Wits End Turbo Owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait.... Bigger than needed turbo.... Low boost?
Y’all think maybe uncle Joeys goal was to have a smog legal reliable unit.
Now let’s see who’s the first one to void the warranties and turn it up to 11......
It's in the plans in my head... Big injectors, 20psi, intercooler, piggy back etc.

I am using a Haltech ECU, but you could use anything you feel comfortable with. AEM, Haltech, Motec, Link, Adaptronic, etc. It really just depends on your budget and how comfortable you are tuning. The actual wiring is super easy you really only need like 4 wires.

No need for a 7th injector if you use a standalone, you can adjust injector pulse width on the stock injectors or you could put in bigger injectors like I did and control those. The standalone really adds a lot of possibility and the sky is the limit; coil-on-plug, E85, maps for regular and premium, etc.

Thanks for the solid info. 👍

Cheers

if you really want to talk about turbo 1FZ’s just shoot me a message. I don’t want to muddy the water about the turbo kit that is for sale and what it sounds like you might want.

Thanks for the solid info. 👍

Cheers

I can get a/my 1FZ to cruise just fine and pull passes just fine by simply tuning it. 😁

I would want more. The 5vz did burnouts! 😂😎

Cheers
I can guarantee you that a turbo and intercooled 1FZ at about 8 lbs of boost with front driveshaft pulled (and CDL locked) will do burnouts to your heart's content.

A gturboed and fuelled 1HDT will also do the same thing for the record :)

I miss them both :( but life moves on and sometimes that means cruisers do too.

can someone make me a video of your boost gauge + engine RPM pls? I want to get a feel for when the boost comes up and hits 7psi.

Thx.

Last edited:
I did a thing.... :flipoff2:

1597928346919.png
1597928378491.png
1597928418091.png

I can guarantee you that a turbo and intercooled 1FZ at about 8 lbs of boost with front driveshaft pulled (and CDL locked) will do burnouts to your heart's content.

A gturboed and fuelled 1HDT will also do the same thing for the record :)

I miss them both :( but life moves on and sometimes that means cruisers do too.

My turbo from Joey with Rear Wheel drive (Part time), stock boost no IC or meth, 7100lbs (not fully loaded), with 35s on 4.88s was chirping tires on 2nd gear. I did not do a CDL locked burnout but I know it will do it! It's got a stupid amount of power in RWD. 4wd def feels a lot faster but nothing like RWD and the Turbo together. I still say to this day I need a lighter 80 with stock tires and a turbo kit and RWD. That be a blast to daily!

can someone make me a video of your boost gauge + engine RPM pls? I want to get a feel for when the boost comes up and hits 7psi.

Thx.
I haven't seen 7psi on mine yet. The max recorded on my PLX was 6.2-6.3s if I'm hard flooring it. Usually with a medium throttle its 5s

I haven't seen 7psi on mine yet. The max recorded on my PLX was 6.2-6.3s if I'm hard flooring it. Usually with a medium throttle its 5s
I have seen 7 PSI consistently, especially pulling hills in the Sierra's. Under a hard acceleration, it will blip over 7 PSI to 7.2, 7.3, but the waste gate quickly corrects that back down. I put that down to a bit of a delayed response in the waste gate. I am running the 14 in 1 gauge setup from JRP.

Truck is down right now, sheared off all of the d-side rear axle hub studs on the Rubicon a few weeks back. in the process of upgrading to M10 hardware. Turbo did not do that, as it does not develop any boost in 4 Low crawling. That was 37" tires, a ton of gear, 4.88 diff gears, 3.11:1 transfer case gears, and some really good traction on really big rocks. Had fun limping it out of there and back to South Lake Tahoe for a bolt fix.

Edit: I should add that the Lambda on the wide band is always at 1 or below. I have never seen it get lean, but do not watch it religiously. Makes me wonder if there is a bit of headroom in the stock system for a bit more boost... Dangerous thinking there.

Last edited:

This is good info, thx for that. If you have the time, please post up a short video.

Coupla things:
1) Changed the stock new gen blue hub fluid to 20k from stock. Brownish goo came out. put 50ml of 20k in. Temps are 8-10* cooler on average. Otherwise 20k old cooling system. Stoked on that.
2) Oil feed line at top of turbo worked itself "hand tight". Happened to notice it was loose and pulled the feed line, re-tightened the insert into the turbo, then reattached feed line. I had checked this multiple times but recommend you all keep an eye on yours as well. Looked like the thread sealant had cooked out of the threads loosening it up. Wonder if tight temp thread sealant is a thing.
3) I have an obnoxious rattle under acceleration. Can't find it. Probably not turbo related but its going to drive me insane.

Love this turbo so much. Its such a game changer for the 80.

what gauge mounts are guys using? I ordered this one but the dash is slightly round anywhere close to where I would mount it so not sure I will use it. Amazon product ASIN B00IRZ4HHW
picked up a Innovate PSB-1 AFR and boost gauge.

This was the mount that my brother and I came up with. Post #218

This was the mount that my brother and I came up with. Post #218

that looks great. I ordered the autometer 3 gauge universal and will make a simalar mount for it. Going for boost/afr, oil pressure/ temp and water temp/voltage from innovate.

6.2 is fine. It is totally possible your cats are old and slightly restrictive. This is not rocket surgery ;) The plan was to be overly safe rather than overly risky.

Did a few wide open pulls on the highway from about 40mph. Only seeing 6-6.2 psi. Hmm

6.2 is fine. It is totally possible your cats are old and slightly restrictive. This is not rocket surgery ;) The plan was to be overly safe rather than overly risky.
True. I come from turbo Subaru world and am used to running catless setups.
First cat is recently replaced. Second is original. Might be time to replace just for mo boost if it'd help. Also wasn't posting to complain, just to give a comparison point to others.

Yeah catless would reduce the restriction and possibly make more boost but the system is designed to be as fool proof as possible with as close to the stock setup as possible and not require an electronic boost controller.

True. I come from turbo Subaru world and am used to running catless setups.
First cat is recently replaced. Second is original. Might be time to replace just for mo boost if it'd help. Also wasn't posting to complain, just to give a comparison point to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom