Disappearing FJ40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I actually hope the new Bronco takes people away from LCs that were never really serious about them in the first place... the posers, the lifestyle vehicle buyer, etc.

Let Ford have those people.

I missed out on an very clean 77 on CL to another member in the local club. Within two years see another member owned it. 40 series are not for everyone. Forty six years with my first one think the 40 series is part of my DNA. Luckily I collected my own personal salvage yard over the years, which continues to grows. Just needed to expand where I look for them.

Emailed guy just a few minutes too late last night for a 72 with a snowplow. It was in small town west of Steamboat where i work and the plow is needed at the airport. I was actually surprised it was still available 18 days after posted.

I agree on parts, I found set of boxed up brake lines i ordered 3-4 years ago I didn't even know I had while doing some cleaning. Hate to throw anything way on these projects, never know when you or someone could use it.

I actually hope the new Bronco takes people away from LCs that were never really serious about them in the first place... the posers, the lifestyle vehicle buyer, etc.

PLEASE AND THANK YOU AND YES IM SHOUTING. Still have my 40 i bought at 15 years old 24 years later! And a few more...

I stopped by the local used Land Rover shop in Santa Fe last week and talked to the owner a bit. He currently has a couple of FJ40s tucked in with his British inventory. I get the feeling from talking to him that he really likes his Land Cruisers :).

Fj60 prices have exploded as you all probably know - they Use to be everywhere it seemed and you could ‘easily’ find them for 2f parts. My 40 has a 60 2f the previous owner got for $200 - still running strong. About 3 years ago a guy down the street had a 60 he basically gave away for $800 Because nobody wanted to work on it around here..that rig would bring $6-8k now. I was into classic broncos years ago (still have one I never drive..) before I got my 40 and decided to sell some old bronco parts I had accumulated..holy $&*@ the money people were paying shocked me..like $450 for a NOS horn ring, $400 for a clean floor mat, etc. it’s just expensive to restore a classic vehicle now. My dad is into old Willy trucks and they are still cheap but I told him this isn’t 1985 anymore when you could buy a Decent parts truck for $500

Now you know why the rise of the "Florida import cruiser"....I mean Venezuelan cruisers and others from Central and South America.

Last year I went to a show where a 120K "fjco" cruiser was there. Don't get me started. In short, he had no idea, only had wealth and bought it for "the experience." Yet was running into all sorts of issues.

Fjco, and a slew of Ebay'ers and other importers have been at this once the rise in US Market 40's started to trend upwards and the desire for vintage exploded.

This isn't unique to FJ40's. Look at late 60's early 70's 911 Porsche. Unreal prices on a 911T, which would maybe have brought 12-15k, 15 years ago, now in the 60-120k range.

Bring a Trailer is today's Barrett-Jackson. Great if you have a US market FJ40, horrible if you're trying to find a good one.

I am guilty of spending stupid money on the hard-to-find part that is necessary for my restoration. It sucks, but I will pay the money to have it "right" as it was in 1978. I'm not exaggerating when I say that to properly "restore" (not refresh, mod, or clean up...I mean actually restore) a 40 series cruiser correctly is five+ times what it was 10 years ago. I have a steady cash leak out the back door - but for me, especially in this virus stupidity and political crap, restoring my FJ40 is my therapy.

/off the soap box.

Last edited:
i agree, its WAAAYYY more $$$ and hassle/hard work to OEM a 40 (or any classic). the point i often make is that all these high end restomods are often cheaper to do for people wanting to flip..and easy sale to the masses. its all your own personal style - whatever you desire.
from my experience most of the restomods seem to have more problems, esp overheating and electronic failures from poor engineering adaptation - ie a high HP engine in a tractor design. a buddy has a muscle car restomod and its been towed 3 times now where he wont even drive it more than 5 mile radius.
i'm not a stickler when it comes to safety upgrades though

Hi, Think of how many are being wrecked as daily drivers. The supply is never been high and getting worse.How many did Cali. Crush during their buy back and get it off the road policy. Mike

I first saw an FJ Cruiser, it was a big disappointment. Too large and no removable hardtop.

Most people think these old trucks look cool. And there is a big market for vehicles this size and topless, just look at how well jeeps sell.

But when it comes to driving some old, slow, bouncy and noisy machine, not so much. (not to mention a manual transmission...)

Think of how many are being wrecked as daily drivers.

I bought it to enjoy it, not lock it in the garage. If I wear mine out and wreck it up it did exactly what it was meant to do and did exactly what I bought it to do.

I bought it to enjoy it, not lock it in the garage. If I wear mine out and wreck it up it did exactly what it was meant to do and did exactly what I bought it to do.

I’ve been super jealous watching Ryan’s enjoy his truck while I’ve been busy over restoring our ‘72. He and I started at about the same time. We are doing the ultra clean, new oem parts, near perfect build as we speak. It was a $900 parts rig stuck on the side of a mountain, that was the cheapest part of the build. It is almost done but is stressful to work around because it is too nice.

My next build might not even have any nice paint. It is definitely getting an LS and will be built to daily drive while our roads aren’t salted. I might even jump it....

When my stock 6 cylinder pulled my fully self contained travel trailer up Cajon Pass at 25 mph, and my 300 h.p. Chevota pulled the same trailer up the same pass at 55 mph, I very quickly gave up any "purist" thoughts I might have habored.

Last edited:
As used part prices and scarcity go up, economics suggests that availability of repro parts will also rise.
I went on a 10 yr cruiser hiatus and it was incredible to see how much more was available when I started getting back in

I might even jump it....
Now we're talking.

@Pighead would approve of this message.

Hi, I'm Pighead, and I approve this approval of jumping your rig.
pig flies.jpg

Now that’s more like it! Very few “new” things that have any soul, is that the right word??? If you know and love 40’s you get what I am saying.....

Easier to find a FJ40 than a FJ60 - overnight they were gone from Craigslist. FJ40 parts can still be had - I have what I need in case something fails on the road. If you work the FJ40 community, seems like everyone has something stored away. Some for sale if you ask nicely.

The Bronco is really nice -getting the two door for daughter. Each vehicle has it proper owner. I have had jeeps, scouts, broncos - enjoyed them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom