LS 5.3 Swap on the dyno (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't finished the video so I don't know what it makes, but looks like it is in 2wd. I would hope around 225whp? Could be interesting to those considering a swap.

Hahaha I already posted it in the swap thread and the “What did you do this weekend” thread hoping the owner is on here. Guess you’re sub’d to PFI also.

Haha yep. I was a little disappointed with the results, certainly puts things in perspective.

Hahaha I already posted it in the swap thread and the “What did you do this weekend” thread hoping the owner is on here. Guess you’re sub’d to PFI also.

@scottryana have you ever seen Shawn’s (the fabricator) turbo’d 4runner? It in the background a lot and the did a quick walk around on one video. I’m hoping to see it on the dyno one day.

Haha yep. I was a little disappointed with the results, certainly puts things in perspective.
Yeah, I couldn’t wait and skimmed through to see the results. I’m surprised it’s that low in 2wd. I know mine sure feels like it has more than that.

Yeah 162whp and 201ft/lbs. :bang: my stock truck before rebuild was 133awhp and 186ft/lbs and after the rebuild and exhaust upgrade was 145awhp and 194ft/lbs.

Good thing you can get an LS in the junkyard for $1500 and they bolt in, in a weekend. :hillbilly:

Yeah, I couldn’t wait and skimmed through to see the results. I’m surprised it’s that low in 2wd. I know mine sure feels like it has more than that.

Yeah 162whp and 201ft/lbs. :bang: my stock truck before rebuild was 133awhp and 186ft/lbs and after the rebuild and exhaust upgrade was 145awhp and 194ft/lbs.

Good thing you can get an LS in the junkyard for $1500 and they bolt in, in a weekend.
Only thing I can think of is the elevation they’re at. They’re at 5,200ft. I was hoping they would unhook from the stock airbox for a run. I’ve never ran mine not hooked to the stock airbox.

Yeah that would be about 10% loss from where I dyno'd so that would help! But it is also 2wd. We need to have someone drive a stock truck over to PFI's. lol

Only thing I can think of is the elevation they’re at. They’re at 5,200ft. I was hoping they would unhook from the stock airbox for a run. I’ve never ran mine not hooked to the stock airbox.

Yeah that would be about 10% loss from where I dyno'd so that would help! But it is also 2wd. We need to have someone drive a stock truck over to PFI's. lol
That friend of their’s Phong has an 80. I’ve been waiting to see if he did/does any of the crazy stuff he does to it. He’s real creative.

Years ago they had a turbo’d 105 on the dyno. I really don’t remember much about it. Need to find that and re-watch.

Just for reference for those comparing numbers (200k engines)...

B66319C2-8398-4FFA-9D38-B930AA73E7C1.jpeg

If your comparing a v8 vs a 1fz, you need to use the same shop dyno otherwise the compared numbers will be way off. Each shop's dyno reads different, usually by quite a bit. Tire size AFAIK throws off the dyno numbers too. If they brought in a 1fz powered 80 with the same size tires on the same dyno, then that would be a valid comparison. A stock 5.3 makes about 270hp stock at the crank. With a quality aftermarket tune on the stock engine it makes about 315-330hp and like 380 torque.

Way off is a stretch, that truck has 35's just like all the trucks compared to it. Realistically no matter how you slice it a stock 5.3 swap really only makes 25-35whp more than a stock 1FZ.

If your comparing a v8 vs a 1fz, you need to use the same shop dyno otherwise the compared numbers will be way off. Each shop's dyno reads different, usually by quite a bit. Tire size AFAIK throws off the dyno numbers too. If they brought in a 1fz powered 80 with the same size tires on the same dyno, then that would be a valid comparison. A stock 5.3 makes about 270hp stock at the crank. With a quality aftermarket tune on the stock engine it makes about 315-330hp and like 380 torque.

Way off is a stretch, that truck has 35's just like all the trucks compared to it. Realistically no matter how you slice it a stock 5.3 swap really only makes 25-35whp more than a stock 1FZ.

I've invested in multiple platforms, but i doubt you only make 30 more horse power. Perhaps that is what the numbers show...i also don't believe in a straight % hp decrease from crank (a 500 hp doesn't loose a 150hp in the drivetrain while while 200 hp looses 60 hp). I know my 6.0 liter throwing a misfire code and a bad injector (which may be the same problem) feels like more than what is being touted here.

At the end of the day, i think it depends on what level of support you want. Parts for toyota are expensvie, being hoarded and the turbo kit in the us is done by a single shop. That's not meant to be a slam, for it you get something that is relatively easy to install, great a good boost in hp etc.

Gm you get awesome aftermarket support, true junkyard pull n pay parts access (no "yota yards") and lots of options for horsepower increase. Yes, a junkyard motor is $1500 (probably less for a lm7 5.3), but a crate ls3 is similar to what the turbo kit is. And if you're doing a true 1fzfe rebuild (new everything but block, head body and shaft), you can get similar crate tranny and transmission with carb cert # for similar money. Will it bolt in a weekend? Absolutely not. But people aren't pulling, rebuilding, installing a turbo and slapping back in over a weekend either.

I may have crept an engine rebuild into the turbo, which may not happen the weekend you install it. But, if you're like me and have a 300k engine with low compression in a cylinder, it's hard to not eventually include a rebuild if you're looking for any kind of longevity.

Tldr, i think the turbo is awesome (i have one on order). I think for slightly more money and slightly more headache, you can make more hp (6.0l+) over a turbo (as marketed and sold). With the gm platform, you get awesone aftermarket support and part availability.

I'm more than happy to dyno both my rigs once i get them sorted (that may be year 2050). One will have an lq4/4l80e the other will have a rebuilt 1fzfe with turbo. I could pretend it is joey holding me back time wise, but that unfortunately isn't true....

Same size tires is only part of the equation. You have to use the same shop dyno with the same size tires(and axle gears), and same transmission gear to have a legit comparison. Each shop's dyno can give way different numbers compared to another shops dyno. I'm not trying to make a case for a LS swap or not because that's a long discussion. Their are a fair amount of dyno shops in Colorado. We have a lot of awd cars and awd jeeps and chevys around here, so their are a lot of awd dyno shops. The numbers I hear are all over the place. But if you have dyno graphs of a 5.3 and a 1fz on the same dyno, that is a legit comparison with dyno sheets right next to each other. Another benefit to doing thst also to be considered (at least for me)when choosing a engine and or modifications is the overall power curves and the rpm range. Maybe your right on the 25-35hp with a oem tune, but you have to test it correctly to find out.

Last edited:
This is from the truck was stock and only had Ems Exhaust. I was testing the Landtank MAF housing. Blue is with the stock MAF, the others are with the Landtank MAF so please disregard. But peak torque looks like it’s right at 3000rpms.

C3F8C891-2FEE-48C6-9522-B81A900E4A35.jpeg

This is the only stock dyno sheet for a 1fz at the crank I could find. But it's a computer simulated graph and wasnt done using a actual engine on a dyno. It indicates peak torque is at 3500. Not sure if that's right or not.View attachment 2427683

This was popping around in my head too. The overall cost and time of a LS swap vs the turbo kit. I guesstimated the crank HP to the wheels on the LS and came out with similar numbers.

Both engines have options for more power also. Depending on your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom