I don't think its working thats why the previous owner jerry-rigged the switch. I think there is a bigger problem than the switch as that would be an easier fix than running a new wire and switch setup.

The switch has the secondary knob. I don't think its working thats why the previous owner jerry-rigged the switch. I think there is a bigger problem than the switch as that would be an easier fix than running a new wire and switch setup.

Gotcha. I thought there might have just been a switch in certain markets instead of the rheostat setup.

hi Cruisers... an AC related question.. do HZJ75 LCs have a cabin filter?

hi Cruisers... an AC related question.. do HZJ75 LCs have a cabin filter?

I thought there was one on the fan in the passenger footwell. I saw a HJ75 that got really dirty inside the fan and caused a fire. After that I always checked mine occasionally

I thought there was one on the fan in the passenger footwell. I saw a HJ75 that got really dirty inside the fan and caused a fire. After that I always checked mine occasionally

The fresh/recirc damper is foam covered which might give the appearance of a filter but I don't think there is a filter in there. At least there isn't one on my FZJ75.

The fresh/recirc damper is foam covered which might give the appearance of a filter but I don't think there is a filter in there. At least there isn't one on my FZJ75.
I thought that was a filter at first too, then I realized it was just old and brittle foam.

I could be wrong , I thought there was a piece of foam where the air enters the fan.

I could be wrong , I thought there was a piece of foam where the air enters the fan.
There is foam there. I’m not sure it’s easily removable, but it’s there.

There is foam there. I’m not sure it’s easily removable, but it’s there.

There is a thin layer of foam on the front of the fresh air damper but it's a very thin layer that's used to seal the damper. It can't be filtering anything because it's solid plastic on the backside. The fan pulls in air from under the cowl and there is no filter from the fan to the cowl....at least not on mine and not on the part's diagrams for my 75. I just had that system completely torn apart including the fan motor and housing. I even washed all the way up into the cowl from the bottom as far as I could reach and there is nothing in there.

Here's a photo. This photo is showing it in the "fresh" air position. In recirculation position it opens from the bottom and closes off the fresh air coming in from the cowl. No air is going through that foam in either position.

160F9FBB-0BE9-46F6-9F05-E0CD6C444C7D.jpeg

There is a thin layer of foam on the front of the fresh air damper but it's a very thin layer that's used to seal the damper. It can't be filtering anything because it's solid plastic on the backside. The fan pulls in air from under the cowl and there is no filter from the fan to the cowl....at least not on mine and not on the part's diagrams for my 75. I just had that system completely torn apart including the fan motor and housing. I even washed all the way up into the cowl from the bottom as far as I could reach and there is nothing in there.

Here's a photo. This photo is showing it in the "fresh" air position. In recirculation position it opens from the bottom and closes off the fresh air coming in from the cowl. No air is going through that foam in either position.

View attachment 2429531
Reason #800 why I should never offer mechanical advice. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom