Thoughts on modifying stock rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so I'm thinking about modifying my stock rear bumper. I want to put a swing arm on it to carry a 2 Jerry cans and a tire (33). I figure I'll bolt it on and weld it as well. I took a screen shot of the one I was thinking of adding. If this is a stupid idea please let me know. I am new to this stuff and am trying to save some money by modifying my current stuff instead of spending 2000+ on a new set of bumpers. Please share your thoughts! Thank you in advance.
Screenshot_20200827-095023_Chrome.jpg

I don't think you will be happy with it. The stock bumper does not have enough structural integrity to hold a swing arm, especially one that long (it seems to be a single swing arm that will span the length of the rear bumper. Someone used to make a tire carrier that would bolt to the top and bottom of the bumper--really using the frame extensions as it's mount. But it would only hold a tire. Usually the swing are pivots are out at the end of the bumper (beyond where the tail gate is) and frame extensions are inside of that.

Do a search for rear bumpers--there are a lot of threads in this forum. I don't think there is any example of someone mounting a swing arm onto the stock bumper. Save up for an aftermarket rear bumper with swing arm(s).

Okay so I'm thinking about modifying my stock rear bumper. I want to put a swing arm on it to carry a 2 Jerry cans and a tire (33). I figure I'll bolt it on and weld it as well. I took a screen shot of the one I was thinking of adding. If this is a stupid idea please let me know. I am new to this stuff and am trying to save some money by modifying my current stuff instead of spending 2000+ on a new set of bumpers. Please share your thoughts! Thank you in advance. View attachment 2417860
I’ve thought about this a lot and just can’t figure a way to make it happen cheaper than buying a properly built bumper. Someone on the forum here makes a kit with all the parts for you to weld up your own. They offer the dual swing arms for tires and cans like you’re wanting. I think the kit was in the $300-500 range depending on the add ons. Perhaps someone has a link to that thread.
If you’re new to the landcruiser world learn this lesson early. Don’t skimp. You’ll be disappointed. These trucks reward you if you do the job right and can punish the hell out of you if you cheap out on something.

Spare tire, 10 gallons of water, weight of swing arm empty = over 150 lbs

I’ve thought about this a lot and just can’t figure a way to make it happen cheaper than buying a properly built bumper. Someone on the forum here makes a kit with all the parts for you to weld up your own. They offer the dual swing arms for tires and cans like you’re wanting. I think the kit was in the $300-500 range depending on the add ons. Perhaps someone has a link to that thread.
If you’re new to the landcruiser world learn this lesson early. Don’t skimp. You’ll be disappointed. These trucks reward you if you do the job right and can punish the hell out of you if you cheap out on something.

I think this is the thread: FJ60/62 Rear Bumper Kits

Yeah that’s the one! I like those things. I want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom