Builds 1964 FJ45 Short Bed Fixed Top Pickup Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure if there will be any more updates for a few weeks while @FJ60Cam is getting things lined up in Memphis. In the meantime, I am happy to announce that Rotunda’s home is finally finished. I still have another week or so for the epoxy floor to cure but otherwise we are finished.

View attachment 2419945View attachment 2419947View attachment 2419948View attachment 2419949View attachment 2419950
Beautiful. Being a builder myself, I like to see this kind of stuff. What is the height at the peak to the floor?

Any bamboo in that collection?

Beautiful. Being a builder myself, I like to see this kind of stuff. What is the height at the peak to the floor?
Around 20 feet or so. The whole process just sort of “happened.” I started this project with another builder and he got the initial pole barn erected. It then became clear he did not have a whole lot of interest in working much over the summer so I moved on to someone else. I originally was just going to put a mini split in one room and that turned into just installing a variable speed AC system for the whole building. Pratty happy I ended up going that direction.

Here are a few more photos along the way.

6D74EA4C-4022-465C-971A-8E3ED7310B26.jpeg
3889B277-01BA-485A-8464-27C9A4A50C97.jpeg
16DF148A-912F-447F-8CB7-22BCAC95ED80.jpeg
BF744827-F9BB-4848-BCDD-69FC120061EA.jpeg
AB72126B-B6B1-4DC7-A7C9-14FD741BF89A.jpeg

Any bamboo in that collection?
@middlecalf no bamboo. I started out saltwater fishing. Got really addicted to tarpon for a while. Never even considered trout. Then in 2018 I spent about 2 months chasing trout in Argentina and Chile and that definitely started an addiction. Have been going back ever since. Still on the fence for this year but hope to get down for at least a few weeks. But.....Plan B is just hitting a few places out west when I pick up my 80 series that is in Idaho.

Last edited:
Around 20 feet or so. The whole process just sort of “happened.” I started this project with another builder and he got the initial pole barn erected. It then became clear he did not have a whole lot of interest in working much over the summer so I moved on to someone else. I originally was just going to put a mini split in one room and that turned into just installing a variable speed AC system for the whole building. Pratty happy I ended up going that direction.

Here are a few more photos along the way.

View attachment 2420638View attachment 2420639View attachment 2420640View attachment 2420641View attachment 2420642
Thanks, that's awesome it's interesting to see some of the differences compared with how we would do a similar project. I won't de-rail your thread anymore😁

After watching the progress of this truck I picked up a bit of inspiration. Decided to message @wngrog for an impromptu first aid kit.

The intent is to have a no-frills kit which integrates seamlessly into the truck. I was able to find a Johnson & Johnson first aid box circa 1970’s in very good condition. I think this turned out well both visually and functionally; big thank you to Nolan for taking the time to help with this!

I’ll let the pictures speak:

7E7A9137-1136-4AD3-8906-9DDE307DBEC0.jpeg

6D617DE7-115D-4CCB-A5FE-7FE42CE064E5.jpeg

BFE632CC-DDF4-46EC-B8C8-E35D5FF7FB25.jpeg

It’s held in place with some of the most bad ass magnets on the planet. Glad you went with just two because 4 would have made it permanent!

I already swiped a band aid out of it

I cannot believe it’s been around 6 weeks since this thread has been updated. That does not necessarily mean that nothing has been done. Just a lot of boring stuff in the background. We have really just been cocking the lever for the next phase. That should get going in a couple of months once everything gets planned out. The truck remains with @wngrog for now. But soon it will make a little dash up to @FJ60Cam for the remainder of the project.

Will we see another Beno sighting? Yea probably so. A few people noticed that he popped up in Idaho last week working on my 80 series project: Builds - 1997 FZJ80 to HDJ80 1HDFTE + H152F

0B386787-7867-4296-9963-D3AF352A21B6.jpeg

So what’s Beno doing? That’s a good question. I get a few PM’s asking where we get some of these parts. The answer is obviously @Onur. But he is also doing so much more. Most of you know he previously ran Land Cruiser Parts & Consulting full-time but stopped and went back to the other world. Well he is kind of back in a way. He started helping @wngrog and I on Project Mustard earlier this year and then took a bigger role on some of my more recent projects....and that’s really for his general advice and knowledge.

He went to Idaho primarily to sort out the significant amount of parts that arrived for my FTE diesel engine. While he was there he helped sort out the automatic or manual transmission conundrum and then ultimately which 5-speed manual to purchase. I don’t think I took his advice but I made the decision based upon more facts provided by Beno than I never knew possible. Such as which options allowed for purchase of all new parts, or maybe which parts were NLA. Maybe they were NLA but could still be obtained. Etc Etc. And we would still be searching Partsouq and the depths of Australia and Japan eBay/Yahoo for FTE parts if @Onur was not around.

That is obviously a niche thing to do but holy hell has he been worth it. I originally did not share much of this because he was really just doing stuff on the side here and there. But now he is taking on more work....and even allows for some travel. @Onur can be very helpful to others starting projects, or even kick-starting projects. I know every one of my projects that Onur assisted are better because of it. He also helped talk me through some projects that never happened. He can even turn a wrench if necessary.

I think @Onur was photoshopped into that picture because you can’t see sandals coming out the bottom.

Keep it coming. Can’t wait to see what comes next.

All this talk about the Turk and no direct way to get in touch with him for ideas and parts. Killing me smalls! Step up @Onur

All this talk about the Turk and no direct way to get in touch with him for ideas and parts. Killing me smalls! Step up @Onur

It’s a protected method of communication. You have to bid up your project to a proper reserve first.

He offers more than just parts. I don’t mind paying extra for the consultation and he has produced countless items nobody else can.

On Johns projects he is saving me many hours in the parts sourcing and procuring allowing me to turn the wrench more.

Oh and that is really his head. 😝😂

Cheers

I understand his process ;). Spouting off random numbers that mean nothing to me, until I realize its a part number for my rigs. Then we get to the price, oh wait, I just give him my credit card number and know he is taking great care of me. Oh the confidence that can be had when you work with people who know their craft well. And the trust that is build through the process. Cheers!

Somehow, I need to rip the audio off of that video clip and make it Onur’s ringtone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom