Wanting to install E locker on 92’ front and rear diffs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
First post, mostly been reading and researching rest of forums!!! Great info but I’m having troubles finding e lockers for my 92’ cruiser.

I’m down to possible swapping for 97’ factory locked diffs which From what I can tell will work.

If anyone has installed Elockers on their 91-92’ non-full float Rear axle diff pls do tell .

I’ve found harrop e locker that may work on my front diff. Any info or suggestions would be great.

You can modify the housings to accept e-lockers but I cant see it being worth the trouble. If other locking options are on the table for you its better to go that direction. I think that the factory e-lockers are awesome units....if you happen to already have them. Modding them in....I dunno .

We have swapped factory OEM locked axles into several unlocked rigs.

You can modify the housings to accept e-lockers but I cant see it being worth the trouble.
We have swapped factory OEM locked axles into several unlocked rigs.

Am I wrong in assuming the semi-float axle housing is different from the full-float axle housing? I mean, if the (integrated, non-removable) spindle is the same, it's a full float axle, is it not? If it is different at the spindle end but takes the same diff, that's another story- I just can't see how that is possible. I am talking out of my ass because I've never looked at a 91-92 semi-float axle, but logically it seems like that can't work with a newer (non-c-clip, without diff cover?) third member.

I had a 40, semi-float axle, seems like a whole different beast to me. But I don't know what I'm talking about, unfortunately.

The rear E-locker diff will physically fit in the semi-float housing, but won't work otherwise. You need the longer splines on the passenger side axleshaft, which only come on the FF models. Not to mention there's no way to retain a C-clip shaft inside the different carrier. So for the rear, swap the whole housing and enjoy being FF now. :)

The front you can choose: Modify the existing housing (weld material onto the third member seal surface, cut a notch for the locker fork, drill and tap 4 stud holes), or swap the whole housing.

IMO, the factory electric lockers aren't all that great. After coming from a 91 with ARBs front and rear, the factory lockers on my LX450 just aren't all that.
As opposed to playing around with modifying housings, or axle swaps, I'd just go with one of the several other options out there.

IMO, the factory electric lockers aren't all that great. After coming from a 91 with ARBs front and rear, the factory lockers on my LX450 just aren't all that.
As opposed to playing around with modifying housings, or axle swaps, I'd just go with one of the several other options out there.

that’s what I’m trying to figure out, Ihavent found anyone that makes lockers for the semi float axle. I found a set of locked diffs from a 97’ entire diff, axles and housing (but they are not cheap. , but before I jump the gun I was hoping someone out there has been able to install elocker in 91-92’diff.

that’s what I’m trying to figure out, Ihavent found anyone that makes lockers for the semi float axle. I found a set of locked diffs from a 97’ entire diff, axles and housing (but they are not cheap. , but before I jump the gun I was hoping someone out there has been able to install elocker in 91-92’diff.
ARB has made them for at least the last 20 years. Probably longer. Semi float rear is part# RD153. Requires a different carrier bearing.
You should contact parts professionals like Kurt@Cruiseroutfitters. They stock most applications and can give you all your options.

I installed ARB air lockers front and rear on my 92 and have been happy with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom