SOLD Incredible 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser with extremely low miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 100 Series
Mileage
Outside Link
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/san-diego-2000-toyota-land-cruiser-4wd/7172061271.html
Yep. the Carfax is fake he gave me. Still seems like a solid cruiser but it doesn't have 74k miles. He even gave me a fake smog report! He went by the name Tomas Novak. His phone is no longer in service. Does anyone have any ideas on how to act on this?
Nope, nothing much to do. He uses WhatsApp/burner phones and got me as well. Since you paid in cash as well, you don’t have his real name. That is why he wouldn’t take a cashiers check.
He will mess with the wrong person and get a bullet eventually. He posts these for sale every few weeks it seems under different numbers and names

Ignore the accumulated wisdom of Mud at your own peril.

Too many of you newbs are getting ****ed by these crooks. Even after being warned.

Nope, nothing much to do. He uses WhatsApp/burner phones and got me as well. Since you paid in cash as well, you don’t have his real name. That is why he wouldn’t take a cashiers check.
He will mess with the wrong person and get a bullet eventually. He posts these for sale every few weeks it seems under different numbers and names

Well it sounds like someone in the SD area should find his next listing and show up to "take delivery" with the police? Or am I being naive bu thinking a crime like this would actually be taken seriously?

Well it sounds like someone in the SD area should find his next listing and show up to "take delivery" with the police? Or am I being naive bu thinking a crime like this would actually be taken seriously?
People have tried. There are threads about it on reddit as well. They are careful

I also contacted this guy to buy the car - he stopped responding to me when I told him I can only do cashiers check.

Also, during title transfer, didn't you ask to see his ID and make sure the title/registration/vin all matched? Sorry, I am a newb so that might be a stupid question. Just wondering how someone like this can get away with this scam.

How can you have a title and not have his info? I’m not being snide, honestly curious.

How can you have a title and not have his info? I’m not being snide, honestly curious.

Skipped/jumped Title. Yet another tool in the sleazebag flipper's kit.

Did you over pay for it having low miles? If the vehicle is in good shape and you know the true mileage, you lost some money, but it's not like you don't have the car. Unless you paid $10k extra for it, at least you have the cruiser.

Did you over pay for it having low miles? If the vehicle is in good shape and you know the true mileage, you lost some money, but it's not like you don't have the car. Unless you paid $10k extra for it, at least you have the cruiser.

Simply having possession of the vehicle isn't enough.
If the Title hasn't been processed by the DMV yet, then there is still risk of the paper being no good. In my state, some DMV offices are booked out through the end of November.

This is a bad situation. The seller is human garbage.

I’m extremely sorry for reposting this listing on mud. When I originally saw it I had no clue that it was a fake or fakes like this came up so often. Just got into the market myself for a cruiser, so I’m relatively new to all of this. Now I realize it was a terrible mistake to spread these listings around.

I initiated the title transfer. Seemed to go fine. Unfortunately the smog cert was fake and now I have a check engine light on. I seriously hope there are no red flags with the title transfer. I was thinking the same as someone above. It is a really clean truck and drives well. I popped a p305 code and started with plugs and some fuel injector cleaner. I am now doing the coil packs. I definitely over paid for a 280k landcruiser but, not by that much. Has a great service history. I intend to pursue this to the full extent of the law. I have some connections with local law enforcement, FBI and even some private investigators. Thanks for everyones input--we will get this guy

I bought a stolen car once. The DMV investigator came to my house and asked me some questions. Once he realized that I wasn't part of the scam, they allowed the title to transfer to me smoothly because I had spent money and had the car. They were just trying to find the middle links to the chain and I was the end of the chain.

Hopefully there is a good outcome here.

I initiated the title transfer. Seemed to go fine. Unfortunately the smog cert was fake and now I have a check engine light on. I seriously hope there are no red flags with the title transfer. I was thinking the same as someone above. It is a really clean truck and drives well. I popped a p305 code and started with plugs and some fuel injector cleaner. I am now doing the coil packs. I definitely over paid for a 280k landcruiser but, not by that much. Has a great service history. I intend to pursue this to the full extent of the law. I have some connections with local law enforcement, FBI and even some private investigators. Thanks for everyones input--we will get this guy

Good luck!

thank you for the support! Should get the smog in tomorrow and get the title transfer finalized. Will keep everybody posted.

Please do keep us updated. Really crappy situation man. Best of luck

How did everything go? Hope it went smoothly.
Just FYI if this guy is ever found, depending on what he did, falsifying an emissions test could be a federal felony under the Clean Air Act. Five years, typically probated but still on his record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom