SOLD Incredible 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser with extremely low miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 100 Series
Mileage
Outside Link
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/san-diego-2000-toyota-land-cruiser-4wd/7172061271.html
San Diego California is home for low mile 100 Series Craigslist scams.

Go ahead and ask them for the VIN so you can run a Carfax.

San Diego California is home for low mile 100 Series Craigslist scams.

Go ahead and ask them for the VIN so you can run a Carfax.

I had no clue! Thanks for sharing! How do these scams operate?
Edit: As in is it odometer rollback? From what I can tell, the listing and seller seem pretty legit so far.

I mean just the price makes it look too good to be true.

Agreed, but if I were to purchase I would definitely inspect in person first. So far the pictures look extremely clean and fit the stated mileage. Would it be that someone is trying to pass off a salvage vehicle as clean?

Agreed, but if I were to purchase I would definitely inspect in person first. So far the pictures look extremely clean and fit the stated mileage. Would it be that someone is trying to pass off a salvage vehicle as clean?
I'd guess that when you contact them, the seller would tell you that he has been getting a ton of interest and that the person who puts down a deposit will have rights to the sale.

I'd guess that when you contact them, the seller would tell you that he has been getting a ton of interest and that the person who puts down a deposit will have rights to the sale.

That’s what I expected to happen at first too. However I contacted the seller and so far he’s only been answering the questions I’ve been asking. I’ve also asked for the vin, which he’s agreed to give but hasn’t sent yet.

It's a scam, and pretty sure he's on mud, too.
Call him, they will call you right back, quick.

It's a scam, and pretty sure he's on mud, too.
Call him, they will call you right back, quick.

You can lead a horse to water... something, something, something....

Last edited:
It’s the same guy that rolls back odometers. If you ask for a carfax he’ll send you a picture of an edited car fax printed on paper.

s*** I BOUGHT THAT VEHICLE! How can I tell if I was scammed? Seems really clean and legit. Seems like there has been some paint work other wise very clean

s*** I BOUGHT THAT VEHICLE! How can I tell if I was scammed? Seems really clean and legit. Seems like there has been some paint work other wise very clean
Changing miles on a 2000 100 is simple. Remove the instrument cluster, swap in one with lower miles from a wreck, drive down the road. The miles are ONLY kept in the odometer, there is nothing to 'roll back'.

Changing miles on a 2000 100 is simple. Remove the instrument cluster, swap in one with lower miles from a wreck, drive down the road. The miles are ONLY kept in the odometer, there is nothing to 'roll back'.

Ugggh - as if I did not already have enough trust issues while shopping for a 100 series 👎🏼

Last edited:
Yep. the Carfax is fake he gave me. Still seems like a solid cruiser but it doesn't have 74k miles. He even gave me a fake smog report! He went by the name Tomas Novak. His phone is no longer in service. Does anyone have any ideas on how to act on this?

Damn sorry to hear that - that guy is a real piece of garbage. Maybe others will chime in with a better course of action - but I would start by filing a police report. That’s definitely fraud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom