Migrated from 4wd to 2wd: Lockers or traction boards or what? Need help guys! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day guys!

I’m from the Philippines and I recently came from an hdj80 landcruiser and a hilux, and now find myself with a 2020 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 diesel AT(hiluxed based suv, but basically suspension and engine is practically bolt on to a prado 120/1) and I have a big dilemma!

Since I’m now driving a 4x2 I thought my trail days were behind me but I find myself trying to still offroad. So now I’m looking at whether an arb air locker in the rear would be a good investment considering its high cost. Either that or i can just do traction/recovery boards which are significantly cheaper to do but less sexy hahaha. With my new family and starting career as a lawyer I find myselfdriving on-road 99% of the time and have to find reasons like camping etc to go offroad unlike before. So I’m wondering if an arb locker would be a justifiable investment jn a 4x2 or should i just save up and buy a dedicated trail rig like an older landcruiser prado 120 or an older fortuner.

ive currently setup my 2020 Fortuner with toughdog 2” lift coil springs, Bilstein B6 4600 offroad shocks (yesthe proper 2” lift lengths), 285/70/17 KO2 (C load), and a tjm snorkel. Would this be enough to compensate for a 2wd open diff or what? LSD isnt an option since there arent any LSDs for my diff. (Rear diff uses a 12 bolt 32” axle spline and is around 8.9”)

9B030EC2-CA76-4896-B9FF-713E3824455D.jpeg

238A8E71-1162-4669-AF6F-9EF42F067CEC.jpeg

And heres my old favorite 80 series clocked in at 550000 kms before selling (1hdt never required an overhaul)

5A3022D3-80FB-4596-B1DC-97C9AFED6101.jpeg

Looks good! Very unique for this forum!
Regarding traction, do you have any of the factory traction control electronics?
I have MaxxTrax and yes they work great, but not always in snow, but I really don't think that is an issue with your location.
You can also mount a stealth winch behind the front bumper, or a receiver in the front and back with a removable winch. That will get you out of most everything.
Yes, having an air locker will cost about $1100 USD, but is nice because not only will you have the rear locker, BUT... you will also have the compressor for any little emergency that comes up, from having to air up your tires, filling a slow leak, pool/beach toys, air mattress, blowing off dust and dirt from your dash, interior, etc.
I have had compressors on my last three vehicles and will probably always have one.

Wow one really doesn’t come across Fortuners here! Congratulations on the purchase. I would say start off with the cheap stuff first and then work your way up. So traction boards first and go forward from there. I like the @r2m stealth winch idea too!

Reactions: r2m
Looks good! Very unique for this forum!
Regarding traction, do you have any of the factory traction control electronics?
I have MaxxTrax and yes they work great, but not always in snow, but I really don't think that is an issue with your location.
You can also mount a stealth winch behind the front bumper, or a receiver in the front and back with a removable winch. That will get you out of most everything.
Yes, having an air locker will cost about $1100 USD, but is nice because not only will you have the rear locker, BUT... you will also have the compressor for any little emergency that comes up, from having to air up your tires, filling a slow leak, pool/beach toys, air mattress, blowing off dust and dirt from your dash, interior, etc.
I have had compressors on my last three vehicles and will probably always have one.

thanks mate! Yeah nah toyota philippines didnt do the fortuner justice. They took out all the good bitsfrom the fortuner. Kept it for the one single 4wd variant which is the top of the line one. Big difference kn price. No traction control or factory lockers in any 2wd variant. Might as well be driving a sedan!
But yeah will start with maxtraxx. Between aN air locker and a winch which is better? I like that idea that i can get the dual compressor for both tires and locker.
How about a Lokka autolocker in the rear diff? Is it bad for a daily driver? Some say its good others say its the worst.

Wow one really doesn’t come across Fortuners here! Congratulations on the purchase. I would say start off with the cheap stuff first and then work your way up. So traction boards first and go forward from there. I like the @r2m stealth winch idea too!
That makes sense to start from that thanks! Its just so frustrating that there arent any LSDs available for my diff since this is the first time in 20+ yrs toyota decided to deviate from their standard diffs. And all markets overseas come with factory lockers 2wd/4wd variants except our market. If there was a torsen diff available id get it in a heartbeat

Is it too late to trade it in for another Toyota model??? Or visit a nearby country (Australia??) and purchase a Prado or equal to ship. Although, is the Philippines right hand drive?

I've only spent a little bit of time in Manilla and around Batangas so I really have no idea what parts are available. But I did drive a Fortuner while I was there last. Only time I've driven one. Probably pretty hard to source- but who knows? - my understanding is that the USA Tacoma 2016+, Hilux, and Fortuner share the same rear differential. Might be possible to find an e-locker rear OEM diff that would fit.

Always seemed odd to me that Toyota upgraded the rear diff in the fortuner to a bigger newer unit than the rear diff in the Prado/GX.

Ideally I think trading for a 4x4 would be the best option. Otherwise for the best functional benefit I'd probably go rear locker, winch, then traction boards - although that may be the reverse direction for the cost of each option.

As I related elsewhere, I had an uncle who was REALLY big into racing: He crew chiefed Indy for Mickey Thompson, ran Lion's Drag Strip, was a major designer of Challenger IV (land speed record @ over 400 mph), and others. One year him & Bill Stroppe did pre-running for Thompson & Dick Cepek; Stroppe told him that he could get out of just about anything with a winch and 2WD. (My cousin got a Stroppe Bronco for a wedding present but her husband totaled it while the lived in Tahoe!)

Reactions: r2m
My uncle worked/was friends with Bill Stroppe. Stroppe did a pre-runner trip for Mickey Thompson on the Baja with a 2WD and a winch. Got him out of anything he got into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom