Dobinsons 100 Series Suspension options - full breakdown (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

how much built in caster do the uca's have? and can they be installed on an unlifted truck in preparation for a lift down the road? are the 555 joints the same ones that would be used in a stock uca so we can maintain them in the future?
also where are the uca's made?

i don't know enough about alignments but was concerned your uca's might have too much caster when not lifting the truck.
3 degrees of caster. Standard alignment cams from memory have plus/minus 2 degrees of adjustment, so they would have to take away caster from the cams to set it right. It can probably be done, as long as the tech knows what he is doing.

Yes the ball joints are the same that would replace the OE. The ball joints are made in Japan and the arms are made in China

Throwing out some deals here. New 100 series arms just arrived so I figured I'd give free shipping on those and some others too

Thanks for the great info!

Looking at swapping out my OME 2863 rear springs on my 100 series since the rig seems to be sagging in the rear with the weight of the slee steel bumper and extra gear. Just wanted some clarification on the springs I should order. Your post indicates:

"C59-185 - 30mm lift, linear rate, with 440LBS constant rear weight (480/490mm free height, 277LB rate)
C59-171 - 30mm lift, linear rate, with 880LBS constant rear weight (485/495mm free height, 328LB rate) "

but the Dobinson site indicates the following when I search for springs for the 100 series:
DOBINSONS REAR COIL SPRINGS FOR TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 80 SERIES 1990-1997 3.0" LIFT WITH 220LBS LOAD(C59-185)
DOBINSONS REAR COIL SPRINGS FOR TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 80 SERIES 1990-1997 3.0" LIFT WITH 440LBS LOAD(C59-171)

Not sure if it's related to it being listed as a 80 series but the spring model numbers are the same. The C59-185 is listed as 220lbs constant rate instead of 440 and the C59-171 is listed as 440lbs instead of 880.

Do you have a set of springs you would recommend?

Thanks!

That's why I list the specs in this thread specific to the 100 series. The results are different. Both cruisers share the same coil design, but they have different weights and end up with a different lift height at certain loads.

The 185 coils would be ideal unless you have more weight than mentioned. What is "extra gear"?

Last edited:
That's why I list the specs in this thread specific to the 100 series. The results are different

The 185 coils would be ideal unless you have more weight than mentioned. What is "extra gear"?

Gotcha. Thanks for the insight!

The extra gear is nothing special. Just fuel and water jerry cans, fridge, recovery/camping gear, and other misc things you throw in the back of your rig. I emailed the guys at Dobinson and they've been pretty helpful and actually want measurements of the springs I'm running now. I'll see what they say and place my order.

Thanks again!

Running C59-223V on my 100 for about a year now and very pleased. I've got the front TBs set so hub-fender is about 20", and when we're nearing GVWR, the truck sits pretty much level. With five humans and lots of camping gear, I possibly should've gone for one level up in stiffness, but this works great.

Hey guys, breaking down all of the current Dobinsons options for the 100 Series and LX470, putting it all in one place. I keep seeing various questions in various posts all throughout here about what options there are, so hopefully this can help some of you out when the time arises.

All parts are available separately, and there are also kits available with the options to pick and choose what parts you want as well.

Torsion bars
TB59-1600 - For gasoline V8 models - Heavy duty, increased rate. 1160mm length. Can be used to replace AHC or standard torsion bars.
TB59-1610 - For diesel and turbo diesel models specifically - Heavy duty, increased rate. 1210mm length (these cannot be used on a V8 Gas model) Not on the website, don't want someone ordering those in the US by mistake, except by direct order (email/PM)

Front Shocks - Gas and Diesel Engines
GS59-782 - Twin Tube Nitrogas Shocks - for 0-2" lift
GS59-786 - Twin Tube Nitrogas Shocks - for 2-2.5" lift - extended length so that shock doesn't max out too soon with taller lift heights
IMS59-60782 - IMS Monotube Shocks (internal resi)- for 0-2" lift (ETA summer 2020)
IMS59-60786 - IMS Monotube Shocks (internal resi)- for 2-2.5" lift - extended length (ETA summer 2020)

Front Upper Control Arms (UCA's)
UCA59-006K - New for March 2020 - Heavy Duty pair of upper control arms, ideal for lift heights up to 2.5" of lift, allowing for better suspension movement, and wheel alignment due to built-in fixed caster. Comes with Sankei 555 Ball Joints, OE style rubber bushings. Zero maintenance required.

Rear Coils - lift height is of course subject to replacing stock/worn out components, and AHC vs non-AHC systems.
C59-169 - 10mm lift, linear rate, with stock weight. For slightly above OE stock height. Ideal if someone is doing AHC removal but doesn't want to add lift (465/475mm free height, 227LB rate)
C59-223V - 10-20mm lift, variable rate, with stock weight. Equivalent to C59-169, but variable rate for more comfortable ride quality and low lift height (445/455mm free height, variable rate)
C59-167 - 30mm lift, linear rate, with 110-220LBS constant rear weight (485/495mm free height, 227LB rate)
C59-185 - 30mm lift, linear rate, with 440LBS constant rear weight (480/490mm free height, 277LB rate)
C59-171 - 30mm lift, linear rate, with 880LBS constant rear weight (485/495mm free height, 328LB rate)

Rear Shocks
GS59-682 - Twin Tube Nitrogas Shocks - for 0-2" lift
IMS59-60682 - IMS Monotube Shocks (internal resi) - for 0-2" lift (ETA March 2020)
MRA59-A682 - MRA 3-way adjustable monotube shocks with external reservoir - for 0-2" lift (ETA March 2020)

I know some guys have tried different Dobinsons 80 series rear coils in their 100's, based on different heights they were looking for, or heavier rates. If that someone is you, please post up a summary of what you've used and what lift height you've got with whatever load you're carrying so that I can add those to the list.
I’m contemplating switching out my AHC for close to stock suspension. I tow a boat frequently so would you suggest 169 or 223?

I’m contemplating switching out my AHC for close to stock suspension. I tow a boat frequently so would you suggest 169 or 223?
I think the 223V would be great for that

Running C59-223V on my 100 for about a year now and very pleased. I've got the front TBs set so hub-fender is about 20", and when we're nearing GVWR, the truck sits pretty much level. With five humans and lots of camping gear, I possibly should've gone for one level up in stiffness, but this works great.

Do you have wheel center cap to rear fender lip measurement for when the 100 is not loaded?

Do you have wheel center cap to rear fender lip measurement for when the 100 is not loaded?
About 21”, with three child seats in the middle row, 3rd row seats out, and normal junk in the back—tools and recovery gear, probably 100 lbs total in the cargo area plus probably 60 lbs worth of child seats.

Last edited:
About 21”, with three child seats in the middle row, 3rd row seats out, and normal junk in the back—tools and recovery gear, probably 100 lbs total in the cargo area plus probably 60 lbs worth of child seats.
Drrr, just noticed I typed “2rd row” in the above. Now corrected to “3rd” but replying to flag this clarification...,

The new front full diff drop kit is now in stock for the 100 Series and LX470.

Details: Dobinsons DD59-532K Diff Drop Kit | 100 Series and LX470 | Exit Offroad

Photo attached:

DD59-532K diff drop kit.jpg

Do you have a length on the Dobinson GS59-786? I"ve got a customer with the OME 60000 which is 11.73 compressed and 17.44 extended, we'd like to get a little longer shock if we could.

Do you have a length on the Dobinson GS59-786? I"ve got a customer with the OME 60000 which is 11.73 compressed and 17.44 extended, we'd like to get a little longer shock if we could.
Its 288mm compresed and 470mm extended.

Is there some type of nationwide shortage of TB59-1600 torsion bars? I've been told they are unobtainable. Order cannot be fulfilled by Dobinsons USA.

I'm having to settle for OME torsion bars to complete the suspension build.

Is there some type of nationwide shortage of TB59-1600 torsion bars? I've been told they are unobtainable. Order cannot be fulfilled by Dobinsons USA.

I'm having to settle for OME torsion bars to complete the suspension build.
Yes. The factory that makes them was apparently shut for a few months due to covid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom