HJ60 Camping & Daily (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all.
Been reading this forum for long time and got lot of help.
Now tough i post my own thread about building'n stuff.
(sorry for grammar etc problems in text, not my first language and wrote it in hurry)

This is my hj60 with 2h motor i changed one to one with lj70 with 3l kzj turbo engine in december last year.
_MG_1920 copyv.jpg

On tash it shows 320k km, and it was questionable for long time, is cruiser badly maintained or is the clock been winded back.
Now i think that old girl hasn't been maintained and wear on everything is bad. If something is fixed, it was fixed cheap as possible.
I give my best to keep up and ahead of maintenance and as soon as i started looking out for her, she started looking out for us.
I have driven 10k km since then with out mayor breakdown. Only thing was wheel bearing exploded while driving and still got us home (100km drive)

Idea for her is to build her for family camping.
So i built rear drawer and bed system on super budget.
Didn't cover plywood with cloth on purpose because of need to transport dirty stuff like chainsaw etc and i knew i will probably build something new in future.

_MG_2673 copy.JPG

Went on 1-2day trip many time with family and system seemed to work. But when we went to week trip it wasn't comfy at all.
Setup was 15 min, and with 2 little children it seemed too long especially if there is like way for it to take 1min(pop-up roof).
And you can't just park & spend night ''stealth mode'' at some more public place if needed.

Now big plan is to build popup roof (with bed ofc) and redo drawer system.
Basically build troopy out of our 60 :D
Only challenge is that rear seats have to stay in and be functional.

Also for better looks and more carrying capability i will build new front & rear bumper.
I will copy factory bumper but add needed functions.

And before all that i need new suspension really bad. Took offers from different places and TT kit was cheapest, and as i read about it, not worst.
But still expensive for us right now.
Build plan list right now

1) Copy of factory front bumper with winch inside
2) Copy of factory read bumper with hinge system for spare wheel & fuel canisters
3) Water tank under car
4) New cargo system
6) Pop up Roof

Bigger (re)building will start in winter, because i would like to drive it as much as possible in summer.

Now to some problems i would like to ask for help from you guys.

1) Good old Edic - After riding 90+kmh (highway speed in Estonia) and stopping & turning engine off and on right away engine starts only for sec. If i disconnect rod or wait for 15-20min it will start.
If i idle little bit, or drive city speed there is no problem.
I had some overheating problem but after thermostat and belt change it went away.
Not just on temp gauge but i can feel the difference, when slowing down from highway speed and accelerating again it has more power than before. Oil pressure is little bit higher and when opening hood after riding there is less heat coming form engine.
So is edic motor bad, can it be rebuilt, or maintained ?

2)Ticking sound coming from engine when under load. Sound gets smaller when engine is warmer.
probably push rod or something valve related?

3) Changed clutch, master and slave cylinder ( all Aisin) and clutch still crabs midway, is it just adjusting problem ?

4)Tach doesn't work at all anymore, changed sensor, but still nothing. Is it normal for sensor to give out 0.6-1+volts when revving ?
I don't remember if i checked did same voltage reach to gauge to see if its wire problem or gauge.

Last edited:
2) I would think old engine needs a valve adjustment first. Should solve ticking noise.

If you check top of this forum. RESOURCES. There are manual for the 2H engine and
also there is a Chassis Manual, both were posted by me. So download them and they are free
from here. I hope that helps you with the maintenance stuff.

For suspension, no idea what access you have to aftermarket systems. If you get Springs, make
sure you get shock absorbers too. Is a big money hit, but they go hand in hand.
Perhaps you have access to airbags for the rear? This would really help handle the build up of weight.
It’s an affordable option and could be done before the whole suspension upgrade.

I really admire you rear cargo set up. Rough but usable.

2) I would think old engine needs a valve adjustment first. Should solve ticking noise.

If you check top of this forum. RESOURCES. There are manual for the 2H engine and
also there is a Chassis Manual, both were posted by me. So download them and they are free
from here. I hope that helps you with the maintenance stuff.

For suspension, no idea what access you have to aftermarket systems. If you get Springs, make
sure you get shock absorbers too. Is a big money hit, but they go hand in hand.
Perhaps you have access to airbags for the rear? This would really help handle the build up of weight.
It’s an affordable option and could be done before the whole suspension upgrade.

I really admire you rear cargo set up. Rough but usable.

Thanks for kind words.
I did valve adjustment, didn't help with ticking but got little bit of power back.

TT kit should come with everything exept steering dampener.

I tried getting by with cheap parts and solutions at first but realised it made car worse. So now on i will try do everyting once and right way. Buy once, cry once.
But air bag idea is someting i should really think about. And with some help from friends not hard to find.

There are online sources now.
www.megazip.net has warehouses in the middle east, so costs are lower. You are actually able to pick your country of origin
for shipping parts. Also, if you get the part numbers you need, try www.amayama.com and they allow you to select
currency and they tend to be cheaper, which is good.
Good luck, keep the pics and updates coming! J

ticking could very well be an exhaust leak...thats what mine was. I was sure it was something mechanical, but it was an exhaust leak.

ticking could very well be an exhaust leak...thats what mine was. I was sure it was something mechanical, but it was an exhaust leak.
It might be possible because there are some bugger welds on pipe near manifold.

Is there good trick for finding leak, soapy wooder(kidding)?

Started work on bumpers.
Right now on 3d model form.
Front :
117667850_223682095648167_5542867053956003905_n.jpg

Rear :
Tagastange.JPG

Decided to go with this kind of hinge system :
Saw idea somewhere here.

LJAM14VR_S_1_web.jpg

Had little time in work so made quick fastener for high-lift jack.
50mmx50mm tube that is bolted on roofrack.
Will replace top bolts with handle type ones.

118498966_602702937282201_8475691890979838561_n copy.jpg

Last edited:
Everybody, good news

7 days + 8 hours and we have lift off.

_MG_2915 copy9x6.jpg

Pulled my self together, sold kidney and gave 3 drops of blood to devil and ordered Terrain Tamer 2 inch lift. With +275kg rear and +80kg front springs.
Assembly took about 8 hours ( all alone).

Before rear edge of fender was 820-830mm high, now 880mm ( I already made poor man lift with longer shackle that lifted car 50-60mm) so overall rise was about 100-120mm. So yeah rear springs where poop.
Front was 860 and now is 960. Now i can build hardcore front bumper.
Ride is little bit harder, but riding corners road/gravel feels more confident not like one of these :

images.jpg

And smaller mod was changing front bulbs with reflectors and it is like driving normal car at night again.

Now i can continue building new bumpers.

Like 2h, slow and steady building car.

What do you have hanging in the rear windows and how are they mounted?
Very nice truck by the way!

What do you have hanging in the rear windows and how are they mounted?
Very nice truck by the way!
Oh you mean molle panels ?
They are wedged between window seal with extra bent strips of metal. There is little concave just before it touches glass.

Yeah it looks nice from far away but there is some carnage done by previous owner that needs do be redone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom