Loose Steering(especially at higher speeds) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 1996LC and for the most part it's in great shape. I've had to do a few things such as O2 sensor EGR valve, etc. I noticed the steering is somewhat sloppy/loose at higher speeds. The shop that I've taken it to is saying that it needs a new steering box and pitman which all together is almost $3000. I just can't imagine spending that kind of money just to get the steering tightened up.

Are there any recommendations on what other adjustments or fixes could be done.........I am in the Birmingham Alabama area. This seems like it would be something common on all LC"s as they age and not everyone is replacing the whole assembly.

As always...I appreciate all the insight and advice from everyone.

I recently purchased a 1996LC and for the most part it's in great shape. I've had to do a few things such as O2 sensor EGR valve, etc. I noticed the steering is somewhat sloppy/loose at higher speeds. The shop that I've taken it to is saying that it needs a new steering box and pitman which all together is almost $3000. I just can't imagine spending that kind of money just to get the steering tightened up.

Are there any recommendations on what other adjustments or fixes could be done.........I am in the Birmingham Alabama area. This seems like it would be something common on all LC"s as they age and not everyone is replacing the whole assembly.

As always...I appreciate all the insight and advice from everyone.
Does it have a lift? What about a recent alignment? How are the tie rod ends?

Does it have a lift? What about a recent alignment? How are the tie rod ends?
I have not done an alignment, there is no lift, and I can't answer about the tie end rods. Is this something a "general" mechanic can handle or would you suggest someone else?

I have not done an alignment, there is no lift, and I can't answer about the tie end rods. Is this something a "general" mechanic can handle or would you suggest someone else?
A mechanic with experience in old Toyota 4x4s is probably fine. Is there a little play in the steering wheel at low speeds, or any wandering over pavement?

A mechanic with experience in old Toyota 4x4s is probably fine. Is there a little play in the steering wheel at low speeds, or any wandering over pavement?
[/QUOTEYes sir there is a little paly and wandering.....the wandering seems to be more prevalent at higher speeds.

First, do the EASY and FREE solution. Check the steering box adjuster on top of the steering box.
Loosen lock nut.
Adjust screw clockwise 1/4 turn at a time.
Hold screw and tighten lock nut.
Go for a drive.
Any change?
yes. Adjust more (or less). 40mm of play is factory.
no. Adjust one more time 1/4 turn. If no change, adjust back to 1/2 turn and start looking at worn control arm bushings.

I purchased my Cruiser with the steering box screw out of adjustment. It was a double hand white knuckle ride home. My wife was calling me to ask how I like the new purchase and I could not take my hands off the steering wheel in fear for my life. I found the screw adjustment and 1/2 turn later I could cruise with one hand. It's been a beautiful relationship ever since.

Read up on the forum. You are right that this is common on these as they age and you'll find parts lists and useful information on how you can fix this. You can look into:
  • tire condition and air pressure to make sure your problem isn't here, a driveway rotation can be one way to check to see if a tire is causing issues.
  • toe in of front tires (I may just wait and check this after all mechanical issues are resolved below)
  • loose wheel bearings (check all 4 wheels)
  • loose steering components like rod ends (have someone turn wheel back and forth while you inspect)
  • loose nuts on knuckle bottom
  • loose/worn trunion bearings
  • worn out suspension bushings (all), sway bar bushings are easy, control arms/etc. require new hardware and a press.
  • loose steering box that you can adjust/tighten in place easily but with care
  • worn out shocks
  • caster if you've got a lift or suspension changes from stock
There may be a few other items to attend to along the way but the above covers most that I can recall. All of the above can be diy except possibly caster checking. Even checking rough toe-in isn't that hard. You can likely update all of the above and replace most/all parts encountered with OEM for way less than 3k. I'd have to look but I think I did everything in the list for about half of that, including new tires.

These things track and drive great when completely updated. Early on with my 80 I almost moved to a newer LC/LX to get a better handling rig but now that I've done the above plus sound deadening, interior updates, etc. the difference really isn't that big and the 80 is great for any type of trip in my opinion.

Oh yeah,

As you proceed keep in mind that slack in the steering and tracking are different. The truck can have no steering slack but not track well and vice versa. I actually tightened my steering box up and replaced all steering controls, etc. first which eliminated slack. I still had wandering, especially at speeds when hitting bumps. Suspension bushings were the last item on my 80 which resolve the high speed instability and wandering though every item in my list above did make a noticeable difference in either tracking or steering feel/tightness.

Thanks...I am definitely printing this info up and taking to a shop here in Birmingham. The shop it's in right now is more of general repair facility but I have heard there's a good shop in town that does a lot of LC's.

I had what felt like loose steering. I re-set the "toe in" by adjusting the tie rod and corrected my slightly off-centered steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. It made a noticeable improvement in handling.

Lots of good suggestions above - have you checked the bearings up FR, or are you still in the explore/learn mode?

By loose, do you mean you have alot of travel/rotation of the steering wheel before you change direction - or do you mean it wanders like the tires aren’t pointed with the right amount of toe-in?

How’s the tire tread look?

Are both FR tires wearing evenly, without any ‘scrubbing’ of the treadblocks?

If say you had 1 side where the tread was uneven compared to the other, then that would be a excellent indicator of a problem w/ that side.

Is it just me or does $3000 seem excessive for a steering box and pitman arm? And how would a pitman arm wear out anyway?

All of the above are great advise. Replacing suspension bushings, tie rods and drag link ends will help. The tie rod and drag link ends are fairly easy with a ball joint remover. Also a failed steering stabilizer can allow the wheel to wander a bit and it's fairly easy to replace.

Is it just me or does $3000 seem excessive for a steering box and pitman arm? And how would a pitman arm wear out anyway?

All of the above are great advise. Replacing suspension bushings, tie rods and drag link ends will help. The tie rod and drag link ends are fairly easy with a ball joint remover. Also a failed steering stabilizer can allow the wheel to wander a bit and it's fairly easy to replace.

I want to say boxes were $2K some time back - so :meh:

It’s possible they are that now, but I’d sure try a few used ones myself before resorting to a new one.

A new Toyota power steering box has a larger splined section on the sector shaft, so that necessitates a matching (new) pitman arm also. $3K is still adding a lot of labor cost, I'm thinking.

But I'll echo what everyone else has already said. Identify/rectify any worn/loose components in the front end, adjust steering box play, and most likely you'll be golden.

A new Toyota power steering box has a larger splined section on the sector shaft, so that necessitates a matching (new) pitman arm also. $3K is still adding a lot of labor cost, I'm thinking.

But I'll echo what everyone else has already said. Identify/rectify any worn/loose components in the front end, adjust steering box play, and most likely you'll be golden.
You all are giving some GREAT advice and insight........thank you!

Excessive compared to what dude? I’m just happy a new OEM unit is still available. It’s a genuine made in jpn part for a quarter century old jalopy in a time where you look under hood of supposedly rugged vehicles costing $50k+ that reveal a supply chain dominated by made in China and made in Mexico parts.

And it’s < $3k last I checked. I’m tempted to stash one while I can.

A new steering box from Toyota is $1800, both the 80 and 105 boxes are still available.

Redhead steering will rebuild yours for $355 + a core charge you get back. You can upgrade an 80 box to the 105 sector shaft.

Cheers

A new steering box from Toyota is $1800, both the 80 and 105 boxes are still available.

Redhead steering will rebuild yours for $355 + a core charge you get back. You can upgrade an 80 box to the 105 sector shaft.

Cheers
So it sounds like a good course of action is to try some of the simpler adjustments first...and then if need be, pull out the box and send to Redhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom