Disappearing FJ40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I go through the classifieds 3 times a day, and have noticed the same trend. Prices rising too!

Many of the FJ60/FJ62 parts in the classifieds are destined for installation in FJ40s - front axles/components, 2F and 3FE engines, transmissions/transfer cases/propeller shafts, starters, distributors/coils/igniters, brake/clutch parts, wheels, etc. As soon as I get closer to finishing my '71 FJ40 build, I'll be posting a lot of good leftovers in the classifieds. Over the past 20 years I've been accumulating FJ40 parts for the build - I've ended up with multiples of many items. Yes, I'm a hoarder.

If you need a good indication as to the future of used FJ40 parts availability in the USA, look at the Mud classified ads, now dominated by newer FJ60/80/100 parts.

It's harder to find rigs to part out, last 40 I did was 3 years ago, even 60's and 62's are getting harder to find for a fair price.
55's are becoming non-existent

I think you have more people than ever into this stuff.... I think you have more 'restoration shops' open and buying up part lots than ever.... and I think you have more people hanging on to extras than ever.

Ive only been in the land cruiser world since 2012, and just in that short time I have noticed things get much more expensive and harder to find. While it might suck to pay for some of these things, I think it is doing great for the community and value of properly build/restored trucks (even if the market is soft right now).

I have also noticed a strong upward trend in prices on Gumtree for 40-series in Australia. $12K-$15K (AUD) seems to be the norm when a year ago $5K-$6K (AUD) was much more prevalent. Scarcity and worldwide demand are likely to blame.

My favorite is “just find a cheap running 2F that was recently rebuilt and has good compression”. Great advice 10 years ago.

Craigslist definitely doesn't have 40's like they use to 10 or even 5 years ago. Rare to see something that isn't way above what they are worth. I don't think the trend of overpriced 40's is going to change...sadly. Then findings parts is only going to get worse. On the other hand I am seeing several companies like Kurts and City racer offer things I didn't know were available.

I'm probably going to go ahead and cash out on my 40 and all the extra parts. Take that extra loot and buy a new Bronco.

I actually hope the new Bronco takes people away from LCs that were never really serious about them in the first place... the posers, the lifestyle vehicle buyer, etc.

Let Ford have those people.
Couldn't agree more Onur. I think the Broncho would serve them better. Took the troopy to town this morning to eat a pancake. This is a rare event since i really don't like the people and can't stand town but figured my $13 short stack could help the locals. Talked to @Tancruiser few hours later and was told he heard i was driving around town in Blue troopy this morning. Gotta love the small town!!!

I think a small part of it also has to do with people figuring out they can order many parts from Toyota still. A few years back I used to search classifieds for things like battery tray, brackets, fenders, taillights, etc even Weather stripping was sold Used on there.

Now I first check if it’s avail new from mr t then go to classifieds
And lots of reproduction that wasn’t avail a few years back also

Couldn't agree more Onur. I think the Broncho would serve them better. Took the troopy to town this morning to eat a pancake. This is a rare event since i really don't like the people and can't stand town but figured my $13 short stack could help the locals. Talked to @Tancruiser few hours later and was told he heard i was driving around town in Blue troopy this morning. Gotta love the small town!!!

Now if I were able to swap my 40 for a troopy, that would be something that I could get on board with.

I don't care what people think of what I drive; I'm not in it for them. I don't care what they drive; I don't care if they're in it for me. I'm just too old to care about such stuff, other than to wish people well in all life's endeavors...

(Now some English teacher is going to care about my incorrect use of semicolons. Like I care!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom