1971 FJ40 - PNW Blue Patina (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up this F40 locally a few days ago. Its a Jan of 71.

Outside of being local, it had a lot of what I was looking for. A Fuel-injected V8/Automatic Swap. I grew up working on these motors and feel much more comfortable troubleshooting and wrenching on this setup. My other project car is a 1986 C10 truck which has almost the exact same driveline. It also came with some great patina. I'm a fan of this look, feels like it matches the spirit of a vintage truck so much more than perfectly restored paint.

I'm hoping to document my build here. Everything related to the driveline is nice mechanically currently. I just want to optimize it a bit more for comfort.

Major Plans :
Power Steering Conversion - Looking at doing an Fj60 Box / Saginaw setup
Disk Brakes - Going with 60 series parts here also.

The plan is to go 60 series for power steering and brakes. Overall this approach seems to be quite a bit more than other options (Electric PS and GM Brakes). But I'm hoping it pays off long term with a buy once / cry once approach. I hope this will bring this up to a more modern driving standard and make me feel a bit more in control when driving.

Secondary Plans:
Truck currently has a 4" Skyjacker Lift on it. It just sits a bit too high for me. I'm trying to figure out the best course of action here. I would love to lower it 2". No idea how lower shackles would affect the ride, or maybe I can remove a leaf, even doing this I might need new shocks if I do that anyway. So I might need to just bite the bullet and install an OME suspension and new springs. This apparently goes down to a 1.5" lift from the 4" lift. This will be a 90% road truck. With the occasional camping/hiking weekend. But no plans on wheeling. Hopefully, the lower stance will help it feel a bit more planted. Plus should help the GF get in an out a bit easier.

Thanks for coming along with the journey.

fj40side.jpg

fj40_hood.jpg

Last edited:
Is this the one that was recently on BAT? It looked pretty good.

Really liking the paint

Yup. Same one that was on BaT. Since I was local I was able to chat with the seller after the auction and come to a deal. He was happy it stayed local as he didn't really want to sell it. So he gets to see it around.

The paint was key for me. In-person it just feels so nice. The right amount of character. Need to figure out the best way to preserve it. I've read the @wngrog thread. Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks But I need to sit down and formulate a proper plan of action.

The longer shackles are usually needed for the highly arched springs. You are stuck with them until you can ditch all that. It will drive a lot better on OME and stock height springs for sure.

I’d say go ahead and do rear discs while you are in there. GM style. Lots of kits. I like TSM the best

Great looking 40! I added 60 series power steering to my 40 last year. It isn't hard to do and made it so much easier to drive. Good luck!

The longer shackles are usually needed for the highly arched springs. You are stuck with them until you can ditch all that. It will drive a lot better on OME and stock height springs for sure.

I’d say go ahead and do rear discs while you are in there. GM style. Lots of kits. I like TSM the best

That's my fear. Figured just patching it to lower the height is just delaying the inevitable.

As for rear disk. I have considered it also. I need to sit down and see what the upgrade path is. Ideally, I can do the front disk first. Then do the rears later without having to rebuy components. I will try and future proof my setup as much as possible. At least in regards to master cylinders and boosters if I need to upgrade them.

A more immediate order of business; side view mirrors. Currently, only have a driver-side mirror. Now I'm guessing this isn't a normal arm. Since I haven't seen these searching around. Either way, I need another set or at least a passenger-side mirror.

I have a few options here is seems like. I would like the large convex rectangle mirrors. Seeing well is more important than originality to me.

Now for the arms, it looks like I have a few options. I prefer door-mounted but am not tied to it.

1. Go with Racer65 kit and add CCOT brackets. This seems to be straight forward.

2. Go with OEM door arms then add the convex after. The only way it seems to get both arms is to get a kit like this off eBay. This is a very $$$ approach.

3. Keep the current driver mount and get the passenger side mount and convex mirrors. This is the cheapest way, and I just need to keep a lookout for a driver-side arm to popup for sale. But gets me close to ideal.

fj40side2.jpg
fj40mirror.jpg

Last edited:
A more immediate order of business; side view mirrors. Currently, only have a driver-side mirror. Now I'm guessing this isn't a normal arm. Since I haven't seen these searching around. Either way, I need another set or at least a passenger-side mirror.

I have a few options here is seems like. I would like the large convex rectangle mirrors. Seeing well is more important than originality to me.

Now for the arms, it looks like I have a few options. I prefer door-mounted but am not tied to it.

1. Go with Racer65 kit and add CCOT brackets. This seems to be straight forward.

2. Go with OEM door arms then add the convex after. The only way it seems to get both arms is to get a kit like this off eBay. This is a very $$$ approach.

3. Keep the current driver mount and get the passenger side mount and convex mirrors. This is the cheapest way, and I just need to keep a lookout for a driver-side arm to popup for sale. But gets me close to ideal.

View attachment 2403234View attachment 2403230

www.cityracerllc.com has the correct ones that bolt to the windshield frame

I ended up doing option #3 and ordering the OEM Door Hinge arms and Convex mirror from the dealership. Was also able to find a used driver side one. So should get those bolted up when they come in. I'll be removing the current side view mirror and just putting the screws back in to cover the holes.

I also am working on upgrading the headlights to the 81110-60P70 kit from Toyota. For under $50 it seems like a great bang for your buck upgrade. I also dig the more square look of the headlights.

I however happen to have the old headlight buckets with the pigtail and triangle connector. What's the best course of action here to install the new harness?

1. I cut the back of the bucket out so I can plug directly to the headlights. Then use that pigtail to attach the new relay harness to the old harness. Essentially leaving the main harness and pigtails stock.

2. I can strip and wire in new connectors to the pigtail. Keeping the buckets intact but modify the pigtail that comes out to accept the new relay harness. The main harness and bucket stay intact but the pigtail gets modified.

3. I can get new buckets with the backs already open and get rid of the originals. But I would need to still splice the old harness If I do not keep the pigtails or find a source for the triangle connector.

Thoughts?

IMG_20200816_140113.jpg

IMG_20200816_140413.jpg

IMG_20200815_101242 (1).jpg

@EmanC do you have the Toyota part number for the convex mirrors?

www.cityracerllc.com has the correct ones that bolt to the windshield frame

Out of curiosity - what's the correct size bolt to thread into the lower windshield hinge mount? I picked up a set of the City Racer mirrors and want to make sure I have the correct bolts on hand before I pop them on.

Out of curiosity - what's the correct size bolt to thread into the lower windshield hinge mount? I picked up a set of the City Racer mirrors and want to make sure I have the correct bolts on hand before I pop them on.

I always reuse the ones I pull out

Wow, that's a great 40. Love the color and paint. Both of my 40's over the years were local NW trucks, both purchased new in Auburn. My 74 never wandered further than Port Angeles, and my 79 never left Kitsap County! And to top it off you already have the patina master @wngrog providing some heavy tech! (Do what he says, it'll be right on) Well done!

Finally got the headlight kit installed. Made some adapters for the old closed buckets. The dimmer switch wasn't working. So took it off and deep cleaned it and the contacts. Seems to be working fine now.

The next order of business is fixing the High Beam indicator. I think the bulb is burnt out. Also, I need to troubleshoot the hazard switch. Wasnt working before the headlight upgrade. Just need to figure out go get behind the dash easily to see what's going on.

clsoed bucket.jpg

switch.jpg

I'm thinking about updating my rear lighting. Did a quick photoshop on my thoughts.

Adding a 3rd Brake light. I saw a few posts of other Mud members doing this. Placement seems to be everywhere. Roof, rear hatch, etc. Unsure about this one as cutting into the body makes me a bit apprehensive. Even if just a small wire pass-thru.

Updated turn signals and reverse lights. The plan is to add in lightbars to the bottom of the bumper. Switch over to amber turn signals as opposed to the dual purpose brake/turn markers right now. And beef up the reverse light. Hopefully keeps is pretty subtle yet still visible to drivers.

led_lights.jpg

I picked up this F40 locally a few days ago. Its a Jan of 71.

Outside of being local, it had a lot of what I was looking for. A Fuel-injected V8/Automatic Swap. I grew up working on these motors and feel much more comfortable troubleshooting and wrenching on this setup. My other project car is a 1986 C10 truck which has almost the exact same driveline. It also came with some great patina. I'm a fan of this look, feels like it matches the spirit of a vintage truck so much more than perfectly restored paint.

I'm hoping to document my build here. Everything related to the driveline is nice mechanically currently. I just want to optimize it a bit more for comfort.

Major Plans :
Power Steering Conversion - Looking at doing an Fj60 Box / Saginaw setup
Disk Brakes - Going with 60 series parts here also.

The plan is to go 60 series for power steering and brakes. Overall this approach seems to be quite a bit more than other options (Electric PS and GM Brakes). But I'm hoping it pays off long term with a buy once / cry once approach. I hope this will bring this up to a more modern driving standard and make me feel a bit more in control when driving.

Secondary Plans:
Truck currently has a 4" Skyjacker Lift on it. It just sits a bit too high for me. I'm trying to figure out the best course of action here. I would love to lower it 2". No idea how lower shackles would affect the ride, or maybe I can remove a leaf, even doing this I might need new shocks if I do that anyway. So I might need to just bite the bullet and install an OME suspension and new springs. This apparently goes down to a 1.5" lift from the 4" lift. This will be a 90% road truck. With the occasional camping/hiking weekend. But no plans on wheeling. Hopefully, the lower stance will help it feel a bit more planted. Plus should help the GF get in an out a bit easier.

Thanks for coming along with the journey.

View attachment 2403014

View attachment 2403013
That blue is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom