73 Turn Signal Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Kind 40 folks,

I've searched the threads and couldn't find a fix.

Before the tub swap, the electrical worked fine. We'll start there.

The blinkers and hazards now do not work. All of the other lights are running properly, all running, brakes, high beams, low beams.
I do not get turn signals or hazards working. I thought it was the flasher relay, so I just replaced that, no go. I have good ground.

The voltage I'm getting from the two wires that go into the relay are: 2.3 volts with the running lights on; when blinker or hazards are applied, I'm getting 10.2-10.5 volts running in the wires that go into the relay. Is this too low?
I haven't gone into the steering column yet, nor have I disconnected and tried to check the inside of the hazard switch.

All thoughts/suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance.

Judge

Are you running regular bulbs or LED? Is there new paint on all the body parts? The reason I ask is because if the ground wires at the lights are not making contact with bare metal they will not work.

Are you running regular bulbs or LED? Is there new paint on all the body parts? The reason I ask is because if the ground wires at the lights are not making contact with bare metal they will not work.
I'm running regular bulbs. I replaced the taillights and front signal lights, so all are factory new with the filament bulbs from the factory.

Grounds all seem good, as I'm getting good light from all of them. The taillights are grounded through the rear bumper and the power probe shows a good ground.

If I'm getting the lights to all power up, doesn't that mean I'm getting good ground?
Also, would the ground from a side marker light impact the blinkers?

even when I apply twelve volts to the flasher relay through the wiring, I still do not produce a flash.

Thanks, I'll run through the suggestions/measurements on that page.

Okay, so I went through the grounds, starting at the main to the neutral terminal. I've cleaned the wiring harnesses, starting at the fuse block and working my way to the switches. I'm getting better voltage now throughout the whole system.

The front turn signals and rear brake lights are all reading solid ground from the powerprobe.

Last night was getting an intermittent random clicking noise through the new flash relay; nothing like it should sound like, but better? Lights are not effected by the clicking noise in the relay.

This morning I took a small file to the inside of the hazard switch harness, both sides, and filed each terminal. Put it back together and now everything is working properly.

Thanks again Bryon for your help. Next...windshield washer sprayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom