JDM FZJ80 Computer Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 92 JDM FZJ80 with a computer throwing 83 84 85. Also have low idle and some other transmission issues. Brought it to the transmission shop today and they didn't really see anything wrong with it. I've scoured this website for information about JDM ECU's and there is little to no discussion that I've seen. Common knowledge for the 93 bad ECU is to replace with the 221 model, but I've been advised that American ECU's will not work. Currently, I'm debating on whether to:

1. Buy a replacement, same model ECU: 89661-60160. This is a gamble as it might just have the same issue.
2. Buy a replacement, but newer ECU: 89661-60290. This seems like a good option, BUT it was made for 95-98 JDM cruisers. I have no idea if this will be compatible.
3. Just keep resetting the ECU and live with the s***ty idle.

Anyone have any ideas? Do you think the 60290 will be compatible?

Parts link:

Is it truly a 1992, FZJ80? It has a 1FZFE Engine in 1992? If cruisers came this way in Japan I was not aware. If it is not an FZJ80 and is an FJ80 that could change things. Please take some pictures underhood and of the ECU and lets see what you have.

I've got a 92 JDM FZJ80 with a computer throwing 83 84 85. Also have low idle and some other transmission issues. Brought it to the transmission shop today and they didn't really see anything wrong with it. I've scoured this website for information about JDM ECU's and there is little to no discussion that I've seen. Common knowledge for the 93 bad ECU is to replace with the 221 model, but I've been advised that American ECU's will not work. Currently, I'm debating on whether to:

1. Buy a replacement, same model ECU: 89661-60160. This is a gamble as it might just have the same issue.
2. Buy a replacement, but newer ECU: 89661-60290. This seems like a good option, BUT it was made for 95-98 JDM cruisers. I have no idea if this will be compatible.
3. Just keep resetting the ECU and live with the s***ty idle.

Anyone have any ideas? Do you think the 60290 will be compatible?

Parts link:

Open the ecu and see if you see any damage like leaking capacitors. Very common for Toyotas of that era

Yeah it's truly a 1992 FZJ80. I have the 1FZ engine. Maybe it's a preproduction 93? But the VIN has 92 right on it. Cruiser is in the shop for possible transmission issues, but they aren't wanting to replace the solenoids due to the 83 84 85.

Open the ecu and see if you see any damage like leaking capacitors. Very common for Toyotas of that era

Agree, I've had several 1KZTE ECUs repaired. The caps on them go bad and leak, usually it makes the trans shift very weirdly, like hunting for gears.

Its a very simple repair for skilled electronics techs.

Agree, I've had several 1KZTE ECUs repaired. The caps on them go bad and leak, usually it makes the trans shift very weirdly, like hunting for gears.

Its a very simple repair for skilled electronics techs.
I had a 1jzgte swap in my old supra and I had to solder caps all the time. I was not smart enough to do them all at once.

I had a 1jzgte swap in my old supra and I had to solder caps all the time. I was not smart enough to do them all at once.

Luckily for me there's a company here in NZ that does a heap of recaps on 90s Toyota ECUs - they do an overnight mail order service - they even have a test rig set up so they can at least verify they power up after repair etc.

Aight, for the random person who finds this on google experiencing the same problem. I managed to fix this issue by buying a new computer off of ebay. I bought the same model number 89661-60160. If the computer dies again I'll update this thread.

I also replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, but I doubt that was actually faulty.

Aight, for the random person who finds this on google experiencing the same problem. I managed to fix this issue by buying a new computer off of ebay. I bought the same model number 89661-60160. If the computer dies again I'll update this thread.

I also replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, but I doubt that was actually faulty.

Ah but now you dont really know, you did the ol' replace two things at once deal so its a mystery forever.:hmm:

Did you open the ECM to check the capacitors, got a photo of the circuit board?

The shop I sent it to opened it up and didn't see anything obvious. I still have the CPU so I guess I can check myself.

For about a month I was a happy camper with my new ECU. Then, after a 3.5 hour drive from Seattle to Bend, the cruiser went back to its old ways. It was particularly bad in one instant where it wouldn't go into reverse and suddenly would shift between 2nd and 3rd. Luckily the transmission funny business stopped after that and drove fine for the rest of the road trip besides the engine light flickering on in typical 83 84 85 fashion. I haven't pulled the codes, but I'm almost certain that's what they'll say.

I'm wondering whether an ECU reset does the trick for a while and then this behavior kicks in. Going to try a rest to see how long that resolves the issue.

On another front, I opened the old ECU... and it's perfect. I've been staring at this circuit board for two hours and I can't find a blown or leaky capacitor to save my life. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I have a background in tech.

I'm at a loss. How am I the only person to experience this specific problem on the internet? Surely there must be plenty of 1992-1995 1FZ JDM Land Cruiser owners out there?

Despite the fact that the truck still drives, I'm starting to think this thing is a lemon. Really at my wit's end here.

Given your course of events, I would find it pretty unlikely that it is unrelated to the ECU or wiring to it given that a new one temporarily fixed it. Was the problem immediately gone after replacement? If so, this is a very good clue. If not a wiring fault causing the new ECU an issue, maybe you wiggled a problem wire to the ECU in the process of changing it and the fault found it sweet spot again. If these were my order of symproms I would probably scour the plugs and harness that got touched during assembly...well Id probably be checking all of it that I could really.

Well a couple months later, the issue has developed a bit. Perhaps now it has gone full circle. After a few months of seeing the engine light come on when down shifting from 4th to 3rd (I think), now I have an O/D light that comes on all the time. This happened before with the old ECU as well. The TCU codes pointed to solenoids last time but the transmission shop said they were fine. I mean wtf. Should I try another transmission shop??

Additionally it shifts into 2nd way too soon (maybe 3rd?) and becomes super sluggish. This is helped somewhat by shifting down to 2 manually. I also think it might not be shifting into overdrive but I'm not sure.

Considering dropping a bunch of cash to rip this ****ing transmission out and put in a manual.

I mean, should I just get them to replace the solenoids? I begged them to look into the solenoids but they didn't think that was the issue.

I had an old car alarm in my 96 fzj80 go bad. I would disconnect the battery and then hook it back up, the cruiser would run fine for a day. The bad alarm would cause shifting issues and the cruise not to work. After I cut the alarm out everything was working normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom