Birf soup? HZJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1990 HZJ73 RHD 1HZ AUTO trans

driver side, heard my first click turning into my house, pulled in, took a look and saw this.

my mud research indicates possible inner seal fail allowing diff fluid to mix with knuckle grease?

Thanks!

IMG_20200831_163717047.jpg

IMG_20200831_163730557.jpg

IMG_20200831_163726277.jpg

This is the Land cruiser ownership initiation rite, ahaha. Lots of 'fun'.

If you still have e-hubs, you should consider going to manual hubs when you do this job. Just find spindles/hubs/freewheel assembly plus hardware from an old 60 series. Or buy from Cruiser Outfitters.

This appears to be the one, I'll double check before I order.

Is the Marlin inner seal recommended? Thanks

Knuckle Rebuild Kit - Non-US 70 Series - Sale Price $135.00 - ORDER ONLINE HERE
Toyota solid front axle knuckle rebuild kits, one required per axle. Includes seals, gaskets, felt/rubber wipers, wiper backing plates, shims, lock washers and Koyo trunnion/knuckle bearings. One required per vehicle.
(Fits 1/1990-7/1999 Non-US 70 Series & Some Later Models w/6-Lug Axles)
Part# FA7X99

Marlin inner seals for 40 series are awesome. For 80 series the consensus is they blow out too fast. I had one last only 10k miles.

I don't recall that I have heard much about the 70 series seals. I would tell you to call Cruiser outfitters and they will be able to give you advice.

k

I used the Marlin seals... seem good quality.
Still not leaking.

is there a access point to get some moly in the knuckle in the short term that does not require pulling it off? I don't see an access plug. thanks

took a look and saw this.

Certainly not the worst one we've seen on this forum. On my 73 series you couldn't see the trunnion bolts when I got it from the PO
There is a few videos on youtube if you haven't done one before.

There is a square plug on top of the Birfield housing. You can pull it and put some grease in. Use a zip tie or something to check the depth. You normally want it something like 2/3 full. It's not directly on top but off to one side.

There is a square plug on top of the Birfield housing. You can pull it and put some grease in. Use a zip tie or something to check the depth. You normally want it something like 2/3 full. It's not directly on top but off to one side.

thanks, I'll check it later today. drove it for 15 miles today, no clicking....weird.

I just blew a marlin seal after about 10000mls. measured the new and old marlin seal and was fraction bigger than axle. measured new Toyota seal which was fraction smaller than axle. Should have written measurements down anyhow gone back to factory seal. This is third leak in 3yrs all after using after market seals. One leak was seal damage from installing axle through seal so take yor time and be careful of seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom