2013 LX570 with AHC failures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.discreetballistics.com
1596974361042.png

Looking for recommendations.

We were on a group ride yesterday and the AHC system on my 13 LX decided to go into low height and not come out. Leaving the vehicle off for 5 minutes seemed to get the pump working again and it returned to normal height. Picture above is with the rig in normal height.

Backstory:

I purchased this truck in early spring 2020 with 112K miles. Truck was in fine shape but definitely wasn't babied - figured it was the perfect candidate for a New England overland style build. In the process of reading about these trucks on this forum I found that many folks saw great improvement with both an AHC fluid flush and globe replacement. Was able to do both before the Slees got installed and the ride was indeed much better.

Flash forward a month and I mounted a set of RW with 34" Ridge Grapplers. Naturally I wanted to see the truck in its highest suspension setting. Move the switch up and the rear raises first and then the front raises - cool. I get out of the vehicle to take a look and sure enough the front looks like it's in normal height and the rear looks like it's in high. Weird. So window open and door closed I cycle the system again this time using a broom handle from outside the truck so i can see it raise in real time. Sure enough the truck raises from N to H but once it reaches its max height in the front it dips back down to N height while the rear remains in the H setting. FWIW I did a sensor lift on the vehicle on the recommendation of many of you here. No errors on dash.

First place I look is the AHC tank (behind the RR fender liner for those who don't know) to see if there was fluid. It was low so I added some more and bled the system. No change. Couple of weeks later same issue going into High decided to bleed the system again, lots of air bubbles come out, then clean pink fluid - no change.

At this point my thought process is:

The truck stays in normal just fine and with the sensor lift there is no rubbing with the 34" Nittos. Combine that with the rad AL Dissent bumper and my approach angle is probably good enough for anything I'd do towing our trailer. This is an overlanding rig and not a crawler so let's file this one away for a later date and address the numerous other ongoing life fires.

Yesterday we got the entire family (2 Ridgebacks, one excited wife and 4yo little savage) loaded into to the truck for a group ride. Point man indicates over GMRS to engage 4LO when we get to the base of a gnarly uphill. 4LO engaged the LX starts to raise up to H and sure enough I see the front fall back to normal after it reached the peak. Whatever, I've got plenty of clearance and tire, I thought. Start making it uphill and I notice the vehicle is now indicating L height - WTF! Make it to the top and get out to take a look and see the truck is indeed in the low setting front and rear. Pressing the lever up doesn't do anything. So I let the vehicle sit for a few minutes with the engine off. Upon start up the vehicle gets back to Normal height setting. Rather than risk holding everyone up we decide to bail on the ride before getting to some more difficult sections which require 4LO. Get out to the trail head and notice the rig is in the Low height setting again, let the vehicle sit for a couple of minutes no change. Get the truck to the gas station to fuel and air up and let it sit for a while. Truck eventually returns to Normal height.

Techstream:

Once we get home I break out my Jolly Roger copy of techstream for the first time and connect the vehicle to try to see what's going on. Codes below are what showed up - notice nothing current and nothing pending. Only time I saw the AHC light on the dash was when I flushed the fluid and did the globes and it went away quickly so I'm wondering if those are the stored codes? The real kick in the balls is the software kept crashing when I attempted to run the various AHC tests - I guess you get what you pay for haha.

1596974464203.png

Where I'm at now:

As of writing this I am at somewhat of a loss of what to do. I am tempted to delete the system and install an OME, KING or ICON coilover kit and electrical tape the AHC warning light but I don't want to give up on the AHC just yet. On a whim I purchased an OEM pump module ($900) with the intention of installing it but I don't want to be in a position where I'm just throwing expensive parts at the truck and praying it works. The last thing I want to do is bring it to my local Lexus dealer as they never even touched the AHC system, even forgoing the recommended 60K flush. I do have a customer who is the GM of a Lexus dealership. Maybe he could lead me to the AHC guru if there is such a person? Does anyone know of an indy shop with experience working on AHC?

Sorry you were having problems.

May I ask how much of a sensor lift was done? Could be the system gets pegged out when combining sensor lift and high mode.

Do you know how heavy your build is? Payload capacity drops off with sensor lift. Could also be the system is detecting too high of suspension pressure and reverting to a lower height. Normally, the steel springs share a portion of supporting the payload. By sensor lifting, AHC hydraulics are being asked to support a greater share as the steel springs relax with increased ride heights. There's ways to augment the system for greater payload with OEM shock spacers in front and spring spacers rear.

How much fluid were you low?

Sorry for all the questions but trying to isolate where the problem may lie. Truck looks great btw.

What's your fluid level at normal height?

I wouldn't ditch the entire system just yet...
Someone just ripped out their system, and you might be able to buy all the parts from him.

One of your codes is common with low fluid. Could also be your pump. Any strange sounds when it's running?

Last edited:
I am maxed out in front and 3/4 maxed in the rear on the sensor lift. I do not know how much it weighs but my guess would be 6500 if stock truck is 6000lbs (we deleted the third row and 2nd row two person bench but added single drawer, sliders, winch, Aluminum bumper, rack, etc.) Fluid was just below the fill line. Thanks for your help!

What's your fluid level at normal height?

I wouldn't ditch the entire system just yet...
Someone just ripped out their system, and you might be able to buy all the parts from him.

Could be your pump based on those codes.

1596983273780.png

2150 lumens behind it shows it's right on the max line in normal height

When you perform the bleeds, are you bleeding front driver -> front pass -> rear driver -> rear pass?

have you bled the 5th accumulator on the drivers side?

When you perform the bleeds, are you bleeding front driver -> front pass -> rear driver -> rear pass?

have you bled the 5th accumulator on the drivers side?
Yes, I did it in that sequence - furthest to closest to pump. 5th accumulator!? Where is that?

Yes, I did it in that sequence - furthest to closest to pump. 5th accumulator!? Where is that?
It's behind a metal shield on the driver's side... right in the middle of the truck. 2 10mm bolts, I think. I usually do that one first before the 4 corners.
I don't think it could be causing your issues, though. Unless there's a leak or it has a lot of air in it 🤷🏻‍♂️

+1 for checking the sensor lift. I had an armature for one of my sensors seize and it caused all sorts of havoc for a bit. I would try bringing the front down 3/4 of an inch with the sensor bracket and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Hope you find answers! Piling on armchair opinions, this seems like a fluid issue. Either there is air and it’s not making enough, Or you have a pump issue.

Stating the obvious - hitting the trail with a known issue will always result in a bad day.

I'm gonna go with too much weight (front bumper, sliders, you, ma, little Savage, dogs and Stuff .. and maybe a trailer?) to maintain HI without the spring assist you would typically get had you not sensor-lifted. See TeCKis300's post above. AHC is awesome...but it wants you to pay attention to max GVWR. Your new N is probably the old H before you sensor lifted.

This is exactly what my LX470 would do when I had too much cargo and a trailer. Couldn't get the rear to stay at N.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go with too much weight (front bumper, sliders, you, ma, little Savage, dogs and Stuff .. and maybe a trailer?) to maintain HI without the spring assist you would typically get had you not sensor-lifted. See TeCKis300's post above. AHC is awesome...but it wants you to pay attention to max GVWR. Your new N is probably the old H before you sensor lifted.

This is exactly what my LX470 would do when I had too much cargo and a trailer. Couldn't get the rear to stay at N.

i have to disagree on this.... I' don't have any issues at 8,000 lbs.

Can't argue with that. Did you sensor lift?
Disregard - I just read your small print. 725 pounds over GVWR is pretty damn amazing.

Full sensor lift plus another ~.5" with the offset utility. I honestly didn't know I was that much over until I started adding things up. I don't even have the spacers in yet 🤷‍♂️

4lo automatically puts the truck in xhigh. So that is the issue, as you can’t sustain H right now. You are overlifted as indicated above, and possibly there is a pump pressure issue too.
34”‘shouldn’t require much if any sensor lift, So as suggested back that off to as little as possible, zero would be where I’d start.
Verify at that setting you can get into and sustain h and xH (4lo).
Then if you have to to clear in L for a low parking structure put on a small amount of front sensor lift.
I also Agree with spacers if you are heavy, @radman is feeding his truck Sacrifice jeeps once a month.
Don’t yank it out yet...

4lo automatically puts the truck in xhigh.

i think you have to be in 4Lo AND have a wheel off the ground.

FC026024-674B-44AA-8AB2-4E5266D7E756.jpeg

I also Agree with spacers if you are heavy, @radman is feeding his truck Sacrifice jeeps once a month.

I still have 2 years left on my "platinum extended warranty". If anything happens, I'll put the stock wheels back on, remove the wheel spacers, remove the swingarms, and then roll into the dealer and act dumb. 😂

Last edited:
i think you have to be in 4Lo AND have a wheel off the ground :squint:
Have to go look at the flow chart again but I think it’s under 19 mph and in 4lo.

It's behind a metal shield on the driver's side... right in the middle of the truck. 2 10mm bolts, I think. I usually do that one first before the 4 corners.
I don't think it could be causing your issues, though. Unless there's a leak or it has a lot of air in it 🤷🏻‍♂️
Will running new fluid through all 4 corners also get new fluid to the 5th accumulator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom