Mic Drop - Help me mount my radio mic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for your pics of how and where you mounted your radio microphone. I've been (over) thinking this thing. I installed a HAM radio last year in my LX470 and my mic is just wrapped around the 4Hi/Lo shifter because I can't seem to find a good solution of how and where to mount the mic. I've seen all sorts of mounting stuff. Ram Mount, magnets, clips, sticky tape. What have you done? Do you like it?

Don't know anything about your LX layout, but you can buy a little chrome mic clip for next to nothing and screw it on anywhere you want. That's what I did on both of my current trucks. FJ40 on the roll cage:

IMG_0735.JPG

FJC on the radio mount:

IMG_0673.JPG

They're handy for me there. Passengers don't seem to mind much; the mics are probably closer to them than me.

Unmounted.

I ran an extension cable (CAT6 I think?) from the radio body (center console) through and under the console. The extension just hangs out between the driver's seat and the console. I don't leave the HAM up all the time as I live in the city.

When it's in use, I just pull the mic from the console, plug it in, and let it hang out in my lap or between me and the console. Then when I'm not using it, the extension cable tucks away and kind of looks like there's nothing to steal.

Past that, have a look at the 3D prints thread run by BenCC. He's got all sorts of stuff for all sorts of uses, and he might work with you to make something custom if you've got a better idea than what he has made already.

I usually install the chrome mic clip on a piece of replaceable plastic. On some vehicles, there's a massive piece of metal or plastic/vinyl that makes up most of the dash. That assembly is really expensive. Thousands of dollars new. Then there's often much smaller sections that clip or screw in, around the radio, near ashtray, etc. These smaller pieces can take screws, and later be replaced affordably if you don't want to fill the holes.

@1911 I like the simplicity.

@saucebox I hadn't thought of just unplugging the mic when not in use. I normally have the mic across my lap when wheeling, so that be super simple solution.

@wapitimud That's good advice about attaching to an easily/cheaply replaced section of dash.

I wish the LX470 had a more utilitarian dash layout. This is what I'm working with. My radio is snugged up under the ashtray with velcro tape. The ashtry might be good place to screw to, but there's not much room for the mic there and I'd have to relocate the radio head. There's no convenient panel to pop-out like earlier LX/LC versions where BenCC made a mic mount. I have one tiny "blank" in the dash under the Tuner Knob.

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

I'm using the Nite-Ize Steelie mount. Low profile button on the back of the handset clip and multipurpose steel ball on dash. Basically the red button has a high strength neodymium magnet inside and a covering of red nonslip rubber. The steel ball has 3m double stick base and can be used with other devices that have the button magnet.
1597094804259.png

I'm using the Nite-Ize Steelie mount. Low profile button on the back of the handset clip and multipurpose steel ball on dash. Basically the red button has a high strength neodymium magnet inside and a covering of red nonslip rubber. The steel ball has 3m double stick base and can be used with other devices that have the button magnet.

I checked around with some local 406 Cruiser Club members and found another guy using the Nite Ize Steelie with the same low profile button on the mic. He also said it was bomber. Low profile button on the mic fits perfect. That was enough to tip the scale for me. I bought a second Steelie to hold my phone. Figured I could swap the phone/mic from left/right Steelie when wheelin. Access to the stereo and climate controls doesn't seem too limited. The sticky back on the Steelie feels super strong. I hope it will hold up to wicked hot summer dash temps and the occasional 20 below winter days.

IMG_4825.jpg

For the cellphone mounts, there's special bent steel sections that fit between the plastic sections on your dash. The same mounts can be used to hold a mic clip.
Right on. That'd be a clean solution. Do you know who makes them, or have any pics of them installed?

Right on. That'd be a clean solution. Do you know who makes them, or have any pics of them installed?
Maybe he’s referring to the ProClips? Here is an example of one that a member used to mount his phone. I’m sure there is a version for 100 series.

Flat piece of bent steel that slides right into the gaps. @BloggerL might be able to chime in here.

83C4153F-5A43-43FE-B7CC-9012F143007E.png

5506FC75-454B-4D75-9E92-3BD705E1D0CC.png

7DD846D8-4B00-4955-B594-70F52E9B4938.png

Last edited:
No. I wasn't referring to that ProClip at all. That's not how it's done professionally.

On a modern vehicle a plastic section of the dash will pop out, special bent steel will go between sections with screws hidden behind dash.

No. I wasn't referring to that ProClip at all. That's not how it's done professionally.

On a modern vehicle a plastic section of the dash will pop out, special bent steel will go between sections with screws hidden behind dash.

That link leads to a lot of ram mounts so im trying to picture what you mean but it’s not easy.

There is various mounts for nearly every application. The new Tacoma and Tundra have a ram mount bracket for an in-cab laptop. Their bracket bolts onto the front bottom bolts of the passenger's seat, to allow for a no-drill install there, for example.

Your local cell install shop should have a lead on the brackets you require for a new vehicle, there may have not been the market on your LX470 for cellular installs when it was new in order to create a specific inter-dash bracket for it though, I don't know.

You might try one of these Magnetic Mic plus, I hear this guy will cut you a decent deal. I have one that I use in my SxS.

I have the Magnetic Mic mounts. Works well.

IMG_1459.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom