Sniper EFI questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys and gals, I'm in the middle of my sniper install. Taking it super slow between kids being home all the time and work.

Have read too many sniper threads and I am trying to figure out what to do with my stock distributor. I assumed I was ok to run the sniper with the stock Dizzy but see most people pull them out. Why? Can I run it with the stock distributor?

Thanks in advance.

A friend helped me install my Sniper, and I can tell you I absolutely am using my stock ignition (coil, igniter, stock distributor.) I can't tell you the pros and cons of either, but I CAN tell you mine runs exceptionally well!

That's great news. Thank you.

I too wonder what the advantage of running a different distributor. Must offer some kind of performance benefit maybe more complete burn of the fuel or something.

Just finished de-smogging it last night. Today I hope to start installing the sniper slowly but surely.

If you go to a more powerful coil then you can increase the plug gap and retain the same spark duration. The bigger gap improves fuel ignition.

so that may be the incentive to switching distributors.

The stock distributors have actual bearings. They are built better too. With your desmog, stock advance curve happens to quickly, but will work if you retard the timing some but having it recurved seems to be the best choice. Play with it.

The bees knees would be a programmable ignition. It would throw out the simple concept associated with a 2F in core form but honestly a Sniper pretty much deep sixes that anyways. I'd have to research what is out there these days but something from MSD or Megasquirt etc. Basically you'd get rid of the distributor and run coil packs, a crank position sensor, and a program box with curve data.

What capability does the Sniper have to run ignition?

@Seth S , Yes! A programmable, water resistant ignition that works with the Sniper, would be the the bee's knees.
Maybe something has been developed for the 250 Chevy I-6 that could be converted?

@Seth S , Yes! A programmable, water resistant ignition that works with the Sniper, would be the the bee's knees.
Maybe something has been developed for the 250 Chevy I-6 that could be converted?
There is this available:

1595463589012.png

The warning I'd say is that its easy to go down the rabbit hole and drain your wallet on this topic. Sniper I think is well proven at this point and I can justify the investment. I were to go to a standalone programmable ignition it could easily be another $1k to $2k project and I suspect the results would be enjoyable but at some point I'd be questioning if I saw enough improvement to justify the investment vs just getting my stock dizzy re-curved.

Have been working away at the install slowly but surely. Having three young kids doesn’t make it easy to take time to do it!

I got a new carb insulator and finally plopped the sniper in place. I also Installed the power surge and ran all the fuel lines.

Next step is to run the throttle cable. Have been trying to find good pictures of peoples previous setups but have been struggling at that. I put an email into Cam for some guidance.

Last step is wiring and then firing it all up...

C72AF229-C566-4AB8-8348-912CFCCF0FD5.jpeg

190F6F80-0CE0-46A8-9E89-78F5DED31B63.jpeg

Have been working away at the install slowly but surely. Having three young kids doesn’t make it easy to take time to do it!

I got a new carb insulator and finally plopped the sniper in place. I also Installed the power surge and ran all the fuel lines.

Next step is to run the throttle cable. Have been trying to find good pictures of peoples previous setups but have been struggling at that. I put an email into Cam for some guidance.

Last step is wiring and then firing it all up...

View attachment 2414408

View attachment 2414409
You really should put a fuel pressure gauge on the supply line just before the Sniper. When I first started mine up for the first time I had over 150 psi and fuel was splashing out. Turned out I had a damaged fuel regulator from the factory. Then two weeks later, the Earl's fuel filter clogged. 10 micron filter cloggs easily. That gauge helped me diagnose the problem quickly. I recommend a bigger fuel filter and a spare just in case.

Good advice. What fuel pump system did you use? I now have three filters in the system. I'm hoping I'm ok!

If you go to a more powerful coil then you can increase the plug gap and retain the same spark duration. The bigger gap improves fuel ignition.

so that may be the incentive to switching distributors.
No need to swap the distributor if you want a bigger coil. I've run a Accel supercoil for years using the stock distributor. IMHO, the stock unit is superior to a HEI unit.

Good advice. What fuel pump system did you use? I now have three filters in the system. I'm hoping I'm ok!
I used a Walbro in a 38 gallon FJ62 tank. It is great but I have to listen to the fuel pump all the time. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have done a FJ60 38 gallon with the Power Surge. BTW, the clogged Earl's filter destroyed my first Walbro

15982845202592227850301666601838.jpg

Have had the Sniper installed for about 1,500 miles with stock dizzy and ignition coil. Runs great. Huge improvement over stock carb setup.

Are you using the High altitude advancer on the Dizzy? If not, did you leave open to atmosphere or did you cap it off?

I think I am complicating myself, but it looks like the normal advancer goes to the port on the Sniper.

The big port on the sniper stays capped and the secondary port is for the Charcoal canister? Just need to ge a reducer to go from firewall hardline to that port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom