fj40 factory power steering what to do now??? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I sent my steering gear box off to get rebuilt and they say the spool valve is bad and can't be replaced (working when i sent just leaked but not the issue now). Repair shop said none to be found for parts. Any suggestions on what to do next?? Saginaw, toyota truck box? Can I use my factory pump on either? Will a manual box work for now? Very frustrating.

I sent my steering gear box off to get rebuilt and they say the spool valve is bad and can't be replaced (working when i sent just leaked but not the issue now). Repair shop said none to be found for parts. Any suggestions on what to do next?? Saginaw, toyota truck box? Can I use my factory pump on either? Will a manual box work for now? Very frustrating.

The solid axle mini truck steering internals will fit into your FJ40 housing. They are getting tough to find but not impossible.

Manual steering box would work. The shaft in the column with be short. If you have a 79/80 a manual shaft should be easy to locate. The US import 8/80+ has a collapsible column and may be harder to find. Agree Mini truck power steering box 79-85 would have the parts needed. But makes the cost of fixing a simple leak go way up. Makes me think when I ready to install the 40 series power steering setup I have will reseal by myself.

Last edited:
Yes its an 81 and collapsible column. Probably just put it back on for now and just get a can of spinach for Popeye arms. I had to return it after i got it back the first time i reinstalled it then they discovered the spool valve problem

Yes its an 81 and collapsible column. Probably just put it back on for now and just get a can of spinach for Popeye arms. I had to return it after i got it back the first time i reinstalled it then they discovered the spool valve problem

If it's too much work I have a 79 Manual steering box I picked up in 1983 that had 30K miles before the 40 was totaled. Also have a 8/80+ non power steering collapsible steering column if you want to do some trading. Haha

Definitely an option.

I liked the old emoji with the running eyes sarcastic one. Reason I added the haha at the end. But the hobby has changed over the last few years to it's now need to pay to play.
Yes it is. spent 1500 on new seats, 1500 on new ac, no telling how much on heat and sound barrier for the inside added alternator and battery and here we sit. should have just kept adding fluid and lived with it. at least it worked.

Yes it is. spent 1500 on new seats, 1500 on new ac, no telling how much on heat and sound barrier for the inside added alternator and battery and here we sit. should have just kept adding fluid and lived with it. at least it worked.

What shop did the rebuild? A call to West TX off-road might get you set up.

This right here,,,,below.
get a mini truck power steering box and take the guts out of it Tovar’s fix yours.
I'm afraid they jacked my core up. I don't know enough about the box to know if it is. Stuff just doesn't add up

I liked the old emoji with the running eyes sarcastic one. Reason I added the haha at the end. But the hobby has changed over the last few years to it's now need to pay to play.
Pay to
Play with everything today. Amen to that brother👍

One reseller on Rock Auto (recently, anyway) sells a minitruck PS box without requiring a core. Expensive, but available. Look up a PS box for an '82 4x4 pickup, or thereabouts.

I'm afraid they jacked my core up. I don't know enough about the box to know if it is. Stuff just doesn't add up

When your say they jacked up your core you talking the steering box housing? If that is the case I would expect them do work to make it right. Your sent them a power steering box that was working and only leaking. Then you get a box back that does work and not say the housing is bad. How much did they charge you for all of this?

One reseller on Rock Auto (recently, anyway) sells a minitruck PS box without requiring a core. Expensive, but available. Look up a PS box for an '82 4x4 pickup, or thereabouts.

If the housing if messed up it would require a pedestal replacement. Still another expense and work. Would probably source the couple pieces to go manual then see about getting back to a OEM power steering verse modifying the original pedestal. Once you remove the factory rivets on the pedestal is becoming a lot harder to go back to looking like a 100% original setup. Seems a ashame to lose that when it originally had factory installed power steering.

When your say they jacked up your core you talking the steering box housing? If that is the case I would expect them do work to make it right. Your sent them a power steering box that was working and only leaking. Then you get a box back that does work and not say the housing is bad. How much did they charge you for all of this?

If the housing if messed up it would require a pedestal replacement. Still another expense and work. Would probably source the couple pieces to go manual then see about getting back to a OEM power steering verse modifying the original pedestal. Once you remove the factory rivets on the pedestal is becoming a lot harder to go back to looking like a 100% original setup. Seems a ashame to lose that when it originally had factory installed power steering.
Yes I agree. Makes me sick having to make a decision. He said the "spool valve" was bad and could not get another one and was sending it back. I am guessing its the piston looking thingie in 70. I really dont know
how you would mess up a piece of machined metal cleaning it but evidently its possible. What i am pissed most about is why didnt they tell me there was a chance it would return worse than when I sent it, I would have kept lubricating and preventing rust on the underside of my truck with power steering fluid. I really dont have the time or energy to get into a pissing contest with them and at the end of the day I still wont have a truck I can drive, so choosing to move forward and back on the trail after I come up with a solution. Lesson to be learned; "Can you rebuild ??? for me? Sure! Will it work like its supposed to when I get it back??"
1597773608267.png

The PS rigs are rare, tread lightly.
I'm trying to find someone that knows what they are doing that can do the gut swap. I found an old thread and landpimp said he sent his to red head gear in WA. I emailed them to see if they still do rebuilds. Would you know of anyone? Got box back today gonna put back on until I can come up with a solution. Tempted to do it myself but I wouldn't know if the housing is damaged or not and trow more money down the toilet. Thanks for any help.

I'm trying to find someone that knows what they are doing that can do the gut swap. I found an old thread and landpimp said he sent his to red head gear in WA. I emailed them to see if they still do rebuilds. Would you know of anyone? Got box back today gonna put back on until I can come up with a solution. Tempted to do it myself but I wouldn't know if the housing is damaged or not and trow more money down the toilet. Thanks for any help.

I used West TX, but it sounds like you didn’t have good luck with them. Fortunately I found a good donor mini box, the housing we used was new from Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom