Door Handle + Tail Gate Spring Reproduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
MUD

Carrying on from the previous thread regarding tail gate springs and door latch springs (this thread), I'm undertaking recreation of both. Ron (@scrapdaddy ) generously mailed me one of each.

Springs.jpg

I have a spring kit and am feeling confident I can hand-build the tail gate springs. I'll post pics of my attempts and refinements. The door latch spring is a finicky little part, however, and I'm going to try and source a small production run from a spring vendor. With springs, you don't typically see massive discounts when you order in quantity since there is rarely any tooling required. All vendors need is a CAD file, and I'm already there:

Spring-2.jpg

I'll see what vendors are asking for this part, and will meanwhile try to verify my geometry via 1:1 prints and perhaps a 3D printed version with representative dimensions. Stay tuned, and thanks again to Ron for helping this happen.

Calvin

PS: If you haven't noticed, I'm not trying to get rich. I've helped several mudders recreate parts and am just glad to keep this community thriving. Woot!

Well well now. Pretty darn good results for my first pass on the tail gate spring. Here is the little bench-top spring former I'm using:

Spring-4.jpg

And here are the results. Original on the right:

Spring-3.jpg

Spring-5.jpg

A wee bit labor intensive. I'll refine more and report back. Cheers!

MUD

Carrying on from the previous thread regarding tail gate springs and door latch springs (this thread), I'm undertaking recreation of both. Ron (@scrapdaddy ) generously mailed me one of each.

View attachment 2388547

I have a spring kit and am feeling confident I can hand-build the tail gate springs. I'll post pics of my attempts and refinements. The door latch spring is a finicky little part, however, and I'm going to try and source a small production run from a spring vendor. With springs, you don't typically see massive discounts when you order in quantity since there is rarely any tooling required. All vendors need is a CAD file, and I'm already there:

View attachment 2388551

I'll see what vendors are asking for this part, and will meanwhile try to verify my geometry via 1:1 prints and perhaps a 3D printed version with representative dimensions. Stay tuned, and thanks again to Ron for helping this happen.

Calvin

PS: If you haven't noticed, I'm not trying to get rich. I've helped several mudders recreate parts and am just glad to keep this community thriving. Woot!

So cool!

Thanks Calvin.

Got pulled to Ohio this week for work, but I did manage to push that handle spring out to a few shops for quote. I'll report back ASAP.

In the meantime, who needs a tailgate spring? Does $10 plus shipping sound fair to everyone? I doubt many folks need one of these as compared to the door handles, maybe I'm wrong.

Got pulled to Ohio this week for work, but I did manage to push that handle spring out to a few shops for quote. I'll report back ASAP.

In the meantime, who needs a tailgate spring? Does $10 plus shipping sound fair to everyone? I doubt many folks need one of these as compared to the door handles, maybe I'm wrong.

I think we will need them as we start to print our own handles. Otherwise you are scavenging the spring from the old handle. I can't recall if the spring is on the side that breaks? Or the other side...

Hmm why not. Handles and tail gate, please.
Send me a pm.
Thanks
Mike

You guys are awesome. With such interest I think I can get a better end product in less time for less money if I go with a legitimate vendor for the tail gate spring as well. Give me a few days to finalize crap. Thanks for your patience!

Calvin

I'll take door and tailgate springs. Not sure if I need them now, but surely will someday, and happy to help someone making any Pig parts to help keep these alive.

An update on springs:

• Door Handle Springs - I've punched "go" with a spring vendor and will report back with timeline. The part will be made from 302 stainless, which is an improvement over the OEM version. Standard lead time is three weeks but they're a bit idle so I'm expecting faster.
    • Pricing is $10 ea, but buy three and I'll throw in one free! This pricing includes shipping. Woot.
  • Tail Gate Springs - TBD, awaiting vendor quotes.

For those of you who've already requested springs, I'll circle back individually to confirm quantity and continued interest. We're getting there!

Calvin

I'm interested in both options

Gotcha, will add you to the list. Again I'll reach back out when the springs arrive to round up everyone's info (shipping address, payment info, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom