Events/Trails September 2020 Club Run Jumbo Grade to Virginia City (Jerky Time!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
What: Day Run
When: Saturday September 19, 2020 @9AM
Trailboss: @DesertLake or @Tony_Farson
Where: Jumbo Grade OHV Trail System
Meet Up: Jumbo Grade OHV, New Washoe City, NV 89704 There is a Valero Gas Station down the road if you wanna top off before arriving at the OHV area.
Travel Times: 4-5 hours
What to Bring: Money for food in Virginia City, trail snacks, water, recovery gear, etc.

Details
This is a stock friendly run, but expect some challenges and plenty of desert pinstripes. I'd recommend 33's to help with some of the more challenging bits. The trail will take us over the Virginia Range and into Historic Virginia City. Some of us will eat lunch and stock up on jerky at the Virginia City Jerky Co. or perhaps one of a handful of other places in town.

1600278653403.png

Last edited:
So change of plans for me. Unfortunately got to drop the wife at the airport at like 12pm on the 19th now, flight changed. So won't be able to make this one unless we decide to move to another weekend or Sunday.

If I come, how many bronco parts should I bring? 🤪

Whatever you can fit in your little tonka truck. ;) Watch though, now you're going to break something!

Hey folks! So Toyotally Awesome Cruisers invited Battle Born Cruisers to join them for a camping trip Sept 19-21 to Gold Lake, CA. I wanna see what everyone's thoughts are on this. Should we forego Peavine and hit the trail with them? Or keep our plans for a day run? I have never been to Gold Lake so I am naturally curious. It is about 1.5 hours from Reno and there appears to be vault toilets at the campsites. Thoughts?

1598499473779.png

1598499560085.png

1598499602288.png

1598499616532.png

1598499640459.png

That is a great place to camp and wheel. It was my first TLCA run back in 1999, sponsored by Toys on the Rocks Club, in my new to me stock FJ40. Needed to be strapped over one obstacle by the back lake. I think it is called Snake Lake. I can't be there unfortunately, as I will be in UT for my daughters good friends wedding. You should switch. You won't be disappointed.

1598545264144.png

Last edited:
That is a great place to camp and wheel. It was my first TLCA run back in 1999, sponsored by Toys on the Rocks Club, in my new to me stock FJ40. Needed to be strapped over one obstacle by the back lake. I think it is called Snake Lake. I can't be there unfortunately, as I will be in UT for my daughters good friends wedding. You should switch. You won't be disappointed.

View attachment 2417825

That's awesome! Sad that you can't make it though. :(

The toilets are a nice feature but camping in the sites by the lake are better. More primitive and you need to wheel just a bit but they are better. The women appreciate the toilets though. And campfires may be allowed in the designated campgrounds.

The toilets are a nice feature but camping in the sites by the lake are better. More primitive and you need to wheel just a bit but they are better. The women appreciate the toilets though. And campfires may be allowed in the designated campgrounds.
From my understanding, all of California is on a NO-BURN restriction period right now. Could be wrong but that was last I heard from family.

From my understanding, all of California is on a NO-BURN restriction period right now. Could be wrong but that was last I heard from family.

I just looked it up campfires are allowed in designated campsites and permits are still being issued.

I just looked it up campfires are allowed in designated campsites and permits are still being issued.
Ok well that is good to know. My wife and FIL went camping in Tahoe this weekend (west shore) and she said that they were not allowed to have anything other than gas fires. I know that a few weeks ago when I was up at the cabin with family that we were looking the information up, having just gotten a Solo Stove for up there, and the local papers all had information about the fire ban and how it was "indefinite" according to the state fire marshall. So HOPEFULLY that has changed!!!

EDIT: FYI

Last edited:
I'm voting to keep our day run. With big trip I am planning on taking in October, I'd rather not do one in Sept as well. I just went to the meetup location for the day run and confirmed that it is open. No closed signs or barricades in the way.

Well most of CA backcountry is now closed. I am unsure if that includes Dog Valley/Verdi area on which we would travel during this run. I left a message with forest service in charge of that area.

I am in. If I can convince my daughter to bring the XJ for some off road training then I'll lead her on a more mild route, but if not then the route we took at the end of winter is good too. Bring tree trimming tools.

I'll lead her on a more mild route... Bring tree trimming tools.

Cool! I think we will keep most of the group together on the "Jeep trail" if possible I know a few are excited about completing it. I don't currently own a chainsaw, do you have one you could bring @reklund5?

Cool! I think we will keep most of the group together on the "Jeep trail" if possible I know a few are excited about completing it. I don't currently own a chainsaw, do you have one you could bring @reklund5?

We need to be thinking about fire too. As in, let's not be that guy. The jeep trail was very tight - I did get through it in spring, but that is (was) a lot of vegetation to crash through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom