LC vs. LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm on the hunt for an '03 (as I like the 5spd and updated dash) and up LC or LX. The '06/'07 with VVti would be great but out of my budget. I would prefer the LC but as per the norm they are slightly more expensive than the equivalent LX. My budget is somewhere in the 10-12K range, all in. As I want to start some mild mods on the road to a mild overloading rig. I still want it to be streatable so no huge lifts or 35 series tires.

So my question is which is the better option? I know the hydraulic suspension on the LX is another component that can be expensive if not maintained. But other than the suspension and the front end of the LX what would be the main differences? Is it worth paying 10% or more for an LC? Or just grab the LX and quit overthinking?

Thank you in advance for your input.

*UPDATE*

Last edited:
Here we go again

tenor.gif

Well, crap. I don't mean to start anything. I didn't want to start an S storm by asking. I guess I'm hitting a nerve with this question. So this is much debated conversation? Hmmmm.

Having owned both (albeit 99 vs 06), LX. The LX is quiet and comfy and more stout feeling in the doors.

Potential caveats: the rear tailgate trim on the LX is dumb and prone to failure resulting in a rattle when closing. AHC is amazing, but requires some added diagnostic capability on your part as the owner should anything go wrong. Shops are often oblivious to how it actually works, if not maliciously lazy. It's not necessarily expensive, but it is more involved.

Listen to 97 AZ LC

AHC is amazing, bonus is the LX looks much better.
Agreed. But replace AHC with night view. Here is the reference chart for thinking of cruisers
LX450 = LC80
LX470 > LC100
LC200 > LX570

Last edited:
When I was shopping for a 100 series I was looking for a straight up Land Cruiser. But over 6 months of intense searching (4 metroplexes Texas)....I found one thing to be clear.

Land Cruisers (on average) were higher in cost, had more miles on them, less maintenance and were less abundant.

I ended up purchasing a one owner (woman owned), dealer serviced LX470 for about $2K less than the nearest Land Cruiser I could find in lesser condition. I like the front end on the Land Cruiser better, but I have been otherwise happy with the purchase.

For me it was just a matter of there being so many more LX's to look at (choose from) than Land Cruisers, but this might vary by location.

lex44.JPG

Just get whatever the cleanest truck you can afford is. Bonus for Lexus (and if you can do this with Toyota someone chime in), is that you can put the VIN into Lexus' service website and pull the dealer records. I ended up getting a 100% dealer maintained truck up to 3k miles before I bought it from a used car lot that knew nothing about its maintenance history and was selling it too cheap.

I originally was adamant that I wanted a LC but when I found my LX it ticked all the boxes so I bought it. Now I am so glad after helping other friends get into LCs and experiencing the difference in ride and suspension between the two. The LC is cool as hell, don't get me wrong, and feels every bit like the rugger truck you want it to be, but the LX feels like a Mercedes W140 or 90's era Rolls-Royce the way they just plow through the pavement and stay dead level on turns and curves. I love that I can somewhat replicate the Cruiser feel by putting it in full comfort mode, or tighten it up for freeway travel by selecting full sport mode.

In the end tho, they both have a tailgate, and that's really what you're after. :cool:

My dream is an LX that looks just like an LC from Puerto Rico (no nav I think). All the advantages of the LX except the extra body panels and weird front end.... Love the AHC. Love that it’s like floating through the air in a bank vault when doin 80 on the interstate.

Alright, I get the hint. ;)

I'm now looking only at LX's based on the comments and so I don't get yelled at anymore, lol. Time to find the "perfect" LX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom