72 FJ 40 Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was towing my 67 FJ40 resto mod back to Spokane I met a gentlemen in Butte who saw my rig in the campsite and lived nearby. He told me he had bought a 72 FJ40 off of a first owner neighbor and wasn't really sure what he had. He asked me to come look at it. Long story short I ended up buying it due to the small amount of rust
71 one.jpg
71 one.jpg
72 3.jpg
72 4.jpg
72 5.jpg
72 6.jpg
. Anyway it appears to me that it is a factory soft top. That is my first question, is it? How do you tell? Ive heard that that he light between the glove box and door is an indicator. Also is the roll bar original? In looking at the engine is the exhaust original? Also if anyone could point me to posts dealing with soft tops I would appreciate it! I love this thihg!

Factory roll bars were not available for the 72 model year, so that’s not an original but may be a factory unit from a later model year.

Yep, FST. Tailgate, vadar light, eye hooks in the door frame, soft top bow and doors, soft top mounting brackets in the rear bed. Nice find! Would love to check it out in person!

Aftermarket roll cage, headers, and looks like maybe a Weber carb.

Nice find!

Roll bar and mount on driver rear quarter panel are aftermarket.

The roll bar is probably a Smittybuilt. They are not that uncommon.

It is a '72 FST; I have one purchased from original owner. KingAir hit all the points...." ..Yep, FST. Tailgate, vadar light, eye hooks in the door frame, soft top bow and doors, soft top mounting brackets in the rear bed. Nice find! Would love to check it out in person!..."

Nice looking truck; great find. What is the production date from tag on A post?

It is a '72 FST; I have one purchased from original owner. KingAir hit all the points...." ..Yep, FST. Tailgate, vadar light, eye hooks in the door frame, soft top bow and doors, soft top mounting brackets in the rear bed. Nice find! Would love to check it out in person!..."

Nice looking truck; great find. What is the production date from tag on A post?
May 72

Nice find! Looks to be in great shape! Not sure how rare the FST is, but it's a sweet looking truck and appears to be in amazing condition. \

I have a 72 FST as well. Enjoy!

Sweet FST. You did well saving that one. 👍

1. I think your carburetor might be a Rochester (could be wrong) that has the float bowl that vents directly to the atmosphere, i.e. dirts/sand/mud does not have to go through the air cleaner to drop directly into the float bowl. If that's the cast you might want to take a look at my ebay #264808304851, it is already full baffled, and has chimney for off road use- - -check out ebay #254412375238, especially the 3 drawings.
2. I believe you have the Downey 3 into 2 into 1 Header- - -if so it's a home run, but you could remove it, sand tubes smooth, then coat with 2,000 degree heat paint- - -no to be confused with poo poo 1,200 or 1,600 degree heat paint.

Factory roll bars were not available for the 72 model year, so that’s not an original but may be a factory unit from a later model year.

roll bar is aftermarket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom