Builds A New 55 Owner Intro (cgn1976 thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I posted an intro this am in the 40/55 Tech area. Didn't see this section, but was reffered here by a few people already. I'm gonna just copy the post here to get in front of more 55 folks.

My name is Cody and I'm in Albuquerque, NM. Well, I shocked myself and the wife when I won a pretty darn clean, 73 FJ55 Sunday AM on ebay! Lucky me, right? Thought I had no chance at my bid, but the Pig gods were apparently on my side. I'm a total noob on these trucks and based on what I've read on this forum so far, probably way over my head! My skills are pretty limited as a wrench, as I don't do much more than the basics. I've done brakes, shocks, plugs, cv axels, and basic bolts on, etc, have a lot of audio and wiring experience though, and even managed to install a supercharger on a Solara back in the early 2000's! I've owned a 60 T-Brid, and 69 C10 Chevy, plus about 7 different new model Toyota Trucks and SUV's over the years, but I'm certainly in foreign land with this beast! That said, I can't weld or fabricate, and don't have a great space to do much dirty work being in a regulated suburban hood, haha.

Hopefully, with this rig, I won't need to do too much of that, and quite frankly don't plan to. Not looking to build a trail rig. Just want it sitting on 33's, maybe a small lift if they rub too much, and the ability to occasionally hit the local ski hills with it in the winter or turn the heads of all the Range Rover Drivers at the school drop off! I probably just offended half of the people on here! Hopefully not. Seems like a great forum full of helpful folks. I've actually used it to figure some lift and tire info out on my 05 Sequoia, which is still the daily. Got my initial sights on rear shoulder belts and a no-headunit bluetooth audio system, maybe pertronix to replace the points.

So, I'd love the hear what the experts think of the new rig. Was $17,900 insane? Recent sales data has me thinking no. Does it look solid? Is everyone laughing at me? I know I certainly am! The rig is out of New Hampshire and belongs to a guy who owns a Toyota Dealership, and this is apparently part of his "personal collection", according to his seller. It's been serviced by the dealer shop for years, which is a new concept for me. Who can afford that unless you own the place? Oh wait... 71k miles, pretty much stock from what I can see, newish clean paint, solid rust wise, super clean all around. Yes, I bought it sight unseen. I won’t see it for I'd guess 10 days. I hear the laughing getting louder.! It's OK. I can take it. Tell me I'm an idiot. My wife already has about 9 times. Here's a few images.

Idiot who got ripped or not, I look forward being a member here and I'm sure I'll be leaning on this place and all of you to keep me from going nuts!

Best to everyone and wish me luck!!!

piggy.JPG

piggy3.JPG

piggy4.JPG

piggy6.JPG

piggy8.JPG

Welcome aboard! you've found the right place if you can handle a few shots once in a while. :) Beautiful looking wagon and not a bad price to pay if she's not all rusted away under the paint.

First off, get rid of that front bumper.....period.

What I like like about this site, is someone knows something about everything. In other words somebody has had the same problems and has gone down the same road as the rest of of us, so buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Welcome aboard! you've found the right place if you can handle a few shots once in a while. :) Beautiful looking wagon and not a bad price to pay if she's not all rusted away under the paint.

First off, get rid of that front bumper.....period.

What I like like about this site, is someone knows something about everything. In other words somebody has had the same problems and has gone down the same road as the rest of of us, so buckle up and enjoy the ride.
haha! yeah, I'm good with a few shots. Hopefully I get to the point where I know enough that I can eventually deliver a few! Yeah, I can touch that bumper from here and truck hasn't left New Hampshire yet! I asked about the rust/mud combo, as I made that miskate 20 years ago on my T-Bird and was assured it's not, but I guess have to wait and see! The under carriage looks pretty good so I fguerd the rest ought to be, but you NEVER KNOW!

I'm a total noob on these trucks and based on what I've read on this forum so far, probably way over my head!

Got my initial sights on a no-headunit bluetooth audio system

Priorities, might want to set them once you take possession.

Was $17,900 insane?

Nope not at all, $17,900 gets you a paint job here where I live.

So, I'd love the hear what the experts think of the new rig

I’m not one of the experts but I think based on the five photos you posted you found a reasonably good pig with a new paint job and paid about the going rate for a reasonably good pig with a new paint job.

I read that you don’t plan or have the ability to do a bunch of maintenance and again based on your five photos you are going to need to get dirty sooner than later, smart money at this point might find a Toyota mechanic in your area and let them give you a report on what might be needed then go from there.

Priorities, might want to set them once you take possession.

Nope not at all, $17,900 gets you a paint job here where I live.

I’m not one of the experts but I think based on the five photos you posted you found a reasonably good pig with a new paint job and paid about the going rate for a reasonably good pig with a new paint job.

I read that you don’t plan or have the ability to do a bunch of maintenance and again based on your five photos you are going to need to get dirty sooner than later, smart money at this point might find a Toyota mechanic in your area and let them give you a report on what might be needed then go from there.
Thanks for reply. I hear ya on the sight setting, granted I have the parts in the shed other than a $30 BT receiver for the audio stuff. Chances are I put the 33's on pretty quick too, unless I have some mechincal issues they lied to me about. I have some 33 Cooper AT's on my 05 Sequoia (same lug pattern) so I can test fit in 10 minutes. I also have some good bolt on 1.5" wheel spacers I ran for 30k miles no issue in the garage from before I got my new wheels on the 05 in case I need/want a little room. The seller told me it was just inspected by their dealer shop, and said it fires right up everytime, & drives great. She should be ready to go. The seller gets fantastic reviews from buyers so I feel alright that this is a good runner as she sits and not just a paint job, but Ill find out the truth soon enough! The one thing I take solice in is I have a great Toyota shop that I've been getting work done at for years now. Plan to get it to them as soon as I get it here.

Welcome to the Sty! That sounds like a good price to me. Either way, you're gonna love it. I was in a similar spot about 5 years ago when I bought mine on Ebay. IMHO, these rigs are never "done." We just care for them and improve them a little bit each passing year. Enjoy the journey. This is a great group.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard!! What a cool couple of coincidences with this (maybe not?).
One of our top tier members is in NH ( @bobm ) and has probably seen this Cruiser at one point or another.
Then you being in Albuquerque, which is home to @abqcruiser , yet coincidentally again, just finished building a new shop! Unbelievable! This is gonna be great! Congratulations :cheers:

YAHOO looks like a great score!!! We all want more pics so don't get bent if we keep hounding you. These pigs are not science projects. Yours is as simple as it gets. Minimal smog. A carburetor and a distributor and obviously you can spell so you've got it made. Sure your an idiot, but all men are and your wife knew that when she married you. So she's telling you she loves you 9 times more then she did before the big pig purchase.

Groove on. You have come of age.

More )_(&)(*^*(&%*&^$&$#&^%#&^%# pictures. PLEASE!!!! they are like meth to these gladiators, its what idiots live for.

(was that to much guys? Did you feel the love. I hope I didn't scare the newbie away)

What dealer in NH and town??. I can deliver via Magruder trail to you house 😉😉🐷
Hah. I'm guessing those 29" tires on there aint gonna get it done going that route! Fenton Volvo Toyota I beleive. Not exactly my neck of the woods. I'll keep it in mind if the shipping goes over $1500 ; )

It looks like you got a great pig. And if the few pics that you have are representative, then I think you got a great deal too!

You'll enjoy this forum. There are pigs in all stages of repair. Also, the folks on this forum are very helpful and you'll often find yourself laughing out loud!

Onward!
Mike

Bring on that wagon people. I love it! Hey, I went to Arizona State in the 90's so I have a BS degree in "Idiot". As for the non-science project aspect of it, I admit it, I had no choice but to buy mostly done if i wanted in the game, but am damn glad I bought my ticket! I have very clear memories of playing with a plastic toy one of these in the sandbox in preschool and seeing them around town in the late 70's. Being the prior owner of two 4 Runners, a charged Taco, 2 Tundras, a 100 LC, and a 460GXLexus (wife's current rig), this just seemd like the eventual ending place for me.
As for pics, I have a few more from ebay. The rest will come when I get that bad boy! Already have plans to show it to ABQCruiser and see his amazing ride. I gotta say, I'm in awe of what a lot you guys can do yourself with thise things! Anwya, thanks for the punches erveyone. Not scaring off that easy!

Welcome Cody, I think you should fly to New Hampshire and do a meet and greet with @bobm and your new pig. You won't find a better pig guru than him.
Heck you could even turn it into a road trip and take him to Idaho for PP2020. :D
Hah! If I didn't have to wear a space suit to fly these days I'd think about it! That and I'm stuck working from home all day while I simutaneously protcor my kids digital home based public school expereiment! Your idea sounds a lot better!

find a Toyota mechanic in your area and let them give you a report on what might be needed then go from there.
Disagree! OP needs to get busted knuckles and elbow deep into this ASAP. We'll assess the pics and the story and steer him straight. Don't need no stinkin' "Professionals" around here.

Ooooh, I did not see that front bumper pic in your earlier post...that is not good. Does the rear bumper match? Hope not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom