Sniper install, which distributor. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just ordered a Sniper kit from @FJ60Cam to install this summer/fall probably into winter. Very excited! While I got permission from the ole’ battle axe to spend money, was trying to research which distributor. I have read about DUIs and FJ60 distributors. I’m leaning towards an FJ60 distributor, only because it looks more factory than the DUI. I’m not 100% against using one though just never liked the way the HEI style distributors look. A couple questions.

I have done a FiTech swap in a Mustang and the only difficulty was finding 12v during crank and run. Had to bypass a resistor wire to get that full 12v. Any issues like that with a 40?

Which year distributors from an FJ60 would fit my 69 FJ40 F engine?

What is involved with installed the FJ60 distributor such as any mods/extra parts needed?

I come from Mustangs and 40s are very different animals! I have used the search function, just still learning about all the differences between years/engines.

Either distributor you mentioned will work fine with the Sniper. 3 years ago, I replaced my Pertronix distributor with a DUI. I considered the FJ60 dizzy but because I could only buy one used, I decided on a brand-new DUI. I like how it is all in one unit and new parts if I should need any, are quick and easy to get. One year ago, I installed the Sniper and it runs fine with the DUI. Easy hookup with the Sniper. There are only two terminals on the DUI. The wire from your ignition switch that now goes to your coil + will go to the “BATT” terminal on the DUI. The yellow wire from the Sniper harness goes to the “TACH” terminal on the DUI and that is it. If you run an electric tach, you connect it to the brown wire from the Sniper.

If you haven’t already, download the install pdf to look it over while you’re waiting on delivery. “199R11321”

Any year; in U.S. market models anyway, I don't think there was any change in the stock dizzy for the entire run of FJ60's.

What is involved with installed the FJ60 distributor such as any mods/extra parts needed?

You will also need the dished engine side cover (pushrod gallery cover) from an FJ60 2F. You will need the coil and igniter from a late 40 or FJ60.

The FJ60 dizzy has two ports on the vacuum advancer; the inner one needs ported vacuum from the carb and the outer one you will have to cap since it is run by the High Altitude Compensation system, which you don't have on your '69.

Any year; in U.S. market models anyway, I don't think there was any change in the stock dizzy for the entire run of FJ60's.

You will also need the dished engine side cover (pushrod gallery cover) from an FJ60 2F. You will need the coil and igniter from a late 40 or FJ60.

The FJ60 dizzy has two ports on the vacuum advancer; the inner one needs ported vacuum from the carb and the outer one you will have to cap since it is run by the High Altitude Compensation system, which you don't have on your '69.
I’m guessing the FJ60 dished side cover will need to be used with either distributor?

I’m guessing the FJ60 dished side cover will need to be used with either distributor?

I would assume so, but I only have experience with the 60 dizzy, not the DUI or HEI. @Solace in Solitude would know if the DUI needs one.

I did not have to change my stock un-dished side cover on my 74. It cleared just fine. But note that I do not have a heater or any heater piping or hoses and I can't remember if they might have interfered. Maybe this pic of mine might help.

DUI 01.jpg

I've got one of the cheap chinese HEI dizzy's sold off ebay... Big cap with the coil on top, the shaft is tall enough that it clears the side / push rod cover. The metal heat hose bolted to the side of the engine had to move. I ASSUME the DUI is similar....

I'm GUESSING that the larger cap toyota distributors weren't as tall? And that's why they need the "dished" cover?

DUI all the way! @FJ60Cam can help you tune it in perfect too with your Sniper kit.

I would assume so, but I only have experience with the 60 dizzy, not the DUI or HEI. @Solace in Solitude would know if the DUI needs one.

I know nothing about an F engine, nor about EFI.

I didn’t have to change side covers on my ‘78 2F, to fit my DUI. But, I did have to remove the heater tube (I’ve misplaced the name), from just below the side cover... didn’t natter, I was removing the heaters anyway.

if you go with DUI, I’d wait for it and see, you may be able to just rotate the dissy slightly.

Side view of mine.
DUI side.jpg

Gathering the parts for my Sniper conversion now. I currently have the non U.S. distributor converted to Pertronix and an MSD 6a on that. I intend to see how it works with the Sniper conversion. It's been fine for years. We'll see after the sniper update.

I just toasted my 2nd HEI dizzy in 5000 miles. What I'm learning the hard way has to do with the lubrication, the bushing, and heat. The FJ60 dizzy has bearings and is vented on vacuum because Toyota understands. HEI's don't.
Anyhow, having distributor troubles while dialing in your Sniper will complicate things. I wish I had taken the time to disassemble and lube the HEI before installing it. Maybe it had too much or too little end play? Anyhow, I'm putting the 60 dizzy back in.

All FJ60 distributors are the same. A dented side cover from an '81 and later 2F is needed.

'81 to '87 coil and igniter is needed. If you mount the coil and igniter on the passenger side inner fender (up high) you'll need to extend the two-wire lead or fabricate a jumper to get the required length. And if you want to take advantage of the distributor venting you'll need a source of intake manifold vacuum (later 2Fs have a gas filter fitting with three vacuum nipples), a vacuum control valve (VCV), a special vacuum tee fitting, and a filter at the firewall (an FJ60 filter can be easily added).

Because your FJ40 doesn't have high altitude compensation (HAC) you don't need a dual diaphragm vacuum advancer. I'm finishing the refurbishment of an FJ60 distributor (will be posted in the For Sale forum in a few days), and I've got a supply of suitable single diaphragm advancers - new NipponDenso advancers - if you decide to go with an FJ60 distributor.

Here are a few photos:

FJ60 coil and igniter
1598190312695.png

Jumper
1598190422248.png

VCV and hoses
1598190647125.png

Filter at firewall
1598190705400.png

Firewall filter - engine bay
1598190790340.png

All FJ60 distributors are the same. A dented side cover from an '81 and later 2F is needed.

'81 to '87 coil and igniter is needed. If you mount the coil and igniter on the passenger side inner fender (up high) you'll need to extend the two-wire lead or fabricate a jumper to get the required length. And if you want to take advantage of the distributor venting you'll need a source of intake manifold vacuum (later 2Fs have a gas filter fitting with three vacuum nipples), a vacuum control valve (VCV), a special vacuum tee fitting, and a filter at the firewall (an FJ60 filter can be easily added).

Because your FJ40 doesn't have high altitude compensation (HAC) you don't need a dual diaphragm vacuum advancer. I'm finishing the refurbishment of an FJ60 distributor (will be posted in the For Sale forum in a few days), and I've got a supply of suitable single diaphragm advancers - new NipponDenso advancers - if you decide to go with an FJ60 distributor.

Here are a few photos:

FJ60 coil and igniter
View attachment 2413310

Jumper
View attachment 2413312

VCV and hoses
View attachment 2413315

Filter at firewall
View attachment 2413316

Firewall filter - engine bay
View attachment 2413318
@4Cruisers thanks for all the info! What would be the downsides of not running the distributor venting? Sending PM

@4Cruisers thanks for all the info! What would be the downsides of not running the distributor venting? Sending PM
Hydrocarbons and moisture will eventually cause problems. Even if you attached it to weak vacuum at the breather it would be better. I love that the vent is in the cabin on the firewall. Makes sense being we rely on these vehicles to get us home in the Backcountry. The 60's came with a protective boot as well (same with my 1980 pickup). I've learned on non-Toyotas that a small amount of condensation in the distributor cap can ruin a perfectly good day.

'81 to '87 coil and igniter is needed.

Just as a single data point and FYI, my FJ60 dizzy was plug 'n play with my stock 12/79 coil and igniter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom