Any hints to find an 06/07 lc or lx? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone
New to the forum And not currently part of the lc100 party yet but I'm in the market. A little background on my current car history. I've been a die hard Toyota fan. My first car (which i still own) is a 92 mr2 turbo. This was my father son project. My dad was a mechanic so he taught me through experience. We swapped everything in that thing down to the motor. Fast forward 20 years later, I bought an 18 trd pro 4runner. It was a great toy but ultimately i was too gunshy to rip down a 55k truck to upgrade and wheel with. So i made the decision to sell the whale and get a family suv for the time being (20 rx450h). Now that i settled some finances I'm looking for a toy that my daughter and i can work on like my dad did with me. Granted she's only 4 months, i can get a head start until she can hold a wrench on her own. I'm in the market for an 06 or 07 land cruiser or lx470. I know they're very similar and I've read the noob articles detailing the differences along the generations. So my question to you folks is where have you found these great beasts for sale. I've checked a few of the usual places ie. Craigslist, autotrader, cars.com etc but they're all used car lots. Is that going to be my only choice? Thanks for your help in advance.

P.s. I'm in San Francisco but I'm willing to drive a bit to get a deal.

You're in the right spot to find one.

Cargurus and Facebook marketplace are additoooptuons, as well as the classifieds forum here

Get one that's been maintained. When you find one, enter the VIN into either the Lexus Owners or Toyota owners sites (actually manufacture site) and you'll pull all the service history from the dealership and use carfax or a free vin check site.

Good luck

Why only the 06-07 models? You’re gonna have a hard time finding one. Might as well consider any 03+ model if you want to get in a 100 ASAP.

I'm not in a rush to get one. I don't have any more vacation time to go camping right now if i wanted to.

Vvti, updated braking, active ride height, led tail lights, new grill on the lc. I'm pretty much just going by this write up

I know the ride height thing isn't a big deal once that all gets changed but I'm going to take my time installing toys

You just have to look every day and have your cash ready. Several trucks I was looking at sold before I could go look at them, usually same day they were listed. SF is a good spot to find a nice clean LX. I bought my LX in Freemont and it was a soccer mom special, totally stock and completely clean and garaged it's whole life. Worth it to look outside of your home state also, there are always some good clean ones that pop up in SD, KS, MT, NM, etc in places with smaller populations.

You just have to look every day and have your cash ready. Several trucks I was looking at sold before I could go look at them, usually same day they were listed. SF is a good spot to find a nice clean LX. I bought my LX in Freemont and it was a soccer mom special, totally stock and completely clean and garaged it's whole life. Worth it to look outside of your home state also, there are always some good clean ones that pop up in SD, KS, MT, NM, etc in places with smaller populations.

Thanks! Which site did you find your lx?

No reason not to hold out for an 06/07. They ARE out there. But... you have to be A. Willing to travel/ship and B. Ready to jump.

Last edited:
Looking for a 100 series myself - and gotta ask when I hear "have cash ready" are you guys literally showing up to take a look at these vehicles with +/- $10K cash in your pocket?

With the internet full of scammers and criminals - meeting an unknown person with that much cash on hand just seems like a really bad idea.

Looking for a 100 series myself - and gotta ask when I hear "have cash ready" are you guys literally showing up to take a look at these vehicles with +/- $10K cash in your pocket?

With the internet full of scammers and criminals - meeting an unknown person with that much cash on hand just seems like a really bad idea.

That's why you show up with cash in one pocket and a gun in the other.

But for simplicity's sake, I think most sellers would allow a reasonable deposit with the stipulation that the balance would be paid within X hours. Transferring funds is so easy today, you don't really need to bring all dolla dolla bills.

Additionally, if you've been corresponding with a seller properly, you should have a good feeling of their legitimacy, especially for an enthusiast's type of vehicle. They'll be pretty forthcoming because they're not selling an appliance, they're selling their hobby.

Last edited:

I think they just mean "be ready to act", which is to say ready to put down a mutually agreed upon deposit and get a receipt that makes it clear that you have a contract for purchase.

Nah man, it means having your funds lined up beforehand. If you are going to finance, have the funds secured and ready.

Best bet is to have some cash handy as a deposit to hold the truck for a brief time until PPIs etc are completed. Then, when ready to finish the deal, head to the bank with the seller and get a bank/counter check cut in their name. The funds are immediately certified that way, and the seller knows it is all good. Bonus is that if any paperwork needs a notary, the bank should provide that service too.

06-07 had updated brakes? Did I read that correctly? In what way?

Nah man, it means having your funds lined up beforehand. If you are going to finance, have the funds secured and ready.

Best bet is to have some cash handy as a deposit to hold the truck for a brief time until PPIs etc are completed. Then, when ready to finish the deal, head to the bank with the seller and get a bank/counter check cut in their name. The funds are immediately certified that way, and the seller knows it is all good. Bonus is that if any paperwork needs a notary, the bank should provide that service too.

Ok good this is how I intended to do things - I was afraid the game might have changed with all the sharks out there hunting for a flipmobile.

Craigslist is still king of "good deals", IMO, because it's the easiest way to list something. That means people that care the least about getting the most cash for their car will post there. It's also the most risky.

To find a "good deal" you really have to have a high risk tolerance. You have to be ok gambling with thousands of dollars. To score a good deal, you're almost always going to have to skip any PPI. That means you jump on a car when it lists, show up quickly or put down a deposit remotely without having full confidence what you're buying.

Finding a "good deal" also doesn't always mean finding the lowest price. Make sure you properly value a clean car vs a basektcase. You can get a "good deal" and still spend $20k on a 100.

No need to bring cash if it's over $10k. As stated by someone else, have financing completely ready or have funds in your bank account to pay for it before you arrive. If you agree on price, go get a cashier's check at a local bank that same day (or next business day).

Ok good this is how I intended to do things - I was afraid the game might have changed with all the sharks out there hunting for a flipmobile.
If a seller won't follow the simple steps I outlined, and they insist on cash only, in hand, AND YOU HAVEN'T SEEN an appropriate title in the seller's name, just leave.

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom