H55 transfer case question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
One more thing regarding the FJ62 case is the use of bearings instead of bushings for the output gears. So, there’s a bit more beef in the 62 case. @tmxmotorsports here you go:

TLC FAQ - 8.1 Transmission & transfer Case Ratios (All :1)
I replaced said bearings when i rebuilt my tcase I still dont understand the raeson for Landcruiser distributor 's not including them in a kit or at least offering them instead of (they never wear out) but i am rebuilding my tcase i want to replace as much as I can while I am already doing the rebuild. Anywho thanks for the info🖒🖒

Are these the vacuum solenoids?

looks to me to be in tact
AFA370EE-5138-4B24-966D-99430B082370.jpeg

Those vacuum solenoids go bad frequently. If it were me I'd keep the mechanical linkage, though you will need a new mechanical linkage off a later FJ60. When I did the H55 conversion on my 62, I used a later case, mechanical linkage, and it's been 100% for years now. I do slightly regret not converting the original FJ62 case but it's not that big a thing.

One other thing. The FJ62 transfercase has some nice upgrades, especially the bearings on the output. It can also be converted with a few parts to a mechanically shifted case. There is a good write up here on ih8mud, and that is what I recommend you do.

The one place I'm sure could source all your parts is Georg at Valley Hybrids. And if you don't have a shop already, you just ship the parts, he will assemble and send back to you. He has shipped out H55s built with transfer cases all over the country.

Pretty easy modding a 62 t-case. As mentioned above, you can find more information about it here on mud or check out the write-up at the following link:

The Wagon Way

254C4C9F-87AA-4D20-8AAC-D3425FE8F39C.jpeg

0380BA5A-D8C2-40B0-BE4B-8FBFC473EFB0.jpeg

According to Dan, @ukaviator , The transfer case that is currently attached to the five-speed has been rebuilt.

If it came from an HJ 61, (part of a 12HT package), then I would think that would be a good transfer case to get reconfigured, no?

Of the split cases, the one’s originally sitting behind autos were the most desirable for the reasons stated further up the thread.

Since you already have one of these t-cases, I’d say go with that one. Especially since you say it’s been rebuilt already. The one in your truck looks like it needs new seals at least anyway.

The one that has been rebuilt is the one that is currently attached to the five speed, and it came like that from the Netherlands…

Did the HJ 61 Case have similar traits to the fj62 case?

I haven’t seen many, but I’ve seen turbo’d HJ61’s with the 5-speed manual. Most HJ61’s I’ve seen have been auto. It’s my understanding only transfers sitting behind an automatic had the improvements. I was taking a wild guess that you have a transfer from an auto since it has the vacuum actuator.

You can determine which version you have by opening up the t-case which will be required anyway if you convert it to manual shift.

Last edited:
Quick update to this thread, I think I am going to try and keep it a vacuum case. My 62 has the solenoids on the firewall, and all of the lines running down to where they would plug-in to the transfer case vacuum diaphragm.
What would we need to look for, and is there any preventative maintenance around this set up, while we are in there?

thanks!

@Tennessee80 you can scrape the grease off your 4-speed T-case and see the production date which will tell you if it will have the 5th gear oiler detent or not. I think that 5th gear oiler is basically a huge joke but that's a different story

Not hard to convert the vacuum Tcase to manual, just gotta track down the parts, there's already all the info on here if you search for it

You don't have the spacer and the H55F will have the spacer. If you run your current t-case (you'll have to disassemble it to mount it behind the H55F) make sure that the front half of the case has the indentation for the 5th gear oiler.

Your current mechanical linkage will not work so you'll have to source t-case linkage from a later FJ60, '85-'87, or go with new parts if still available.

Or run the t-case that's on the H55F but convert it from vacuum to manual but you will still need the later FJ60 t-case linkage.
will a H55F hook up directly to my '87 T-case as is? thanks

Something else to keep in mind is the low range gear ratios are different between the 4-speed and the automatic transfer cases.
That's something I hadn't realized when I had my H55F swap done. Pretty certain the tcase used for my conversion was from a late 60. You happen to know off the top of your head what the low range ratios are for the 4-spd and the automatic?

@WSOPgold2012

You will need to tap and plug the bolt hole in the middle of the t'case plate. Other than that, and the little plastic oiler cup you will need to add, it's bolt up.

Tap 7/16 Drill x thread size 1/4-18 NPT plug.

1614467727142.png

@WSOPgold2012

You will need to tap and plug the bolt hole in the middle of the t'case plate. Other than that, and the little plastic oiler cup you will need to add, it's bolt up.

Tap 7/16 Drill x thread size 1/4-18 NPT plug.

View attachment 2598279
i was under the impression my late '87 60 dsnt need the oiler cup...no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom